• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Tests] New Zealand vs England (2nd Test)

The ABs performed the Ka Mate Haka in the 1st test, which showed they did not hold last week's England side in high regard. I wonder if they will perform the Kapa O Pango Haka tomorrow, reserved for the teams they hold in high regard.

That's not quite true. We perform Kapa O Pango only a couple of times a season and I think we hold more than a couple of games each season in high regard.

We also held England in high regard well before last week.

That's not quite true. We perform Kapa O Pango only a couple of times a season and I think we hold more than a couple of games each season in high regard.

We also held England in high regard well before last week.

I think you need to count how many times the ABs did Kapo O Pango. Certainly against the Saffers home and away, v France away and England at Twickenham; all of which I watched. That's 4 at the minimum. Anyone else care to chip in?

The ABs certainly did not do KOP v Ireland in Dublin, which they only just won.

Something I'm worried about from an ABs perspective is how good the English bench will be, especially the forwards. Like how good will it be for the English pack when Hartley and Lawes come fizzing on with 30 to go.. They could add some huge impact.

We are going to need the same from Vito and Tuipolotu, not sure we will get it though. I think we will need to start strong and build a lead, I don't think we will be able to run you lot down this time around given the bench strength.

I don't agree with some of the predictions by the bookies - I'm seeing a win by 5 or less either way. Not brave enough to name a winner either.

You see what's happening to Spain in the World Cup?...... well sooner or later.....

Been reading previews of this game and now I'm v.v.gutted that I'm working through it :(

Fingers crossed I can convince my manager to let me go home after 90mins/6.5 hours early :lol:

Haha let's hope they are no parallels.. The ABs are more the Brazil of rugby rather than Spain though I would have thought?

nonsense, Brazil have won more cups than any nation...;)

Something I'm worried about from an ABs perspective is how good the English bench will be, especially the forwards. Like how good will it be for the English pack when Hartley and Lawes come fizzing on with 30 to go.. They could add some huge impact.

AND VUNIPOLA dude, don't forget that guy.

Only 10 hours and 10 minutes to go... One more football match and sleepies.. hmmm so really it's like 3 hours to go!!!! Excited for tomorrow's games :)

We are going to need the same from Vito and Tuipolotu, not sure we will get it though. I think we will need to start strong and build a lead, I don't think we will be able to run you lot down this time around given the bench strength.

I don't agree with some of the predictions by the bookies - I'm seeing a win by 5 or less either way. Not brave enough to name a winner either.

I agree England's bench looks a lot more threatening this weekend. Some of the AB's bench players made a good impact last weekend - Vito and Crockett in particular - but others (Perenara & Barrett) were rather poor. I think Barrett will make a bit more of an impact this weekend if he is used in his rightful position - his pace could be a real asset in the last 20 minutes if it has been a fast-paced match....

If as you suggest this turns out to be a very close match (5 points either way) the AB's are in trouble in my opinion. This is not to say England aren't a good side - they clearly are, and have pushed us in our last two meetings (and thrashed us in the meeting before that!). However if we cannot comfortably win at home in a stadium that is ideally suited for our style of rugby we are going to be in big trouble at next years RWC in England! I don't think this AB's side is in any way unbeatable - indeed I expect us to lose at least a couple of matches this season - but I still think they clearly the best side in the world, and are still capable of putting 15+ points on any side in world rugby if we fire (obviously the opposition has some say in this too!).

I'm picking it will be a high scoring match, with the AB's ended up with a (relatively) comfortable win. Something along the lines of 40-20. Last weekends tight match has certainly made this weekends match a lot more intriguing!

Last edited:
I thought England had won already... at least thats what the papers have been saying all week here in London.
It's a sure thing.. and it may well end up that way but by George there is a lot of hyperbole in the London tabloids.
Savea could make a big impact, IF the AB tight five can get any ball.
Can our tight five lift themselves from last weeks awfully mediocre performance.
Is Tony Woodcock passed it?
Is McCaw too old?
Will Read be alright for the final test?

I do think it's basically time for McCaw. He's not what he used to be at all, and is often a non-factor in these recent test matches. He's much slower...I'm not going to say outright he's there off reputation, but there is definitely a bit of this.
In fact, what would the NZ third row look like if he stops:
6-
7-
8-
20-

I think you need to count how many times the ABs did Kapo O Pango. Certainly against the Saffers home and away, v France away and England at Twickenham; all of which I watched. That's 4 at the minimum. Anyone else care to chip in?

The ABs certainly did not do KOP v Ireland in Dublin, which they only just won.

Sweet. We'll just do KOP in every game and never lose again. What haka we do is irrelevant and to suggest it is why we almost lost to Ireland is probably insulting to the Irish.

Also we almost lost all of those four games you mention last year! Apart from the one against South Africa at home when we were helped out by the referee. You sell yourself short.

Last edited:
I do think it's basically time for McCaw. He's not what he used to be at all, and is often a non-factor in these recent test matches. He's much slower...I'm not going to say outright he's there off reputation, but there is definitely a bit of this.
6-
7-
8-
20-

He hit 32 rucks last week. The next best Whitelock only hit 20. You can't be too slow to do that much work.

6-
7-
8-
20-

Unless injured McCaw will be the ABs starting 7 at next years RWC. He certainly isn't the player he once was, but can still do a resonable job a test level. Are there better NZ 7s at Super Rugby level? IMO yes. Would I pick them ahead of McCaw for a crucial test? Probably not.

To answer your question:
6. Kaino
7. Cane
8. Read
19. Messam/Vito

There are better 7s in NZ than Cane (Braid & Todd), but Cane has been annointed as McCaws succesor. Cane plays the same style as McCaw, and to be fair has looked very comfortable at test level - indeed he looks a better test player than a Super Rugby player....

Last edited:
With the best NH's second row, with Danny Care and Owen Farrell. With Billy Twelvetrees and Luther Burrell and Manu at winger.

I think England by 5

:cool:

Latest posts