• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 7: Hurricanes v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

I can see North starting ahead of Daly and Daly moving to the bench.
This is absolutely what SHOULD happen.
In terms of likelihood though - it would require Gatland to admit a mistake... on the other hand, it would allow him to select another Welshman without too much criticism...

The jury is out.

BOD was great. Greatest?.....mmm I dont know. He never beat the All Blacks, if you get my gist. Great player no doubt.

McCaw was the greatest forward ever and he didn't beat the ABs either ...

See outside of NZ you aren't as important as you think . I love watching you guys play rugby it's amazing to watch but I'd rather never lose to wales again and never beat NZ . Haha

In a sane world Lawes, Henderson and Tipuric all put their hands up for the test side, but in reality I think Henderson will come in for Kruis and that's the only change.
North had his best game of the tour, could see him taking Daly's shirt, in which case he'll drop completely out of the 23 cause there's no chance Halfpenny isn't there.

McCaw was the greatest forward ever and he didn't beat the ABs either ...
Ahh you dont get my gist. I did write 'get my gist'. Like I said, he was a great player. But to me, to be the greatest is to do the greatest. In rugby beating the All Blacks is one of the greatest things you can do if its never been done before.

In a sane world Lawes, Henderson and Tipuric all put their hands up for the test side, but in reality I think Henderson will come in for Kruis and that's the only change.
North had his best game of the tour, could see him taking Daly's shirt.

See I think we might see Lawes in place of Kruis. I'd play Itoje and any of Lawes/Henderson/Kruis. With Henderson or Lawes on the bench. Kruis isn't an impact player for me so is a start or not in the squad.

North in Daly makes sense really, then its Daly or JJ on the bench. Most likely Daly as he is more versatile. Having a huge goal kicking range will be a plus as well if it is a close game.

Ahh you dont get my gist. I did write 'get my gist'. Like I said, he was a great player. But to me, to be the greatest is to do the greatest. In rugby beating the All Blacks is one of the greatest things you can do if its never been done before.
The trouble with that is that you're picking an individual from a team sport. The ability to beat the All Blacks (or anyone else) is NEVER down to just 1 man.

To pick a GOAT for a sport, it needs to be either an individual event (or very small teams) or a stat-loaded one. You can make a good arument for a Federer or a Bradman to be the GOAT in their sport; rugby just doesn't lend itself to picking GOATs on anything but personal opinion, which will vary dependent upon the person who's opinion is being given way too much to ever reach a consensus

It is but it's hugely unfair to base how good an individual player is on how good his team mates are . I'm absolutely sure that had BOD been a New Zealander you would have won more world cups than you have ...

I think you don't even have to beat the All Blacks to be honest. Carter's two IRB player of the year awards are already a better indicator of his influence and his excellence as a five eighth during his prime compared to any other player in the world.

In the 1990's Ireland beat tier 1 opposition 9 times, less than one win a year, BOD debuted in 2000 and saw Ireland win four triple crowns, a grand slam, beat all three world champions of the decade etc... he won another 6 nations, beat an SH side in the SH for the first time in 40 years (of Irish rugby) and won three Heineken cups. He, himself, didn't beat the best but he was the main catalyst to bring a **** poor rugby union to place where they would, that's as good as if you ask me.

But the Irish team wasn't good enough to beat the All Blacks at the time. BOD wass likely the best in his position in the world, but he can't be the ABs on his own. Where as Tindall has beaten the ABs, won a WC, etc, Not a better player by any rate than BOD though.

I think you don't even have to beat the All Blacks to be honest. Carter's two IRB player of the year awards are already a better indicator of his influence and his excellence as a five eighth during his prime compared to any other player in the world.
I know what youre saying but Im talking about my criteria for greatness for guys like BOD who DONT play in the All Blacks. Thats basically what Im talking about. Picking out an All Black to say he didnt beat the ABs is just looking for a loophole in my criteria lol.

Latest posts