• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Screenshots

I have to say though, if HB fail on the simple details like weather changablity and options with the Lions tour again, then I will not be getting this game... The rest of the game would have to be absolutely amazing for me to think otherwise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Well it was never gonna improve that much, lets be honest was the graphics te thing wrong with 05? Not really they were fine. [/b]

I'm not so sure... I always felt the 05 graphics for the players were far too soccer like, with the players not having adaquate muscle definition. It looks a bit better here though.

Im probably in the minority but I "dont get" why people go ape over th graphics in a lot of EA sports ***les. The glitzy ones, the boxing , US sports, they do really well but the cricket, football and rugby games just look scruffy to me. Even the front end of R2005 looked like it had been knocked up in 5 minutes in Photoshop. They look great in stills but once they start moving, yuck. Some of the players look great but a lot just look like bland GenericMan ™

...and the England players still look like they are wearing carrier bags.

Yeah plus the fact the menu's are lowest resolution possible which makes them look 0ld.

Originally posted by DC13@Dec 6 2005, 09:00 AM
wow looks pretty sweet, im really excited now, its the only game they sell here in america, but man does it look good!

dc...
Why don't you order RC 2006 and Rugby League 2 on PC overseas?? They'll both be absolutely kick arse games aswell and you'll get a chance to have a go at the great game that is Rugby League!

Originally posted by Larry@Dec 6 2005, 09:12 AM
rugby99ik.jpg
I see those knobs have persisted to pass off Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane as 'France Stadium'. If that's the French stadium, the Reds must be playing at Ballymore in the game when they're actually playing at Suncorp from 2006. How hard can it be to get simple **** like that right?

Originally posted by Wally@Dec 6 2005, 03:47 PM
I see those knobs have persisted to pass off Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane as 'France Stadium'. If that's the French stadium, the Reds must be playing at Ballymore in the game when they're actually playing at Suncorp from 2006. How hard can it be to get simple **** like that right?
nail in the head wally

this along with weather selection/day night matches and playing the lions are all 8 year old knowledge that NEEDS to be fixed

Originally posted by Wally+Dec 6 2005, 03:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Dec 6 2005, 03:47 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Larry
@Dec 6 2005, 09:12 AM
rugby99ik.jpg
I see those knobs have persisted to pass off Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane as 'France Stadium'. If that's the French stadium, the Reds must be playing at Ballymore in the game when they're actually playing at Suncorp from 2006. How hard can it be to get simple **** like that right? [/b]
thats Stade de France you retard

Originally posted by Larry@Dec 6 2005, 09:12 AM
rugby12zx.jpg
That doesnt look like Mils, Maby they just took the teams from the 1st test match, Sosene Anesi ??

Well atleast they got Nike boots for other teams LOL, Now teams in the premiership will have nice official BOOTS to go along with their now official jerseys.

I was amazed to read on the Official EA Sports Rugby 2005 forum that apparently people really enjoyed the tutorial you had to play before you could play a match. They basically said that their feedback was that it was a good idea. I wonder how they managed to miss the vast numbers of people who were still on the first challenge after weeks of trying to run round an entire defence without being able to sprint diagonally.

Where do they get their feedback from?

And now I see from the new 2006 screenshots that the sidestep animation is, as far as I can tell, exactly the same as in Rugby 2005. There were so may people who moaned about this stupid sidestep. Even the fullback in the Oz/NZ match pictured above is doing the same animation as the sidestepped player in Rugby 2005.

It also looks as though the binding down on the scrums is the same. I know this isn't a very big thing, but this game clearly needed redesigning. Also, there are screenshots of the same tackle animations being used. Now, it's been a long time since I played Rugby 2004, but I remember that there was a distinct animation when you broke out of a side-on tackle, where the runner would sort of sidestep and twist out of it. I'm sure that animation featured in Rugby 2005, and again also, it appears in Rugby 2006.

Also, the line out animations were used from Rugby 2004 in Rugby 2005. You could tell that by the complete lack of smoothness in the jump animation. I would be surprised if there were many new animations in this game, and given the criticism dished out to Rugby 2005 based on the animations all being too "long", where your player could get "captured" before being able to pass, I find this amazing.

Another thing. Was it only me who saw that the sidestep animation in Rugby 2005 seemed to happen at the same speed regardless of the player. Jason Robinson slowed down when going into the sidestep, whereas Trevor Woodman would speed up dramatically, due to the same animation being used. It's pretty pathetic to be honest.

I seriously think that the difference between this game and RC2006 will be the same as between FIFA and PES, and also Brian Lara Cricket and Cricket 2005.

I don't think HB have done enough work to earn my money. I don't think we'll be seeing a new game. Even with thise stupid gimmicks like "Impact Player".

Actually, one more thing. That Impact Player thing typifies the EA mentality. FIFA 06 has this new Team Chemistry thing. Sounds great, and they made a big hoo-hah about it, but it didn't really manifest itself in the game all that well. Then take PES 4 or PES 5. Instead of Team Chemistry, every single player interacts with other players in different ways. They have a number which basically rates how well they link up with each other player on the pitch. That shits all over the Team Chemistry idea, but they don't need to make a feature of it - you can just tell when you're playing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - now. If HB want me to design a game for them, it would be ace. Think of all the great suggestions people on TRF have made over the years. They have hardly listened to them at all. Who on earth requested Impact Player as a feature. How about a custom set play creator? Or any of the other 100s of useful suggestions made.

HB deserve to lose out to RC2006 with this game.

By the way, I think the lighting in Rugby 2006 looks ace. But then HB didn't do that themselves, did they....

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Dec 7 2005, 02:27 AM
I was amazed to read on the Official EA Sports Rugby 2005 forum that apparently people really enjoyed the tutorial you had to play before you could play a match. They basically said that their feedback was that it was a good idea. I wonder how they managed to miss the vast numbers of people who were still on the first challenge after weeks of trying to run round an entire defence without being able to sprint diagonally.

And now I see from the new 2006 screenshots that the sidestep animation is, as far as I can tell, exactly the same as in Rugby 2005. There were so may people who moaned about this stupid sidestep. Even the fullback in the Oz/NZ match pictured above is doing the same animation as the sidestepped player in Rugby 2005.

It also looks as though the binding down on the scrums is the same. I know this isn't a very big thing, but this game clearly needed redesigning. Also, there are screenshots of the same tackle animations being used. Now, it's been a long time since I played Rugby 2004, but I remember that there was a distinct animation when you broke out of a side-on tackle, where the runner would sort of sidestep and twist out of it. I'm sure that animation featured in Rugby 2005, and again also, it appears in Rugby 2006.

Also, the line out animations were used from Rugby 2004 in Rugby 2005. You could tell that by the complete lack of smoothness in the jump animation. I would be surprised if there were many new animations in this game, and given the criticism dished out to Rugby 2005 based on the animations all being too "long", where your player could get "captured" before being able to pass, I find this amazing.

Another thing. Was it only me who saw that the sidestep animation in Rugby 2005 seemed to happen at the same speed regardless of the player. Jason Robinson slowed down when going into the sidestep, whereas Trevor Woodman would speed up dramatically, due to the same animation being used. It's pretty pathetic to be honest.

I seriously think that the difference between this game and RC2006 will be the same as between FIFA and PES, and also Brian Lara Cricket and Cricket 2005.

I don't think HB have done enough work to earn my money. I don't think we'll be seeing a new game. Even with thise stupid gimmicks like "Impact Player".

Actually, one more thing. That Impact Player thing typifies the EA mentality. FIFA 06 has this new Team Chemistry thing. Sounds great, and they made a big hoo-hah about it, but it didn't really manifest itself in the game all that well. Then take PES 4 or PES 5. Instead of Team Chemistry, every single player interacts with other players in different ways. They have a number which basically rates how well they link up with each other player on the pitch. That shits all over the Team Chemistry idea, but they don't need to make a feature of it - you can just tell when you're playing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - now. If HB want me to design a game for them, it would be ace. Think of all the great suggestions people on TRF have made over the years. They have hardly listened to them at all. Who on earth requested Impact Player as a feature. How about a custom set play creator? Or any of the other 100s of useful suggestions made.

By the way, I think the lighting in Rugby 2006 looks ace. But then HB didn't do that themselves, did they....
I Agree - HB games are full of gimmicks like 'Impact player' and 'total offence control' to cover up the fact that the core game play and design is way below par. Its basically just a marketing strategy to get people interested and buy the game, only to be disappointed when they play. Thats the power of money and market share I'm afraid.

Having said this Locksey did say that Rugby 2006 is very different to 2005 to play, and not just with more bells and whistles

look, i know i have said this on the other R06 related thread but can somebody PLEASE post the screens from the aus ea site on the forum. PLEASE PLEASE i cant see them.

Originally posted by sanzar+Dec 6 2005, 02:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Dec 6 2005, 02:39 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DC13
@Dec 6 2005, 09:00 AM
wow looks pretty sweet, im really excited now, its the only game they sell here in america, but man does it look good!

dc...
Why don't you order RC 2006 and Rugby League 2 on PC overseas?? They'll both be absolutely kick arse games aswell and you'll get a chance to have a go at the great game that is Rugby League! [/b]
is it possible to play them on the US playstations, i mean, is it possible to play foreign games on US playstations? i heard you cant, not 100% sure... anyone with info let me know!

dc...

Basically USA and Japan and other places are NTSC and the rest of us are PAL.

I don't know if they even make an NTSC release.

You can play any PC game though, just that the PS2 games and the like are regioned.... If that's a word.

Improved stadium visuals include rolling banners, improved textures, 3D grass[/b]

3D Grass! 3D Grass!

Although this does impress me if they carry it off JLR style

Quick Penalties & Lineouts
Users can now execute quick penalties immediately after it has been called. This feature if used in right situations is designed to continue the games objective on improved and freer flowing gameplay. The same principle has been applied to the all new quick lineouts which users can utilise, in order to maintain the pace or flow of an attack.[/b]

Kick the ball, take the late hit, switch to winger, sprint up, take quick tap, score cheap try. Like the good old days.

Originally posted by DC13+Dec 7 2005, 07:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DC13 @ Dec 7 2005, 07:04 AM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Dec 6 2005, 02:39 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DC13
@Dec 6 2005, 09:00 AM

dc...

Why don't you order RC 2006 and Rugby League 2 on PC overseas?? They'll both be absolutely kick arse games aswell and you'll get a chance to have a go at the great game that is Rugby League!
is it possible to play them on the US playstations, i mean, is it possible to play foreign games on US playstations? i heard you cant, not 100% sure... anyone with info let me know!

dc... [/b]
Well you can get your PS2 chipped and that would let you run them... but other than that, as I said if you have a half decent PC that would be the easiest way to play them.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger+Dec 7 2005, 12:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Dec 7 2005, 12:56 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Wally@Dec 6 2005, 03:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Larry
@Dec 6 2005, 09:12 AM
rugby99ik.jpg

thats Stade de France you retard [/b]
Actually, you little spastic, it's the same template they used in Rugby 2004 when it was known as Suncorp Stadium. In 2005 it became 'France Stadium' - it does not look like Stade de France.

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Dec 7 2005, 01:27 AM

I know exactly what you mean aye. Just have a look at this features list:

Key features

Impact Players: Rugby 06 captures the abilities of world's finest Rugby stars. Users can utilize these abilities and if called upon in the right situation, the star player can have a key "Impact" on the outcome of the match.

Increased Tactical Plays: Over 25 tactical set plays can be mapped to the controller. This allows the user the option of choosing/changing the plays in accordance to what they believe to be the most effective or that which best suits their playing style.

Off-Loading Passing: Players can pass out of a tackle. By being able to off load the ball once the defender has been drawn into the tackle, users can exploit the gaps that will be left by those defenders. This feature will also allow for a more flowing game.

Comprehensive Commentary: Legendary former All Black's star Grant Fox provides all new commentary along with updated commentary by Ian Robertson. A combination of the two creates an authentic and realistic sounding in-game commentary.

Enhanced Stadiums and Conditions: Improved stadium visuals include rolling banners, improved textures, 3D grass accompanied by different pitch patterns and team specific animated flags. The stadiums are complimented by new weather conditions such as snow and fog, with visible player breath and steam off the packs in cold weather conditions.

Teams and Tournaments: In addition to last year, Rugby 06 has added more licensed teams and tournaments including the Guinness Premiership and the Heineken Cup.

World League Mode: Rugby 06 incorporates a number of career mode enhancements to give a more compelling world league experience. Users can try to build a super team by making use of the in depth transfer market at their disposal. With all new club objectives and performance based offers from rival clubs, only the best managers will survive.

Quick Penalties & Lineouts: Users can now execute quick penalties immediately after it has been called. This feature if used in right situations is designed to continue the games objective on improved and freer flowing gameplay. The same principle has been applied to the all new quick lineouts which users can utilize, in order to maintain the pace or flow of an attack.[/b]

Just looking at that it seems pretty lackluster...
The impact player thing just sounds gimmicky as you said, and I will be surprised if we even notice it.
Tactical plays is something that sounded great in Rugby 2005, but were so slowly executed that they were mostly ineffective. I would prefer this feature to read "redesigned tactical plays".
Offload passing is something that SHOULD have been in Rugby 2005 for it to be acceptable for sale... it wasn't and the game suffered for it. lets just hope it's more than a half arsed measure.
I won't even talk about the commentary... who cares, seriously.
Enhanced stadium conditions... again a feature that most surely should have been in rugby 2005 was more alterable stadium conditions, yet upon release there were no options to change anything.
World League Mode. Perhaps the most distressing of all the new "features", it seems they still haven't scrapped this "poor mans franchise" they call 'world league mode'... I don't care how much it's been improved, I want a proper franchise mode that lets me manage my S14 team and then go on to coach the wallabies! World League mode was a joke, and will continue to be.
Quick penelties. Again this is something that was a must for rugby 2005, but they left out due to EA's release restrictions...

Overall, there doesn't seem to alot that is all that "revolutionary" about this game... And I'm gonna assume it'll end up at the bottom of the pile after Rugby League 2 and RC 2006.

Originally posted by sanzar@Dec 7 2005, 10:38 AM
Overall, there doesn't seem to alot that is all that "revolutionary" about this game... And I'm gonna assume it'll end up at the bottom of the pile after Rugby League 2 and RC 2006.
yeah mate

latest on the TAB totes have this scenario at $1.20
<

Latest posts