RWC 11 or Sidhe Rugby Challenge ?

• RWC 2011 HB

Votes: 80 10.3%
  • Sidhe Rugby Challenge

Votes: 418 53.8%
  • Both

Votes: 279 35.9%

• Total voters
Think the gameplay trailer of RC looks good.

Now for my issues,

1. I did not really see a pick up and go element from rucks, or passing directly to forwards for a crash ball.

2. This is a biggy, I did not see any setplays for backs. Yes, there was lots of cool hand offs and inside passes to create space, but I did not see any specific options to create a setplay. Also the defense looked really easy to beat.

I will buy both (if they make it to Canada), but those were just something I noticed about RC.

Think the gameplay trailer of RC looks good.

Now for my issues,

1. I did not really see a pick up and go element from rucks, or passing directly to forwards for a crash ball.

2. This is a biggy, I did not see any setplays for backs. Yes, there was lots of cool hand offs and inside passes to create space, but I did not see any specific options to create a setplay. Also the defense looked really easy to beat.

I will buy both (if they make it to Canada), but those were just something I noticed about RC.

Re-watched it just now, can see where you're coming from with those points.
Did kinda see a pick up and go at around 0.37, but it's a scrum half, guessing you mean as in forwards pick up and drive? I'm sure there is an option of passing to the forwards and taking it in, will be suprised if there's not anyway!
Didnt see any set plays either, though I never used to use the set-plays in 06/08 because I thought they were a bit crap, so wasn't really looking out for them. Doubt they'd leave them out all together anyway. Or at least if they have left them out, they could have something similar to what Rugby League 3 had, where you could set up flat, deep or to kick the ball.

Last edited:
I think both games are gonna be awesome, instead of one rugby game we are getting 2 in one year, I'm happy.
That's how I see it too. After over 3 years without being able to play a rugby union game of any kind on my 360, getting 2 coming along together means that they BOTH must be bought for posterity. Here is a man who contemplated playing, and very nearly bought, the league version of the game just so he could get some kind of rugby "fix" as playing M*dd*n American football games just wasn't doing it for me. Wh knows when any future versions of rugby union games will be produced. Will buy both....play both....and look after them lovingly.

not really a fan of that slow mo kicking thing... that doesnt happen in real life lol but RC def winning in my books.

After the disappointment of Rugby League Live (I'm one of those odd people who enjoys both codes) the luxury of having two Rugby games to choose from is great. Challenge looks better, but it`s all about gameplay for me.

not really a fan of that slow mo kicking thing... that doesnt happen in real life lol but RC def winning in my books.

Controlling individuals and whole teams while watching from a third person free floating perspective in 20 minute games of rugby where you can make a temporal skip past ref decision announcements doesn't happen in real life either :)

In any case, you can turn the slo mo kicking off.

Thats good to hear Mario, how does that work in Online Play, can one player have it enabled and the other disabled?

Anyway, I agree that it is a poor trailer from HB/505. That does not automatically correlate to a poor game however. Anyone who suggests otherwise are premature. They would never admit it, but what self-respecting man would.
On the other hand the Rugby Challenge trailer is a very good one. Respect to them for that. Did what any good trailer should do... Suck you in. Build hype. etc. Both trailers should be taken with a grain of salt.

But wouldn't you think that 2 companies who are both vying to show their product to it's best advantage and therefore make more sales, would produce their best possible presentation package. It appears to me that only Sidhe have done this in the past few weeks. HB/505 maybe haven't.

After seeing gameplay footage from RC (released on facebook), and comparing that to the trailer for RWC, I am definitely getting RC and may get RWC2011 when it isn't over $100. Just saying... (and I know people representing RWC2011 will question this, but that's what they're here for right?)

T'other way round for me. Getting RWC 2011 and will be looking for a sold on second hand RC. (That is if there will be any offloaded by disgruntled/disappointed RC players).

Last edited by a moderator:
Controlling individuals and whole teams while watching from a third person free floating perspective in 20 minute games of rugby where you can make a temporal skip past ref decision announcements doesn't happen in real life either :)

In any case, you can turn the slo mo kicking off.

you know what i meant :D and props on the info.

i think that the pros out weigh the cons of rc.
i can get over the fact that theres no set plays, or the way the full back quickly runs up and down the field
rwc will be judged when im playing that demo. :)

+1 for RC's online offering, with RWC not even having a ranking so good players keep playing good players this is a significant addition to the potential online longevity of the game:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/07/27/hands-on-jonah-lomu-rugby-challenge/
The usual options are available for online gaming, including private matches, invites, quick matches and leaderboards. Another nice touch is that everyone who plays online will have a reliability rating. This means 'rage quitters' will be flagged, so before you start the match you can check your opponent's rating and if they have a a low score, cancel the game rather than waste your time.

if you go on to sidhes forum you can see a full match being played which has been leaked

That leaked gameplay video was from months ago which caused Sidhe a lot of trouble as it was never supposed to be released. The game has been improved massively since then and that video was never meant to be released as it was a very early prototype.

just watched the RC leaked vid of the match, the defensive line is worrying me a lot. They were attacking from the 5m line and the guard was in a 3 point stance about 2m behind the goal line. The backs don't seem to make any sort of defensive line either. Hoping this is due to either pre-release AI or easy opponent...

just watched the RC leaked vid of the match, the defensive line is worrying me a lot. They were attacking from the 5m line and the guard was in a 3 point stance about 2m behind the goal line. The backs don't seem to make any sort of defensive line either. Hoping this is due to either pre-release AI or easy opponent...
Learn to read.

Latest posts