• Ireland

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • France

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
France are using Jonah Lomu's kids to promote their bid to host the 2023 World Cup

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...not-jonah-lomus-sons-to-support-world-cup-bid

Really don't know how I feel about this. Jonah is iconic for the sport but it appears as if France are really clutching at straws using his kids for their bid.

1506384540375.jpg

Some slightly different thinking:

USA/Canada - has to happen one day, with rugby starting to take off in both countries. Canada has hosted major sporting events before, plus the USA hosted the 1994 Football World Cup.

Venues - New York, Miami, Memphis, Boston, Kansas City, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Seattle, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver (13)

Italy - as the new boys/whipping boys of the Six Nations, hosting Rugby's premier event will be a sign that they are a Rugby Nation and it may lead to an uptake of the sport in what is a Football-mad country.

Venues - Milan, Turin (Juventus & Torino), Roma, Naples, Bergamo, Genoa, Verona (Hellas Verona & Chievo), Florence, Bologna, Udine, Cagliari (13)

Argentina - The Pumas are well established globally as a force in World Rugby, and it would be a welcome economic shot-in-the-arm for the country.

Venues - Buenos Aries (La Bonboneira & Diego Maradona Stadiums), Tucuman, Cordoba (Talleres & Club Atletico Belgrano), Santa Fe, La Plata (Estudiantes & Club de Gimnasia), Mendoza, Avellaneda, Rosario, Parana, Flores (13)

Ireland unfortunately have it in the bag, France have just had it too recently, SA last had it in 1995, and France had it in 2007, SA has just as much infrastructure to host it, so from that perspective SA > France.
SA would have given it a good run had they not shat the bed politically, with quota systems, and the politicians throwing their toys out of the cot and not even sure if they'll let us host it Ireland must have it.

Just from a voting perspective SA have made enough enemies that I'm not sure who will vote for them (NZ only perhaps?), the rest of the North will surely vote Ireland as will the US after the Chicago test and Ireland sharing some of the hosting.
Ireland have it stitched up IMO.

not france...
this is probably going to be the last traditional world cup... meaning that you can probably slot which 20 teams are going to be in it right now (although I there might be a couple non-traditionals in this one even)
after this i'm thinking that ireland and south africa might not really be in the running for another one... south africa could if they cough*zuma*cough and his cronies out of office
france can host again when we have germany and spain in every world cup and western/central europe is prime real estate for the cups

Some slightly different thinking:

USA/Canada - has to happen one day, with rugby starting to take off in both countries. Canada has hosted major sporting events before, plus the USA hosted the 1994 Football World Cup.

Venues - New York, Miami, Memphis, Boston, Kansas City, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Seattle, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver (13)

Italy - as the new boys/whipping boys of the Six Nations, hosting Rugby's premier event will be a sign that they are a Rugby Nation and it may lead to an uptake of the sport in what is a Football-mad country.

Venues - Milan, Turin (Juventus & Torino), Roma, Naples, Bergamo, Genoa, Verona (Hellas Verona & Chievo), Florence, Bologna, Udine, Cagliari (13)

Argentina - The Pumas are well established globally as a force in World Rugby, and it would be a welcome economic shot-in-the-arm for the country.

Venues - Buenos Aries (La Bonboneira & Diego Maradona Stadiums), Tucuman, Cordoba (Talleres & Club Atletico Belgrano), Santa Fe, La Plata (Estudiantes & Club de Gimnasia), Mendoza, Avellaneda, Rosario, Parana, Flores (13)

we have many more venues! 1 river plate stadium. 2 la bombonera, 3 independiente 4 racing in avellaneda, 5 velez, 6 estadio único de la plata, 7 san lorezo stadium. These are all from Buenos aires and near by. all more than 40000 sits + 8 el gigante de arroyito in rosario, 9 talleres de cordoba, 10 mendoza, 11 salta , 12 tucuman and many smaller stadiums more

Last edited:
Not us. Making a WC costs money to put stadiums to IRB standards. We cant spend on that, we should not spend on that. Also half the people that come will get mugged xD plus some venues are 1500km away from each other you have to take a plane and the pos union of fliers will strike to seize the opportunity.

I like USA or Canada. Especially USA that has great NFL venues.

The way the NFL is going, I can see those stadiums being given over for Rugby Union teams very soon.

Take a knee, but in the financial knackers...

Not us. Making a WC costs money to put stadiums to IRB standards. We cant spend on that, we should not spend on that. Also half the people that come will get mugged xD plus some venues are 1500km away from each other you have to take a plane and the pos union of fliers will strike to seize the opportunity.

I like USA or Canada. Especially USA that has great NFL venues.

South Africa is in pretty much the same position as you. Perhaps you should take note of what we did. Host the Fifa World Cup first, let them build the stadiums, and then use those same stadiums in a bid to host the RWC.

Also, the distance between Cape Town and Pretoria also exceeds 1500km, so flying is really the only option. And as for muggings, that's the least of our problems.

If we can do it, then so can you.

The official report has recommended that South Africa get the tournament based largely on criteria no small country could hope to be able to compete with a large nation in (namely money), which surely would have sunk New Zealand's bid a few years ago, but hey these new criteria are here for transparency.
If you don't want to read the full report, the draws of a World Cup in South Africa are pretty well summed up here.

So, South Africa get the endorsement.

Maybe a good thing. No white elephants (i.e. Casement Park).

South Africa is in pretty much the same position as you. Perhaps you should take note of what we did. Host the Fifa World Cup first, let them build the stadiums, and then use those same stadiums in a bid to host the RWC.

Also, the distance between Cape Town and Pretoria also exceeds 1500km, so flying is really the only option. And as for muggings, that's the least of our problems.

If we can do it, then so can you.
Pretty much every report i ve read where a non rich country hosts fifa wc, rugby wc or olympic games suggest that it s not only not profitable but quite expensive.
I remember a video of a stadium in RSA that after being remodeled for 2010s wc was consistenly empty and was being used for bungee jumping and corporate events in a desperate attempt to get some money.

Not sure about rugby, but i know we have none (zero) stadia up to fifa wc standards. Not one. Our roads are a mess and our airlines go on strike once every two months. Infraestructure and logistics wise we do not have what it takes.

Last but not least, out political compass is equivalnt to a an elastic wand: we go from glorious to broke and from left to right in a fortnight and hosting a wc is a long term decision that requires commitment from pretty much all the political spectrum. It will be used by whoever is in power to blameshift whatever goes wrong.

To be honest, the idea of having to build roads, stadia and infraestructure in that scale scares the libing **** out of me. Big spending means corruption galore here. Sad but true.

Hosting a world cup would be a very, very silly decision for us. Pains me to admit it but it d be an accident waiting to happen.

We have other priorities.

We got the recommendation in 2011 as well.
I wouldn't stress too much if I were Irish, in the end votes matter, not the recommendation.

We got the recommendation in 2011 as well.
I wouldn't stress too much if I were Irish, in the end votes matter, not the recommendation.
This is the first time its been an independent recommendation and at the very least the NZRU said they'd vote in line with it. I think Ireland were relying on NZ which is why we had the test in Chicago last year as well as having our president visit the country and their HQ recently. France might nick it if the unions decide they want it closer to home and move from Ireland to France but I think we're done and will never host it! Best of luck!

This is the first time its been an independent recommendation and at the very least the NZRU said they'd vote in line with it. I think Ireland were relying on NZ which is why we had the test in Chicago last year as well as having our president visit the country and their HQ recently. France might nick it if the unions decide they want it closer to home and move from Ireland to France but I think we're done and will never host it! Best of luck!

SARU had a press conference an hour ago. And Jurie Roux was pertinently asked if the SANZAAR nations are on board with SA hosting. To which Jurie said, yes, both NZ and Aus have expressed that they are behind SA hosting. But he didn't mention anything Argentina.

I think that because it's an independent commission that made this recommendation, it might hold more sway than in the past.

Here's holding thumbs we are announced as the host.

While obviously disappointed that Ireland didn't get the recommendation, I want what's best for the sport as a whole. If a SA hosted World Cup helps the game grow more than an Irish one, that's great news.

It'll be interesting to see where pledged votes go. Ireland reportedly had North America sewn up. Will that still be the case?

I don't think any of the options available particularly help to grow the game to be fair, but the French could pull in a good continental crowd and based on what I saw at the WRWC we would pull a lot of North Americans in. Not sure about South Africa, as it's relatively isolated from the rugby world in comparison. You'd have to say the French do their bit to push rugby in smaller rugby nations a bit though, a fact that was pointed out to Ireland in the report I believe, which is fair. Would be nice if a couple of smaller rugby nations banded together one day to try get the tournament.

A big issue in report was 3 stadiums in very close proximity. It is kind of embarrassing we finished last in nearly all categories. Considering all the hype

Latest posts