• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 2: England vs Wales (10/02/2018)

Regardless of whether or not the decision was correct, it sets a really shitty precedent for WR to say anything about this just because a coach moaned after the game. You can't reward that kind of thing.

Having said that, the extent of the actual verified facts about what was said falls wasaaaay short of the "World Rugby say it was 100% a try!!!!" that's being reported. Basically Rob Howley had a meeting, where Rob Howley says an unnamed official told Rob Howley that a mistake (unspecified) was made.

Yeah, the conversation wasn't an official WR press release was it? Just Rob Howley on the blower to Alain Rolland and Alain only answered the question regarding the grounding, the knock on wasn't discussed at all.

Until I see a WR press release on the matter I don't give a hoot, and I wouldn't then either tbh. The Welsh won the post match bants with Rolland, small victories :D

Rob Howley is badly in the wrong here.

Should never have stated it publically.
I never thought I'd say this; but...

I think Guscott said it best...
With limitations of time, pressure and technology; the TMO got it right with what was available (AKA, no clear evidence of a try being scored); but later proven wrong with close-up still photography and frame-by-frame slow-mo video. It's the dedication of factions on social media that as shown the grounding to be good, but also that the ball was knocked on beforehand, so we go back to the penalty advantage.

Unfortunately, he then seems to suggest that the TMO should have looked at all the various angles, frame by frame in order to suss it out; which would have taken a good 15 minutes out of the game - which I don't think is viable - but does give me a straw to cling to in that I can still disagree with Jerry guscott.

Sorry Which Tyler, don't agree with either paragraph there.

The TMO has some of the best equipment at his fingertips to easily find, slow down and rewind these things. A jog wheel makes it easy, and he should have been able to identify the 2 crucial 1 sec moments and go through frame by frame. It wouldn't take 15min, and I see most TMO's do just this on plenty of occasions. An extra 30sec would have likely done it.

So, if the TMO got it right for the wrong reason, the gospel according to this forum, how come WR have said the try should have been awarded? They've had 5 days to look at every conceivable angle and have come up with that?

Have they though?
All we've heard is Howley crying in the press, and he's a useless jobber.

I don't understand how people can still he on this subject when it's as clear as day that it was knocked on.

I agree I think on both accounts he moved through the phases of decision making too quickly. There no way he could not have had doubt about the knock on because it was actually a knock on but he cleared it. And think he was too quick to void the grounding when a couple of slower replays would of shown it.

But I also don't think is something World Rugby should talking about to the Welsh coaching staff at least confirming one way or another.

Who knows, he's trying frantically to justify keeping his job after his cash cow Gatland moves on in the not too distant future - he has very little credibility in the rugby community so he needs to show that his attack systems score tries even when they don't.

To the aggrieved Welsh,

What would justice be? What do you want to happen now so you can be at peace with the game? Is there not enough EU money in South Wales now that you don't have anything else to do with your time?

Its interesting the wording of the statement.

All world rugby confirmed was the TMO should of allowed the grounding of the ball (physically impossible for there not to be some downward pressure). They specifically didn't say a try should of been awarded. This could of course be the media I've seen truncating statements.

To the aggrieved Welsh,

What would justice be? What do you want to happen now so you can be at peace with the game? Is there not enough EU money in South Wales now that you don't have anything else to do with your time?

I don't feel aggrieved. This is just discussion. I'm sure if the situation were reversed you english guys would go on, and on, and on, as well!

My bad I was wrong.

World Rugby told BBC Sport Wales it "has clarified to the Wales team management... that the TMO made an error in the application of law during the England versus Wales match".

The governing body added: "In accordance with law 21.1 b, Wales should have been awarded a try as the Wales player grounded the ball."

However I'm unsure how much world rugby would of looked at the knock on TBH.

From a team management point of view what howley did makes sense - it's like a motivational/propaganda victory in convincing his squad they were unlucky and deserved more.
He can still **** off though.
Same goes for World Rugby. It's a thoroughly dumb precedent to be setting.

See I think, this knock on you guys are going on about was earlier in that play and it was missed, so play went on. The grounding of the ball was the end of what the ref considered to be that phase of play - hence the try should have been given.

See I think, this knock on you guys are going on about was earlier in that play and it was missed, so play went on. The grounding of the ball was the end of what the ref considered to be that phase of play - hence the try should have been given.
Sorry but again watch a replay of the match the ref specifically asks for the knock on to be checked and it is.

You think wrong then.

My bad I was wrong.

World Rugby told BBC Sport Wales it "has clarified to the Wales team management... that the TMO made an error in the application of law during the England versus Wales match".

The governing body added: "In accordance with law 21.1 b, Wales should have been awarded a try as the Wales player grounded the ball."

However I'm unsure how much world rugby would of looked at the knock on TBH.

What in God's name possessed them to make that statement? What did they expect to achieve by it?

Valley Commando is holding someone at WR's children hostage, it's the only explanation for that idiocy

The knock on was what directly caused the ball to go over the try line in the first place, how on earth could it be deemed a different phase of play? It was literally the last contact prior to the grounding.

The knock on was what directly caused the ball to go over the try line in the first place, how on earth could it be deemed a different phase of play? It was literally the last contact prior to the grounding.

LOL well it should have been a try cause WR said so!

Latest posts