• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Test] South Africa vs Wales (1st Test)

Eish I'm much more concerned than that, SA by 5 or less.

Wales: Liam Williams, Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North, Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips, Gethin Jenkins, Ken Owens, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones (captain), Dan Lydiate, Aaron Shingler, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Matthew Rees, Paul James, Samson Lee, Ian Evans, Josh Turnbull, Gareth Davies, James Hook, Matthew Morgan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27804689

Only a question but what are the selection of Biggar and Phillips based upon....surely there are better half backs but then, I see Hook must be covering? What about the lad that plays for Leicester?

Only a question but what are the selection of Biggar and Phillips based upon....surely there are better half backs but then, I see Hook must be covering? What about the lad that plays for Leicester?
He's banned for the summer for "contact with the eyes" (basically cleared a guy out of a ruck by the face, and put his hand around the guys eyes by accident - nothing malicious in it but "duty of care" etc.)

He's banned for the summer for "contact with the eyes" (basically cleared a guy out of a ruck by the face, and put his hand around the guys eyes by accident - nothing malicious in it but "duty of care" etc.)

Not so sure about that myself - looked like a half-hearted rake on Burrell's face.

Thanks.....shame as he was doing good during latter part of season and keeping Flood out on merit!

Why Phillips?

Why Phillips?
Presumably because of his experience and physicality against a very physical boks pack - throw in one of the youngsters and you don't know how they'll react to all that MASS coming at them at the ruck.
Wales do really need to find a true successor to Philips, but he's likely to be their 9 in the RWC so makes sense to get a good partnership going (again) between him and Biggar.

16.00 bst

Cheers bud.

Question for Welsh fans: what has happened to Eli Walker? He seems to have disappeared from the Welsh squad scene after almost playing in the Autumn internationals.

Ah a decent ref at last............................SA to lose by 2 points (well you can dream and choice is difficult when it is Wales v SA as would normally take most sides against either of them!!)

Great finish by Bananaman.
I really love Le Roux - there's so many good fullbacks knocking around at the moment in world rugby.

That was a brilliant try!

Gotta run...will check back later. Looks like a good game in the early minutes, though.

das

Right - so the severity of the challenge is judged by the outcome of the angle of the fall?

This is oddly similar to the November game. South Africa are just too strong, too quick and too clinical right now.

Edit: Thats 21 points in 21 minutes for SA!

So not always size does matter... Wales obsession with HUGE backs was exposed by Le Raux.