• Ireland

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • France

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The independent commission report ranked all three countries as equally safe. If the Irish bid is not using that to discredit the report they're terribly foolish because regardless of how safe France or SA claim to be they're not as safe as Ireland. 35% of the report was weighted on the bid for the tournament where France offered 140 mil, SA 150 and Ireland 120, again the Irish bid should be attacking that as it has very little to do with actually hosting the tournament. Our infrastructure failed us badly as a lot of the stadia need developing rather than not being good enough, its a government backed bid so it won't be a struggle to do this. Ireland are very capable of hosting this tournament, I think we'd bring the best tournament atmosphere and it would be remembered fondly for virtually anyone who visited while not having the obvious safety and political risks of the other two nations who are undeniably more unstable.

Also, don't be rats NZ remember 2011, remember that big slice of pie you got in Chicago, remember who's providing you with your next World Cup winning vote, vote right, vote green, real green.

New Zealand won't vote for us, despite all we threw their way in return for a vote, because they said they'd vote with what the report recommended. The same report surely would have poleaxed them for the same reasons as us, but oh well.
I agree with Alpha the safety and security factor not being in our favour is a farce, but I think some of it came down to SA and France providing a far more extensive strategy (that we likely wouldn't need). That said the money is also unfairly weighted. We're a small country, we more than have the means provided to make the tournament a huge success.
It was definitely a fair point that some of our stadiums need work, and I'd add our transport systems are quite disjointed and a mess.

New Zealand won't vote for us, despite all we threw their way in return for a vote, because they said they'd vote with what the report recommended. The same report surely would have poleaxed them for the same reasons as us, but oh well.
I agree with Alpha the safety and security factor not being in our favour is a farce, but I think some of it came down to SA and France providing a far more extensive strategy (that we likely wouldn't need). That said the money is also unfairly weighted. We're a small country, we more than have the means provided to make the tournament a huge success.
It was definitely a fair point that some of our stadiums need work, and I'd add our transport systems are quite disjointed and a mess.

#BlameDublin

I'll amend that. Ireland is very safe for everyone except for Tigs Man and his ilk.
Our crime is firmly organised and mainly a threat to other countries. A man dressed as queen Elizabeth carrying a fist full of diamonds would get by alright in town.

I'll amend that. Ireland is very safe for everyone except for Tigs Man and his ilk.
Our crime is firmly organised and mainly a threat to other countries. A man dressed as queen Elizabeth carrying a fist full of diamonds would get by alright in town.

This attitude right here is why Ireland didn't get the recommendation.

This attitude right here is why Ireland didn't get the recommendation.
The real reason we didn't get it is because some bright spark told them, just like how you can see Wales on a clear day from the Dublin mountains, on a windy day you can actually smell Leicester and it sent our safety and security ratings down the tube. That said the committee never took into account you will be able to hear the sound of Vuvuzela's from space if SA gets it.

Not to try and insult SA, but I think that's a bit rich, judging by the fact South Africa's crime statistics are higher in pretty much every measure imaginable, has more poverty and has had white farmers being targeted and murdered recently as an example of what I would call racially targeted terrorism.
France has definitely been the victim of terrorist attacks, but in general it seems to be a good bit safer, and Ireland is without a doubt the safest, but I suppose that's not really relevant anymore.
Would still like to and hope to visit SA for rugby, but I would definitely be wary.

With all due respect, we've hosted numerous tournament, even the coveted Fifa World Cup (which Ireland hasn't), and even with our crime stats, all those tournaments were a great success. One main reason is that these tournaments creates jobs, and that causes the poor not to do crime as they are getting money to survive.

I was merely pointing out that even with everything going on in our Country, other countries are also victims of crime, it's not isolated to just SA, and for people to use it as an excuse for us not to host it, is a bit shortsighted.

The real reason we didn't get it is because some bright spark told them, just like how you can see Wales on a clear day from the Dublin mountains, on a windy day you can actually smell Leicester and it sent our safety and security ratings down the tube. That said the committee never took into account you will be able to hear the sound of Vuvuzela's from space if SA gets it.

Have you heard any vuvuzelas during Ireland's tour last year to SA? or during any of the last 3 years of Rugby Championship?

It's a soccer thing.

That said the committee never took into account you will be able to hear the sound of Vuvuzela's from space if SA gets it.

They didn't need to, it's not part of our Rugby culture or allowed at Rugby matches!

With all due respect, we've hosted numerous tournament, even the coveted Fifa World Cup (which Ireland hasn't), and even with our crime stats, all those tournaments were a great success. One main reason is that these tournaments creates jobs, and that causes the poor not to do crime as they are getting money to survive.

I was merely pointing out that even with everything going on in our Country, other countries are also victims of crime, it's not isolated to just SA, and for people to use it as an excuse for us not to host it, is a bit shortsighted.

Have you heard any vuvuzelas during Ireland's tour last year to SA? or during any of the last 3 years of Rugby Championship?

It's a soccer thing.
On the crime thing you commented on France's terror attacks which I felt was unfair in the context of a RWC. Ireland has nothing to do with my post in reality, but if South Africa's crime is immaterial so are France's problem. They take stadium security very seriously now, it won't be an issue. I'll grant you neither country will mess up major events as hard as Brazil.
Also on the Vuvuzela's I was just joking. Fun fact, you also can't smell Leicester from Dublin, but the Wales thing is true.

France have hosted a major sporting event more recently with the only issue being Russian hooligans who were unarmed and had no legal reasons to not be allowed enter France.

Ireland have hosted a Ryder Cup, a Women's World Cup and will host the British Open and Euro 2020 matches before 2023. While these aren't major tournaments, although I'd wager that the two golf tournaments and the football matches will have higher peak viewing numbers than the rugby, I'd argue that if you believe pointing out South Africa's crime as a negative is unfair then so is pointing out Ireland's lack of experience.

In reality, Ireland fairly lost out to SA and France on infrastructure and experience while South Africa and France unfairly had equal scores in terms of safety with Ireland. I think that's where bitterness is coming from on our side, this is likely Ireland's last and only chance at hosting a World Cup with the growth of the game, rumours of expansion, and developing rugby nations like Spain considering it. Meanwhile the other two nations can host again and again and we haven't been marked fairly where we have a clear advantage and have been bought out of the race by SA who, despite having scored equal in commercial revenue, hammered us financially simply by offering World Rugby more money up front. The report also doesn't account for the ability to fill out rugby stadia with Ireland holding the record for highest attendance at a European Cup game (Semi Final '09) and Ireland v Romania being the highest attended RWC game ever with our record attendance for an international rugby match (82,000 v France and England 2009) being higher than any rugby attendance in France or SA also not being considered. From my reading this recommendation hammered Ireland for it's shortcomings and didn't reward us in the areas we would excel.
As I said earlier I'd love to go to SA and think you'd throw a great tournament but I think that 2023 is the one, and probably only rugby world cup, that we'd do better.

On the crime thing you commented on France's terror attacks which I felt was unfair in the context of a RWC. Ireland has nothing to do with my post in reality, but if South Africa's crime is immaterial so are France's problem. They take stadium security very seriously now, it won't be an issue. I'll grant you neither country will mess up major events as hard as Brazil.
Also on the Vuvuzela's I was just joking. Fun fact, you also can't smell Leicester from Dublin, but the Wales thing is true.

Crime, Terror attacks, Tsunami's, Werewolves...

All things which is unfair in the context of RWC, why point it out only with regard to SA, the the poster did to whom I was originally replying to.

I'm very sure that all 3 nations will have the best security at the stadiums. And that is not the issue here. It's not like I'm advocating for foreign tourists to go to the shoddiest area in Soweto of Khayelitsha and say, go have fun, try to return with your wallet.

We are one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world. And has been constantly a top tourist destination since 1992. It's not like we had a few years where crime suddenly disappeared, and only recently showed it's ugly head again?

I think some posters are just looking for excuses as to why SA shouldn't host the 2023 WC.

France have hosted a major sporting event more recently with the only issue being Russian hooligans who were unarmed and had no legal reasons to not be allowed enter France.

Ireland have hosted a Ryder Cup, a Women's World Cup and will host the British Open and Euro 2020 matches before 2023. While these aren't major tournaments, although I'd wager that the two golf tournaments and the football matches will have higher peak viewing numbers than the rugby, I'd argue that if you believe pointing out South Africa's crime as a negative is unfair then so is pointing out Ireland's lack of experience.

In reality, Ireland fairly lost out to SA and France on infrastructure and experience while South Africa and France unfairly had equal scores in terms of safety with Ireland. I think that's where bitterness is coming from on our side, this is likely Ireland's last and only chance at hosting a World Cup with the growth of the game, rumours of expansion, and developing rugby nations like Spain considering it. Meanwhile the other two nations can host again and again and we haven't been marked fairly where we have a clear advantage and have been bought out of the race by SA who, despite having scored equal in commercial revenue, hammered us financially simply by offering World Rugby more money up front. The report also doesn't account for the ability to fill out rugby stadia with Ireland holding the record for highest attendance at a European Cup game (Semi Final '09) and Ireland v Romania being the highest attended RWC game ever with our record attendance for an international rugby match (82,000 v France and England 2009) being higher than any rugby attendance in France or SA also not being considered. From my reading this recommendation hammered Ireland for it's shortcomings and didn't reward us in the areas we would excel.
As I said earlier I'd love to go to SA and think you'd throw a great tournament but I think that 2023 is the one, and probably only rugby world cup, that we'd do better.

Why not take this bitterness, and do what SA did and improve on their bid which they lost, and are now the front runners. Why put your eggs all in one basket?? Nothing is stopping Ireland from campaigning for 2027, 2031, 2035 or 2039?

Isn't this the first time Ireland actually made a bid to host a World Cup? if so, I will applaud them on their presentation. And if they don't win the bid on November 15th, then it's up to them to go back, and improve on the areas where they were weak in presentation.

If they do that, and compete with an upcoming nation in World Rugby, I bet it would take a lot to oversee them as hosts...

Why not take this bitterness, and do what SA did and improve on their bid which they lost, and are now the front runners. Why put your eggs all in one basket?? Nothing is stopping Ireland from campaigning for 2027, 2031, 2035 or 2039?

Isn't this the first time Ireland actually made a bid to host a World Cup? if so, I will applaud them on their presentation. And if they don't win the bid on November 15th, then it's up to them to go back, and improve on the areas where they were weak in presentation.

If they do that, and compete with an upcoming nation in World Rugby, I bet it would take a lot to oversee them as hosts...
There's rumours of the tournament going to 24 teams in 2027, stadium requirements are always getting bigger and it's not cheap for a union that runs four provinces to put bids like this together, never mind getting government backing like we did this time again. I don't think we have the luxury to bid again and again!

Fairly difficult for a country of our size to improve our bid beyond what it was now I think. It had the backing of two governments, the GAA and every possible bow in our string was taken out. Yes the bid has shortcomings, but we're probably never going to be able to match large countries for money and stuff like public transport won't change on the recommendation of World Rugby. If I was involved in the process, I probably wouldn't bid again anytime soon. It's costly and we'll be underdogs under the current criteria for some time to come unless we go in with a rake of other countries. Likewise we'll probably be overlooked for growing markets like the U.S anyway. Maybe we should have bid before, but bear in mind the GAA allowing foreign games in their stadia is relatively recent and NI government co-operation was not always a guarantee either.
The buy in we got from everyone this time probably won't happen again. An effort like this one is a big deal for us. No bad blood to whoever gets the tournament, but the fact South Africa and France has hosted a football world cup as you pointed out shows that hosting a RWC is not a very difficult feat for a country like South Africa, so to tell us to improve the bid is pretty easy to say coming from a country of 56 million or 67 million people and a huge infastructure.