• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa squad for England tests

You mean on the bench?

Haha, you know what I mean.

But I personally think Morne shouldn't start any of the tests. His goal kicking has been off this Super 15 so what else does he bring to the party?

But with that said, I don't want Zane Kirchner to start either.

I think the captain will be another great shock. By the way H is picking his squad, the captain might just be Spies, and then o brother I will sheet in my pants, because YOU TAKE YOUR POINTS IN A FINAL, and playing against the Stormers is always a final!!!!!!!! BY the way congrats Stormers!

Since I was a young boy, I can remember that with every bok team selection there was always unlucky players and always unhappy supporters.

The most outraged is coming from the stormer camp, which in a way I can understand. However to argue that you should have more players just because you are conference leaders and beat the bulls twice, is a bit far fetched. If you look at the way the both the bulls and the sharks dominated you upfront especially in the line outs, can you really complain that the bulk of the forwards is bulls and sharks?

Furthermore Bekker, Duane, Joe and Schalla is injured which is a pity because I would have like Schalla to be captain.

Personally I think, Zane, WO, JDV, Spies, Kanko are the lucky ones and Aplon, De Jong and Ebhershon the Unlucky ones. Kolisi will get his time. His not better than any of the other flankers.

My 22

15- Lambie
14- JP
13- JDV
12- Frans
11- Habs
10- Morne
9- Hougie

8 Keegan- His playing the best rugby of his live now.
7- J Potgieter
6- Coetzee
5 Juandre - even with Bekker fit he was by far the best 5 of SA. and stole more line out balls
4- Etsebeth (although flip outplayed in general play and lineouts on satyrday)
3 Werner
2 Bismarck
1 Beast

16 Chilli
17 Flip
18 Alberts
19 Jannie
20 Ruan
21 JJ
22 Mvovu

Personally I would played Lambie at 10 with Aplon at 15 and De jongh at 13. From above bunch JDV will probably be the captain.

I also think the captaincy will come as a shock to the system (even if I know it's short term). Lets go through the options;
Our likely frontrow contains some hotheads in the Du Plessis brothers and Oosthuizen and Mtawarira isn't a sure starter I think.
Our locks are all green (apart form Van der Merwe but I think the other 3 greenboys are far better players in any case), Daniel and Spies are provincial captains but I've never Daniel's captaincy as I see him as too emotional and I just don't rate Spies as either a player or captain. In the backs I think only JdV is captain material but I don't think he has the jersey nailed down. I can just imagine its going to be either Spies or Daniel seeing as the majority of the squad would be used to their captaincy seeing as the Boks are half Bulls, half Sharks. Either way I'm going to have to be wearing a diaper.

Since I was a young boy, I can remember that with every bok team selection there was always unlucky players and always unhappy supporters.

The most outraged is coming from the stormer camp, which in a way I can understand. However to argue that you should have more players just because you are conference leaders and beat the bulls twice, is a bit far fetched. If you look at the way the both the bulls and the sharks dominated you upfront especially in the line outs, can you really complain that the bulk of the forwards is bulls and sharks?

Furthermore Bekker, Duane, Joe and Schalla is injured which is a pity because I would have like Schalla to be captain.

Personally I think, Zane, WO, JDV, Spies, Kanko are the lucky ones and Aplon, De Jong and Ebhershon the Unlucky ones. Kolisi will get his time. His not better than any of the other flankers.

My 22

15- Lambie
14- JP
13- JDV
12- Frans
11- Habs
10- Morne
9- Hougie

8 Keegan- His playing the best rugby of his live now.
7- J Potgieter
6- Coetzee
5 Juandre - even with Bekker fit he was by far the best 5 of SA. and stole more line out balls
4- Etsebeth (although flip outplayed in general play and lineouts on satyrday)
3 Werner
2 Bismarck
1 Beast

16 Chilli
17 Flip
18 Alberts
19 Jannie
20 Ruan
21 JJ
22 Mvovu

Personally I would played Lambie at 10 with Aplon at 15 and De jongh at 13. From above bunch JDV will probably be the captain.

Other injured players that MIGHT have made the cut include Jaco Taute, Juan Smith, Johan Goosen and Kitshoff is at the JRWC (though I think only the most ridiculously one-eyes WP fan would have balked at him not making the cut... yet). I think Louis Ludik can also feel a bit miffed while Joe Pietersen isn't a different situation than Jacques Potgieter who did get included (and rightfully so as he was the pick of the loosies up until injury).

Still, no-one is going to tell me Spies, Kankowski, JJ Engelbrecht and WO offer more than Kolisi and De Jongh. Same with Aplon. That said, it's Meyer's call and he will judged by it in time. Also, it's not a bad thing for the Stormers for our players to get some rest and get angry (wanting to prove a point or two) ahead of the end-phase of Super Rugby.

Would it surprize anyone if Heyneke names someone like Habana as the captain??

You want a surprise? Strauss. I think he played more constant good rugby than any other hooker while bissie had only 2 or 3 decent games. Saturday against the lions he was poor again.

JDV will probably be the captain. but in my opinion neither he nor spies is first choice players.

The biggest surprise is probably Brussow not being in the squad. I guess HM feels 1 fetcher (Bismarck) is enough. I just hope Marcell Coetzee gets a chance. He is the most consistent flanker this season and even people in NZ agree he is impressive. I just hope this will not be another Snor-fest. The fact that guys like Kirchner, Engelbrecht, Olivier, Vermaak and Ralepelle are in the squad worries me. I don't have anything against these guys but they are simply not good enough for the Bok team. They are simply in it because they play for the Blue Boys.

The failure to include Aplon, de Jongh, van Zyl and Robert Ebersohn is a shocker. These guys deserved it more than the earlier mentioned players. Especially van Zyl and Ebersohn have been impressive and I feel that you should select players based on form. Vermaak is not even a starter for the Bulls, but he is picked over van Zyl? Come on!

The biggest surprise is probably Brussow not being in the squad. I guess HM feels 1 fetcher (Bismarck) is enough. I just hope Marcell Coetzee gets a chance. He is the most consistent flanker this season and even people in NZ agree he is impressive. I just hope this will not be another Snor-fest. The fact that guys like Kirchner, Engelbrecht, Olivier, Vermaak and Ralepelle are in the squad worries me. I don't have anything against these guys but they are simply not good enough for the Bok team. They are simply in it because they play for the Blue Boys.

The failure to include Aplon, de Jongh, van Zyl and Robert Ebersohn is a shocker. These guys deserved it more than the earlier mentioned players. Especially van Zyl and Ebersohn have been impressive and I feel that you should select players based on form. Vermaak is not even a starter for the Bulls, but he is picked over van Zyl? Come on!

Remember the first time Hougaard was picked for the boks...

That's different, Hougaard is a young, talented player. Jano Vermaak played week after week for the Lions and never got an invitation. Now he's on the bench for the Bulls and he can come along with the Bok squad. That's complete bullshit.

That's different, Hougaard is a young, talented player. Jano Vermaak played week after week for the Lions and never got an invitation. Now he's on the bench for the Bulls and he can come along with the Bok squad. That's complete bullshit.

This was in the Beeld this morning "Die losvoorspeler Siya Kolisi het ook 'n sterk aanspraak op 'n plek in die groep gehad, maar is darem saam met Frans Malherbe (vaskopstut), Arno Botha (agtsteman), CJ Stander (losvoorspeler), Francois Venter (senter) en Pieter van Zyl (skrumskakel) onder die opkomende spelers wat saam met die Bokke sal oefen."

It says that the mentioned players are training with the squad which I think is a good thing. I am especialy glad to see Francois Venter as part of this upcoming boks.

In Arno, CJ. Kolisi and Coetzee we hace exciting loosies to take us to RWC 2015

This was in the Beeld this morning "Die losvoorspeler Siya Kolisi het ook ’n sterk aanspraak op ’n plek in die groep gehad, maar is darem saam met Frans Malherbe (vaskopstut), Arno Botha (agtsteman), CJ Stander (losvoorspeler), Francois Venter (senter) en Pieter van Zyl (skrumskakel) onder die opkomende spelers wat saam met die Bokke sal oefen."

It says that the mentioned players are training with the squad which I think is a good thing. I am especialy glad to see Francois Venter as part of this upcoming boks.

Then there is Jacques Potgieter, Josh Strauss, Philip van der Walt and Pieter "Lappies" Labuschagne as well who are all young enough at this stage to be around for a while yet. I know Lappies hasn't had game time this year being injured but he was the pick of the loosies in last year's Currie cup IMO. It's a good problem to have (unless if you are adamant on sticking with Spies)!

This was in the Beeld this morning "Die losvoorspeler Siya Kolisi het ook ’n sterk aanspraak op ’n plek in die groep gehad, maar is darem saam met Frans Malherbe (vaskopstut), Arno Botha (agtsteman), CJ Stander (losvoorspeler), Francois Venter (senter) en Pieter van Zyl (skrumskakel) onder die opkomende spelers wat saam met die Bokke sal oefen."

Yeah, I read that but still feel Vermaak should not be in the squad to begin with. Duvenhage would have been a better choice even

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Brussouw, probably your one remaining absolutely world class player (maybe Bismark can be thrown in there too), is not selected.

He was the only player that actually worried me from the Boks.

He is seen as a liability as the current rule sets do not suit his playing style - see his penalty count. Player with a higher work rate like Marcel is preferred here and I agree. Even Skolisie or Stander bring more to the game
Had the rules stayed the same as in 2009-20101 Heinrich would still be one of the best

Brussouw, probably your one remaining absolutely world class player (maybe Bismark can be thrown in there too), is not selected.

He was the only player that actually worried me from the Boks.

And let me guess, the All Blacks have dozens?

Just in, Jean de Villiers confirmed by Meyer has Boks captain against England.

I'd still have liked Brussow in there; he makes 20 tackles a game minimum and does not drop off them. He brings some experience to the loose forwards and I think it'd much better to have him there for that reason than Spies. Also, with England not playing a true openside we could have had a one-up on them in that factor and go 'critical mass' (if you have an advantage, maximize it, I say) on them with Bismarck and possibly Oosthuizen helping Brussow out and shutting them down at the breakdown.

With JdV being named interim captain we don't need Spies. I just hope that means he won't keep Frans Steyn out of the centers. His best position is 12 and they are competing unless one of them moves to 13 which isn't the best option IMO; I'd rather have WO at 13 to be honest. Best would have been Jaque Fourie but he is not available and De Jongh isn't in the squad.. will be interesting to see. Might indicate HM is looking at F Steyn at fullback with Lambie on the bench or, dare I hope.., Lambie at 10?

F Steyn really put up is hand at last years RWC at 12, but I have to agree with you Steyn at 15, WO and JDV as Centres and Lambie at 10 will be the best backline that we can put together from the current squad. I doubt if we will see it though.

Latest posts