• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spring Tour: Australia v Wales - 3rd Test. (23/06/2012 05:00 GMT)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
IRB.png

Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney (23/06/2012, 05:00 GMT)
Australia.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Wales.png

Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)

[TABLE="class: cms_table_cms_table_grid, width: 360, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Australia[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Wales[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kurtley Beale[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Leigh Halfpenny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Adam Ashley-Cooper[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Alex Cuthbert[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob Horne[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Jonathan Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Pat McCabe[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Ashley Beck[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Digby Ioane[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]George North[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Berrick Barnes[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Priestland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Will Genia[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Mike Phillips[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Wycliff Palu[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]David Pocock (c)[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Sam Warburton (c)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Scott Higginbotham[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Dan Lydiate[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nathan Sharpe[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Alun Wyn Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sitaleki Timani[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Bradley Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sekope Kepu[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Adam Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tatafu Polota-Nau[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Matthew Rees[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Benn Robinson[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Gethin Jenkins[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stephen Moore[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Ken Owens[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ben Alexander[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Paul James[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob Simmons[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Luke Charteris[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dave Dennis[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Justin Tipuric[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Michael Hooper[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Webb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nic White[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]James Hook[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Anthony Fainga'a[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Scott Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
A few changes for Australia. Beale is back at fullback (with Ashley-Cooper shifting to the wing), which should strengthen the backline (though I wonder how match-fit Beale is?). I'm a bit surprised to see Timani included ahead of Simmons - Simmons has been solid thus far, and I don't particularly rate Timani. He is a powerful ball runner (when he manages to catch the ball!), but I question his work-rate, his aerial skills, and his ability to be effective against top-class opposition. Interesting to see Australia have opted for a 5/2 split on the bench, with Mike Harris - who kicked the match-winning penalty last week - dropping out of the 22 (Beale must be the back-up goal-kicker...).

After all is a good 22, though I don't understand some Dingo's fixations...

1) Timani. Timani's still horrible by workrate, effectivness (wasted weight), handling... anything. He doesn't belong to this level yet, I know he should have other chances, but not now, again I think he's only there to try to lock the scrummaging, which Dave Dennis obviously can't do because he's not specific in that position.

2) 2 backrows on the bench. Maybe in this period is good, as Palu doesn't have 80 min, and he wants to try the double openside in the last 20'... anyway it's not the first time he does that, sometimes it worked well (3N 2011), but I'd rather have picked 2 props Alexander and Palmer.

Last edited:
Glad to see Beale back, one of the most natural runners and visionaries I have ever seen.

A few changes for Australia. Beale is back at fullback (with Ashley-Cooper shifting to the wing), which should strengthen the backline (though I wonder how match-fit Beale is?). I'm a bit surprised to see Timani included ahead of Simmons - Simmons has been solid thus far, and I don't particularly rate Timani. He is a powerful ball runner (when he manages to catch the ball!), but I question his work-rate, his aerial skills, and his ability to be effective against top-class opposition. Interesting to see Australia have opted for a 5/2 split on the bench, with Mike Harris - who kicked the match-winning penalty last week - dropping out of the 22 (Beale must be the back-up goal-kicker...).

mate, I respect your opinion, but simmons is useless. soft as butter and goes missing in action all game. Think of how awesome ali williams is for the all blacks, then half that and you have simmons.

Nope... I think exactly the opposite.

Simmons was instrumental in the Wallabies improvements in the bd area, maybe he's not so big, but his work to slow down the attack disturbing them with counter-rucks or just hitting it (or being in the middle of it, whether legally or not) payed off last year, at a low price of few penalties; this work has been made only by Vickerman and the early Horwill, who later started to disappear from being involved in rucks.

I'm expecting a few changes for Wales. Rees' lineout throwing really cost us, so bring in Hibbard with Owens on the bench. Despite Bradley Davies playing well over the past two tests, Ian Evans should come into the second row for his rucking. This is a good opportunity to start Tipuric and possibly experiment with the possibility of playing Tips and Warbs together. Not sure whether Warbs should move to blindside or no.8. On the one hand Lydiate's tackling is important to the team, but on the other Having three players in the backrow who all get involved at the breakdown could be a good thing against Aus.

In the backline, I think Phillips and Priestland should be changed.

So team I'd like to see:

Gethin Jenkins, Richard Hibbard, Adam Jones
Ian Evans, Alun Wyn Jones
Dan Lydiate/Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Sam Warburton/Ryan Jones
Rhys Webb, James Hook
Ashley Beck, Jon Davies
George North, Lee Halfpenny Alex Cuthbert

Ken Owens, Paul James, Bradley Davies, Ryan Jones/Dan Lydiate, Mike Phillips, Rhys Priestland, Scott Williams.

I don't think we'll see quite as many changes as that though. Rees will probably keep his place in the 22, although I hope not as a starter. Ian Evans will probably just come onto the bench, with Davies rewarded for his good performances. The backrow might stay the same, with Tips getting involved later on in the game. Phillips will probably retain his place, he always does, whilst they may stick with Priestland again with the excuse that his performances are improving.

Last edited:
mate, I respect your opinion, but simmons is useless. soft as butter and goes missing in action all game. Think of how awesome ali williams is for the all blacks, then half that and you have simmons.
I don't think he is a great international lock, but I think he is better than you are making out. As madflyhalf mentions, he does a lot of good work at the breakdown - something the Wallabies really need with Sharpe (and Higginbotham) spending most of their time standing out in the backline! I think he is 'missing in action' because he is stuck doing a lot of the unseen work that is vital for a team to operate (and I consider a primary role of a tight-forward). I think Australia's tight-five will struggle a lot more this week without him, as Timani is much more likely to be standing beside Sharpe in the backline than helping his fellow forwards at the breakdown.....

Looks like the coaches are onto something. We are going to smash Wales off the park for 55 mins, then bring on a bunch of workhorses to close the game out, guys who will stay concentrated and alert.

Makes sense, 3rd test in a row on the road for Wales, they might not be 100% in the last 20 minutes.

That's what I make of it anyway, not saying it will work I just see a pattern emerging.

For those of you who can't bring yourself to wake up at the arse crack of dawn for this Sky are repeating it after the Ireland game. You'd have to be careful when they inevitably ruin the score during half time.

The teams:
Australia: Kurtley Beale (Melbourne Rebels); Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW), Rob Horne (NSW), Pat McCabe (ACT), Digby Ioane (Queensland); Berrick Barnes (NSW), Will Genia (Queensland); Benn Robinson (NSW), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW), Sekope Kepu (NSW), Sitaleki Timani (NSW), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Scott Higginbotham (Queensland), David Pocock (Western Force, capt), Wycliff Palu (NSW).
Replacements: Stephen Moore (ACT), Ben Alexander (ACT), Rob Simmons (Queensland), Dave Dennis (NSW), Michael Hooper (ACT), N White (ACT), A Fainga'a (Queensland).
Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), George North (Scarlets); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt), Ryan Jones (Ospreys).
Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Scott Williams (Scarlets).
Referee: Craig Joubert (SARU).
Assistants: Jaco Peyper (SARU), Jonathon White (NZRU).
TMO: Vinny Munro (NZRU).

Owens back on the bench..............so odd!

I feel very deflated on one hand but on the other I guess giving the team who came so close makes sense. I would like to know who actually picked this team. Can they not see the half backs not working?

Also why bother taking Evans if they were not going to play, let him go on his honeymoon. I feel he is paying the price for missing the first game and I don't just mean because he is being kept out by great performances.

Disappointment all over for me. How certain players have not been selected to start or even make the bench is baffling.

This time I'm prepared to get all mad at the failing but still insisted upon plan.

Feel for Hook, Webb and Williams in particur... if they can't get a start after the half backs performances in the first two tests, they must be questioning if the coaching staff has any faith in them at all.

To a lesser extent would like to see Evans in over Bradley, Owens starting and Hibbard on the bench... and even Delve and tips given a chance.

Feel for Hook, Webb and Williams in particur... if they can't get a start after the half backs performances in the first two tests, they must be questioning if the coaching staff has any faith in them at all.

To a lesser extent would like to see Evans in over Bradley, Owens starting and Hibbard on the bench... and even Delve and tips given a chance.

I'm surprised that Wales arn't demoing the 7. Tipuric 8. Warburton theory. Would have been a 'confidence-friendly' way to give Tips a chance without dropping Warburton.

Did Wales only schedule 1 mid-week game? Seems a shame.

I do think gatland and Philips must be lovers. Boggling.

I'm surprised that Wales arn't demoing the 7. Tipuric 8. Warburton theory. Would have been a 'confidence-friendly' way to give Tips a chance without dropping Warburton.

Phillips doesn't worry me, he has shown glimpses of what he can do, I do agree that Webb deserves a start but I'm not going to throw the toys out of the pram over the selection.

Howley picked the team and not Gatland.

You sure Priestland didn't pick the team?

Owens, Evans, Tipuric and Hook had to be the changes for this one, very disappointing.

Latest posts