• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa V New Zealand July 8th 2015

I can imagine Scotland have big eyes on this test.

Really glad we finally got to Samoa, it's really unbelievable we have never played there before. Especially given how much they have given to NZ Rugby.

Tom Taylor, Charlie Ngatai and Seta Tamanivalu have been called up to the training squad for Samoa. Glad to see Ngatai there. Definite contender for spots from next year onwards, would be a good bench player for us. Just love his balanced style of play and his ability to kick well (something we haven't really had in the midfield for ages)

Yeah it'll be a great experience for the people of Samoa - I'm sure many of these guys idolize the All Blacks just as much as their national team from the images I've seen. It's a shame that rugby is so profit driven, but it is a professional business these days so that's just part and parcel of it. Glad we got to this stage. It was looking shakey at one point, and I still don't believe their administrative issues have been resolved. Lots of corruption. But now is the time to enjoy, throw stones later.

From an ABs perspective, if Carter starts which looks likely then I hope he continues his awesome form that he showed for the Crusaders in the later rounds.

Tom Taylor, Charlie Ngatai and Seta Tamanivalu have been called up to the training squad for Samoa. Glad to see Ngatai there. Definite contender for spots from next year onwards, would be a good bench player for us. Just love his balanced style of play and his ability to kick well (something we haven't really had in the midfield for ages)

I read that too, but I'm not sure what's going on here ... It looks like they are short of outside backs; I know Taylor plays Fullback, but it looks like they are a little thin on the wing. I'm happy for Ngatai if he gets selected, but the Maori All Blacks will miss him and his leadership. Tamanivalu certainly has potential, but I'm not sure on form, that he is ready or warrants selection; maybe they want to give him a try on the wing, but more likely that they are giving him some exposure to the training squad

Edit: - it seems that some of the six players called into the AB squad will play according to Steve Hansen

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...against-samoa-in-apia-says-coach-steve-hansen

Im still struggling to see who the outside backs will be, as the article says that both Dagg and Piutau won't be fit for a whole game, Slade already looks like he was going to be needed on one wing, Tamanivalu is probably going to be given a go next year (so the article says), so does SBW start at 12, Ngatai at 13, and Crotty on the Wing?

Last edited:
I read that too, but I'm not sure what's going on here ... It looks like they are short of outside backs; I know Taylor plays Fullback, but it looks like they are a little thin on the wing. I'm happy for Ngatai if he gets selected, but the Maori All Blacks will miss him and his leadership. Tamanivalu certainly has potential, but I'm not sure on form, that he is ready or warrants selection; maybe they want to give him a try on the wing, but more likely that they are giving him some exposure to the training squad

Edit: - it seems that some of the six players called into the AB squad will play according to Steve Hansen

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...against-samoa-in-apia-says-coach-steve-hansen

Im still struggling to see who the outside backs will be, as the article says that both Dagg and Piutau won't be fit for a whole game, Slade already looks like he was going to be needed on one wing, Tamanivalu is probably going to be given a go next year (so the article says), so does SBW start at 12, Ngatai at 13, and Crotty on the Wing?

I'm expecting a lineup of:

1 Woodcock/Crockett
2 Mealamu
3 Franks
4 Retallick
5 Whitelock
6 Kaino/Messam
7 Todd
8 Read
9 Ellis
10 Carter
11 Slade
12 Williams
13 Crotty
14 Piutau
15 Dagg

16 Elliot
17 Crockett/Woodcock
18 Faumuina
19 Romano
20 McCaw
21 Weber
22 Ngatai
23 Moala

Ngatai on at fullback and Moala on the wing.

I can imagine Scotland have big eyes on this test.

Really glad we finally got to Samoa, it's really unbelievable we have never played there before. Especially given how much they have given to NZ Rugby.

Don't get me started on how much statements like these annoy me.

Has Ken Pisi played much fullback?
I remember the first time he played there for Saints and it was arguably the worst fullback play I've ever seen - even worse than Monye for England!

Ashee Tuala is a good fullback, but sadly got injured back end of the season for saints.

I'm expecting a lineup of:

1 Woodcock/Crockett
2 Mealamu
3 Franks
4 Retallick
5 Whitelock
6 Kaino/Messam
7 Todd
8 Read
9 Ellis
10 Carter
11 Slade
12 Williams
13 Crotty
14 Piutau
15 Dagg

16 Elliot
17 Crockett/Woodcock
18 Faumuina
19 Romano
20 McCaw
21 Weber
22 Ngatai
23 Moala

Ngatai on at fullback and Moala on the wing.

Faumauina won't play, he's just had neck surgery and will be out for 6 weeks.

Have any teams been announced yet? Or does anyone know when they will be?

Have any teams been announced yet? Or does anyone know when they will be?

Came in here to ask the same thing. I'm hoping it's Monday (NZ time). Really interested to see what the All Blacks go with.

All Blacks team named

All Blacks:
Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu, Owen Franks, Luke Romano, Samuel Whitelock, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Andy Ellis, Daniel Carter, Charles Piutau, Sonny Bill Williams, Ryan Crotty, George Moala, Israel Dagg. Reserves: Hika Elliot, Wyatt Crockett, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Matt Todd, Brad Weber, Colin Slade, Charlie Ngatai.

Last edited:
All black team to face Samoa.

1.) Tony Woodcock
2.) Keven Mealamu
3.) Owen Franks
4.) Luke Romano
5.) Sam Whitelock
6.) Jerome Kaino
7.) Richie McCaw (C)
8.) Kieran Read

9.) Andy Ellis
10.) Dan Carter
11.) Charles Piutau
12.) Sonny Bill Williams
13.) Ryan Crotty
14.) George Moala
15.) Israel Dagg

Res: Hika Elliot, Wyatt Crockett, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Matt Todd, Brad Weber, Colin Slade, Charlie Ngatai.

Great to see them showing some respect by fielding such a strong team

I'm not sure it will be that close, to be honest. I'm expecting a good 20-30 point win, at least.

Give them a bit of credit, they're playing at home in front of their crowd and people. We also have some guys coming back from injury and I don't rate Ellis.

Give them a bit of credit, they're playing at home in front of their crowd and people. We also have some guys coming back from injury and I don't rate Ellis.

I am giving them credit.

The closest Samoa has ever come to NZ is 22 points. This is likely to be a better Samoa team, sure, but when you look through the potential lineup they still aren't going to be fielding many players who would even come close to All Blacks selection.

I think they'll put up a fight for a bit, but I can't see them coming too close on the scoreboard.

That's probably pretty close to the strongest side that the All Blacks could field without the Highlanders and Hurricanes. I hope the new players and the ones that have been thrown a life line make the most of the opportunity they've been given

Latest posts