• Ireland

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • France

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Struggling to fathom why Ireland, Wales and Scotland didn't band together and sort one. The Gaelic World Cup.

Two stadia from Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburgh)
Four in Wales ( Cardiff, Swansea, Llanelli, Newport/Wrexham)
4-6 in Ireland. (Dublin, Belfast, Limerick...) <-- someone else finish this

I think SA might be a good bet ITO growing the game (at least in comparison to those in the race) in that I do believe we would be an attractive place to visit. I don't think our isolated geographic position has any bearing here. People would have to fly in any case and our affordability as a destination and 'uniqueness' as a destination surely must be a lure. I know Cape Town is riddled with tourists ATM. I don't see that changing.

Other than that on a more personal level, my boy would be 11 by the time 2023 swings round. Would love to take him to a few matches. I was 13 in 1995. I know it was 1995 that cemented my love for rugby as my family weren't 'rugby folk'.

Struggling to fathom why Ireland, Wales and Scotland didn't band together and sort one. The Gaelic World Cup.

Two stadia from Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburgh)
Four in Wales ( Cardiff, Swansea, Llanelli, Newport/Wrexham)
4-6 in Ireland. (Dublin, Belfast, Limerick...) <-- someone else finish this
I've always favoured that TBH - but...
Brexit really messes with this option (along with so many other things)

I would obviously be thrilled to host it, but I'm really trying not to get my hopes up.

ea01b6145c6541b58ea684c8acf191cb.jpg

So they took all the stadiums of the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Of which only Loftus, Ellis Park and Bloemfontein were upgraded rugby stadiums.

From a sentimental perspective i hoped that Ellis park would get the final. Especially if SA made it to the final. But World rugby probably only cares about raw seat numbers.
Surely they could have worked in Kings Park stadium and Newlands. If they needed a bit of upgrading then so be it that's one of the pros of a world cup that some of your domestic sides gets improved facilities.
Now maybe i feel a little like the Football teams will benefit more in the long term than the rugby teams.
Yes one of the main areas where our bid was strong was the message that everything is ready already but they could have afforded to include a few stadium upgrades ( if in fact necessary) for the benefit our our Super rugby sides without compromising their bid quality.

From a sentimental perspective i hoped that Ellis park would get the final. Especially if SA made it to the final. But World rugby probably only cares about raw seat numbers.
Surely they could have worked in Kings Park stadium and Newlands. If they needed a bit of upgrading then so be it that's one of the pros of a world cup that some of your domestic sides gets improved facilities.
Now maybe i feel a little like the Football teams will benefit more in the long term than the rugby teams.
Yes one of the main areas where our bid was strong was the message that everything is ready already but they could have afforded to include a few stadium upgrades ( if in fact necessary) for the benefit our our Super rugby sides without compromising their bid quality.

With all the talk at WP. I get the feeling that Newlands will inevitably die a slow painful death. it seems like Cape Town Stadium is becoming a much more attractive prospect.

With all the talk at WP. I get the feeling that Newlands will inevitably die a slow painful death. it seems like Cape Town Stadium is becoming a much more attractive prospect.
This may trigger some people, and I'm only an "immigrant" to Cape Town and have only been here for the last 4 years but Newlands is a claustrophobic hole, while Green Point is beautiful and well designed. (I live walking distance from Newlands and we go to 80% of home games).

I'd rather tourists see Green Point than Newlands.

France every day for me the weather the food and the infra structure
Still doesn't change the fact that France just had a world cup, also our weather is better :p .

I wanted Ireland due to convenience (logistics would be very simple) but i have a feeling it could turn out like what happens in Wales, where you can get a ticket but the prices for accommodation are simply ludicrous.
Atmosphere wise, i'd have to give it to Ireland. Same for safety.

I wanted Ireland due to convenience (logistics would be very simple) but i have a feeling it could turn out like what happens in Wales, where you can get a ticket but the prices for accommodation are simply ludicrous.
Atmosphere wise, i'd have to give it to Ireland. Same for safety.
You would be dead right on accommodation for the record. Dublin would be even more ridiculous than usual.

It's part of the bid that hotels wouldn't go mad upping the price of rooms but it wouldn't be cheap. To be honest though I knew no one around the same age as me who could afford to go to London without knowing someone who'd put them up. I imagine Paris would be the same.

I think I'll go this tournament regardless of where it is (employment pending), preference would be Ireland then SA because I'd love to do SA on a rugby tour and I have shite all interest following the Lions.

Really? Have you ever tasted our food, or experienced our weather??
Not for a few years but French food is the best in the world as far as I'm concerned and I do prefer the French climate, plus its a little safer in French cities and towns for the tourist imo

Not for a few years but French food is the best in the world as far as I'm concerned and I do prefer the French climate, plus its a little safer in French cities and towns for the tourist imo

Yeah, because we have concerts that gets armed gunmen, and drivers looking to drive into people on purpose...

This may trigger some people, and I'm only an "immigrant" to Cape Town and have only been here for the last 4 years but Newlands is a claustrophobic hole, while Green Point is beautiful and well designed. (I live walking distance from Newlands and we go to 80% of home games).

I'd rather tourists see Green Point than Newlands.

Not triggered at all. I've been calling for Newlands to get turned into an office park since 2010. The traffic and parking at Newlands is awful. People saying the fact that you have to arrive 5 hours beforehand and have a braai are just sentimental and looking to trun the congestion into a positive. Have a braai in Greenpoint park right on the doorstep of CTS beforehand if you want. You don't have the NEED to though like with Newlands. Also, CT stadium is simply just a great stadium ITO any parameter anyone might care to mention. Assuming WPRU would get a big injection of cash as well from selling off the Newlands grounds as it is prime property smack dab in the middle of the Claremont business district on top off the City of CT would probably bend over backward to accommodate a regular tenant.

Yeah, because we have concerts that gets armed gunmen, and drivers looking to drive into people on purpose...
Not to try and insult SA, but I think that's a bit rich, judging by the fact South Africa's crime statistics are higher in pretty much every measure imaginable, has more poverty and has had white farmers being targeted and murdered recently as an example of what I would call racially targeted terrorism.
France has definitely been the victim of terrorist attacks, but in general it seems to be a good bit safer, and Ireland is without a doubt the safest, but I suppose that's not really relevant anymore.
Would still like to and hope to visit SA for rugby, but I would definitely be wary.

Not to try and insult SA, but I think that's a bit rich, judging by the fact South Africa's crime statistics are higher in pretty much every measure imaginable, has more poverty and has had white farmers being targeted and murdered recently as an example of what I would call racially targeted terrorism.
France has definitely been the victim of terrorist attacks, but in general it seems to be a good bit safer, and Ireland is without a doubt the safest, but I suppose that's not really relevant anymore.
Would still like to and hope to visit SA for rugby, but I would definitely be wary.
I'll have you know I haven't been murdered once in my 27 years of life.

In all seriousness the high crime rates and murder rates are largely driven by gang violence and murders in our poorest communities.
We're very much a country of huge divides between middle class and poor. I walk around in Cape Town all the time, in the middle of town, in the Suburbs, along the coast, but if I did the same thing in gang territory or in our slums, no doubt I wouldn't last long.
In short it's pretty safe as long as you stay away from the slums (townships), which no tourist is going to do. Half my family live in England and they are always shocked at how safe and first world we are (once again provided you don't visit our poorest communities).

Edit (scrubbed some stuff): On second thought I'm not touching the white farmers thing with a ten foot pole.

Would be cool if we get it, but quite negative towards the country at the moment (tax going to ****, got mugged in one of the safest area's in cape town) so I won't mind if it's in Ireland or France, hoping to be in Europe by 2023 anyway.

EDIT:

Wouldn't mind watching the Boks at home for a RWC game though...

I'll have you know I haven't been murdered once in my 27 years of life.

In all seriousness the high crime rates and murder rates are largely driven by gang violence and murders in our poorest communities.
We're very much a country of huge divides between middle class and poor. I walk around in Cape Town all the time, in the middle of town, in the Suburbs, along the coast, but if I did the same thing in gang territory or in our slums, no doubt I wouldn't last long.
In short it's pretty safe as long as you stay away from the slums (townships), which no tourist is going to do. Half my family live in England and they are always shocked at how safe and first world we are (once again provided you don't visit our poorest communities).

Edit (scrubbed some stuff): On second thought I'm not touching the white farmers thing with a ten foot pole.
That's fair enough, I haven't been, just mainly going off what I read and stats, but I did get the impression it was avoidable for tourists. Also on the farmers, I'm going off what I read, you lads would know a lot better than me, but I think over-egging of the situation in France is going on a bit too.

Latest posts