• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour: Australia v Wales -2nd Test. (16/06/2012 10:00GMT)

I'm not sure that Priestland was entirely to blame today. I know I keep saying it, but this high ball is a tactical decision that was agreed before the match. I understand it in attack, but endlessly doing it from your 22 against very potent strike runners is not a smart tactic. It allowed Australia time on the ball and to put pressure on Wales into many mistakes at the base of the ruck, I.e poor box kicks.

Preistland is executing it at the end of the day though and needs to make the right calls at the right times which he isn't doing at the moment.

Can't wait for the Fail to defend Phillips and Preistland to the hilt tomorrow and Barry John to get slated for suggesting dropping Preistland.

Problem is I don't think Hook is the magical solution that some think he is. Still a better option than Priestland at the moment.

I'm not sure that Priestland was entirely to blame today. I know I keep saying it, but this high ball is a tactical decision that was agreed before the match. I understand it in attack, but endlessly doing it from your 22 against very potent strike runners is not a smart tactic. It allowed Australia time on the ball and to put pressure on Wales into many mistakes at the base of the ruck, I.e poor box kicks.

Preistland is executing it at the end of the day though and needs to make the right calls at the right times which he isn't doing at the moment.

But it's down to the player to execute the plan correctly and he did not do that. His kicking away of possession at the end spelt disaster from the moment he kicked it.

Problem is I don't think Hook is the magical solution that some think he is. Still a better option than Priestland at the moment.

Rather give Hook a go now than Preistland.

The Australian back line is really lacking without Cooper, O'Connor and Beale.

Not ecstatic with the win, predominantly due to the missed passes, scrum discipline and occasional scrappy play by the Wallabies. I think that Wales were better in that regard. I think Aus could have won by more than they did.

On the other hand, I think Wales lacked some tactical plays, and perhaps some aggression in attacking with possession.

Not ecstatic with the win, predominantly due to the missed passes, scrum discipline and occasional scrappy play by the Wallabies. I think that Wales were better in that regard. I think Aus could have won by more than they did.

On the other hand, I think Wales lacked some tactical plays, and perhaps some aggression in attacking with possession.

This.

We didn't have that much attacking chances though. Poor kicking and lineout prevented us gaining territory, and the poor reffing of the contact area didn't allow any real attacking platform, Pocock was great here also.

We didn't see Beck in attack at all. North barely touched the ball, and Cuthbert was only in the game a couple of times, both in his own half. We need to get these players into the game, but you need to be attacking in the opposition 22, not from without your own half.

But it's down to the player to execute the plan correctly and he did not do that. His kicking away of possession at the end spelt disaster from the moment he kicked it.

Rather give Hook a go now than Preistland.

Sure, I appreciate that, but is it ever wise to roll the dice with a high ball when in your 22 when you know it's far from being effective?? I understand if it's from an attacking position, at least in the opponents half.

Sure, I appreciate that, but is it ever wise to roll the dice with a high ball when in your 22 when you know it's far from being effective?? I understand if it's from an attacking position, at least in the opponents half.

I'm not sure it was a tactic. They needed terrotory, so kicking had to be the tactic, but I'm not sure up and unders were a tactic, just bad kicking.

If kicking one goal from there makes you good enough for test rugby then I am because I kicked one like that just this afternoon. I'm not saying he is or isn't good enough but that kick means alot to the Australian rugby team but nothing to the future prospects of Mike Harris in a Wallaby jersey.
This

Just to play devils advocate. I believe the maul was brought down by Wales but prior to that two Australian players joined the maul infront of Pocock. Alexander being one. Looking at the rules should have been a penalty.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339850025.156873.jpg

Before anyone asks I'm not being bitter, just interested to see what people views on that particular matter is.

I'll probably get banned from the forum if I say what I truly want to say so I'll have to make do with this:
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************!
But before I go, will people please stop blaming Priestland for everything! He wasn't perfect today but for God's sake he has been far better than he has been recently. kicked a few times when it wasn't on but was near-on perfect defensively, good support play and passing game. It was the right decision to kick at the end because it pinned them back and made the chances of giving away a penalty far lower, especially seeing as everyone seemed to be passing it back to him anyway. If you want to find someone to blame, why not Warburton for giving away the penalty with a minuet to go, North (I think) for pulling down the maul, Phillips for kicking out on the full that led to the Aussie try.......
And anyway, the chances of Hawley and Gatland dropping him are low imo anyway. Remember when some (myself included) where calling for Phillips head, he wasn't dropped, because what he brings to the game are exactly what the coaching staff want and what Wales need. And I see he is the best option. I believe it's the same case with Priestland. He has started to recover form and he will hopefully only get better. Hook, you never know who you'll get (plus he's not very good defensively, Edwards won't like that).

Just to play devils advocate. I believe the maul was brought down by Wales but prior to that two Australian players joined the maul infront of Pocock. Alexander being one. Looking at the rules should have been a penalty.

View attachment 1801

Before anyone asks I'm not being bitter, just interested to see what people views on that particular matter is.

Definitely agree with this but its an area of the maul that hasnt been policed well. See it happen all the time, much like how halfbacks dont put the ball in the scrum straight. They just seem to be rules the officials seem to be choosing to ignore. Even though it happens all the time doesnt make it right either.
I enjoyed the game for what it was and felt Wales should have closed the game out with the win. Some poor decisions made in the end. Wallabies get out of jail card. Wales will win in sydney.

I do agree too, but every single referee allows that, you can see that foul (joining the maul not from the back) in each game.

Every team does that: Australia, South Africa, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Italy, Wales... anyone!

It's just being ignored.

Not going to lie but at the level I played at last year in Wales, this was being penalised.

But I do agree, lot of things are being missed, I mean feeding and pushing before the ball in the scrums are the worst.

But before I go, will people please stop blaming Priestland for everything! He wasn't perfect today but for God's sake he has been far better than he has been recently. kicked a few times when it wasn't on but was near-on perfect defensively, good support play and passing game. It was the right decision to kick at the end because it pinned them back and made the chances of giving away a penalty far lower, especially seeing as everyone seemed to be passing it back to him anyway. If you want to find someone to blame, why not Warburton for giving away the penalty with a minuet to go, North (I think) for pulling down the maul, Phillips for kicking out on the full that led to the Aussie try.......
And anyway, the chances of Hawley and Gatland dropping him are low imo anyway. Remember when some (myself included) where calling for Phillips head, he wasn't dropped, because what he brings to the game are exactly what the coaching staff want and what Wales need. And I see he is the best option. I believe it's the same case with Priestland. He has started to recover form and he will hopefully only get better. Hook, you never know who you'll get (plus he's not very good defensively, Edwards won't like that).

it was Hibbard who was penalised

Not going to lie but at the level I played at last year in Wales, this was being penalised.

But I do agree, lot of things are being missed, I mean feeding and pushing before the ball in the scrums are the worst.

Yes I trust you absolutely.

I don't know which level you played, surely it happens mostly at pro level... refs just ignore it!

Sooner or later IRB has to deal with it, stop changing rules at bd or whatever and start making the refs to apply the rules already in the book.

Latest posts