• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 4: Australia vs. Scotland (18/10/2015)

Well 24 hours later I promised myself I would come and take the Mickey out of all the upset Scots but I cannot bring myself to do it, Scotland were robbed and deserved to be in the semi-finals.

In the cold light of day I have re-analysed the OzV Scots 1/4. My 1st point is the Australians played this a lot looser than the group games, maybe their phsyci told them this would be easier than their group games so they played in a less structured way, this led them to score 5 tries to Scotlands 3 of which one was an interception try and another after a bad clearance kick was charged down, so although Scotland ran them close on the score board in real terms they were along way off and had Oz lost it would have been because they gifted it to Scotland, something they will learn from.
Rather than blame the ref as Scotlands fans are doing I would thank the Australians for allowing you to have hope almost till the end.

Or perhaps Australia only scored those tries because Scotland didn't drift defence enough therefore it was Scotland gifting it?

The argument doesn't work. Basically says unless you play against a PERFECT team who gives you nothing, then you were gifted the game. The interception and charge down could both be accredited to an incredible Scotland workrate or speed off the line as well.

Amazing to think Australia scored 5 tries, and almost lost. What a RWC this has been.

Or perhaps Australia only scored those tries because Scotland didn't drift defence enough therefore it was Scotland gifting it?

The argument doesn't work. Basically says unless you play against a PERFECT team who gives you nothing, then you were gifted the game. The interception and charge down could both be accredited to an incredible Scotland workrate or speed off the line as well.

Your opinion differs from mine, however if those teams were to play each other 10 times Australia would win 9 of them, they are simply a better side with better players who play better rugby.

Your opinion differs from mine, however if those teams were to play each other 10 times Australia would win 9 of them, they are simply a better side with better players who play better rugby.

I'm not saying I believe that. But ALL points are gifted in one way or another. To say that only one sides' was is silly.

Also I don't deny they are better. So what? Scotland should be pleased that they only just lost?!

I'm not saying I believe that. But ALL points are gifted in one way or another. To say that only one sides' was is silly.

Also I don't deny they are better. So what? Scotland should be pleased that they only just lost?!

Yes they should, as they could easily have been hammered, the other side of the coin is Australia should be extremely disappointed in not putting this to bed earlier.

Yes they should, as they could easily have been hammered, the other side of the coin is Australia should be extremely disappointed in not putting this to bed earlier.

So Wales should be thankful if they lose to England. England has much more money and many more players.

Or thankful if they lose to Ireland as Ireland have a much better selection of players.

And Wales should be THRILLED to bits if they ever get close to NZ?

Rubbish. Every team goes out to win and anything less can be considered good, but not pleasing.

The famed Aussie scrum were humped by a better Scottish front five - hence the penalties hence the Scottish lead right up to the end .

So Wales should be thankful if they lose to England. England has much more money and many more players.

Or thankful if they lose to Ireland as Ireland have a much better selection of players.

And Wales should be THRILLED to bits if they ever get close to NZ?

Rubbish. Every team goes out to win and anything less can be considered good, but not pleasing.

I believe that when all are fit we have the best squad in the NH so no to all 3 of your questions, I am not bitter regarding our injuries but it is safe to say had we been able to select Gats 1st choice players we would have made the final, as we would have done 4 years ago had we retained 15 players on the pitch in the semi, but what happened, happened, well done to all the Welsh heroes.

I thought given I'd had a go at all home nations including my own people would be able to see it for what it was.

Obviously most on here have had a humour transplant or have a fully paid up pass on the offended bus.

Seriously, you're trying to turn this onto me and make it my issue? There's nothing you could write that would offend me. It is frustrating that coming onto a rugby forum to discuss the game before and after the event you have to wade through a fair amount of sh*t stirring nonsense to get to anything of substance, and unfortunately you don't seem to have contributed much of the latter of late.

Yeah, that was a bit over the top. On this forum at least most of Scottish boys have been pretty reasonable and fair.

Well you did make a post about "feral" Scottish fans pelting Joubert with bottles for which you have yet to provide any evidence for. Is that something i'm meant to take lightly?

Joubert ran down the tunnel because some mindless thug threw a bottle at him according to talk sport this morning.

As has already been evidenced with a video clip, Joubert was already on his toes before any apparent plastic bottle (for which I've still yet to find any photograph or video evidence for) was thrown. Also, as I've already stated beforehand, the story I've heard is that this bottle may have been thrown by one of the Scotland team/coaching staff. However, it's a long way to suggest that a bottle thrown onto the running track in frustration was aimed for the referee. Unless someone has some evidence for making such a claim then I think they should wind their neck in until such time.

Exactly. As much as it's always lovely to score a try based on a few slick passes and then a 50 meter sprint, if Scotland manage to score tries based on taking advantage of Australia's poor defence on one occasion and putting pressure on the Aussies and taking advantage of the mistakes they were forced to make then they are as legitimate tries as any other scored and so to try and suggest otherwise doesn't stick.

Also, keep your sweeping generalisations and blanket statements to yourself in future. I find it funny that your comment is in itself a whiny complaint about how the Scottish and Welsh whine and complain.

No indeed.

I'll continue to make crass generalisations and stereotypes as I see fit.

[Yez whine like a heard of sheep when the farmer is outside the field with a bag of meal over his shoulder. That's an analogy you men of the valleys should be well able to understand.]

so nobody noticed this then?

I did. I laughed.

But he is a wee rat and not reflective of the typical upstanding English gentleman.

Hes more the vindaloo, larger lout ingerlund type.

Chris "I'm a bloody good bloke me" would never behave like that. Besides, the interview would be over and microphone long since departed before he'd get himself into a prime pouting posture.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, you're trying to turn this onto me and make it my issue?

You've just turned it into your issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
No indeed.

I'll continue to make crass generalisations and stereotypes as I see fit.

[Yez whine like a heard of sheep when the farmer is outside the field with a bag of meal over his shoulder. That's an analogy you men of the valleys should be well able to understand.]

I did. I laughed.

But he is a wee rat and not reflective of the typical upstanding English gentleman.

Hes more the vindaloo, larger lout ingerlund type.

Chris "I'm a bloody good bloke me" would never behave like that. Besides, the interview would be over and microphone long since departed before he'd get himself into a prime pouting posture.

- - - Updated - - -

You've just turned it into your issue.

Yes Brown is a Ronnie Pickering but I wouldn't mind 15 off rude obnoxious types if it meant we won next years 6 Nations

The 'bottle being thrown at the ref' incident...

Cheika is the man who said it happened. And only Chieka.

No one else has so far corroborated it, or supplied any evidence of it happening. That's in a stadium of 90,000 fans, staff, reporters, police, stewards, and 10's of thousands of cameras.

Seems if the same uncorroborated story gets re-told often enough it then becomes an internet fact! Jeez, some UK papers reported that Joubert was being pelted with a shower of bottles... ah, yes - of course he was!

And the UK papers source for this story... well, they heard it from their Aus media colleagues (so back to the Chieka statement I guess).

The only other mention of a bottle being thrown during the entire game relates to a member of the Scottish team hammering a water bottle down onto the ground in frustration at the final whistle and it exploding. It wasn't aimed at anyone, and it never hit anyone.

Coincidence?

I hope the SRU challenge Chieka on his words as they are very damaging.

Also worth noting that part of this problem relates to Joubert having previous form for apparently favouring SH teams.

The most obvious one that springs to mind was the final in 2011...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/78095bf1-b86b-4939-8bbf-a7dc24394e14[/video]

The pair, key members of the Scotland pack, were charged by Australian independent citing commissioner Scott Nowland.

Now I haven't seen either incident and I'm sure there is nothing untoward going on, but surely there could have been a citing commissioner assigned to the game that wasn't from a potential quarter-final opponent.

This is old but I only heard about it today so apologies, but the the decision to overturn the ban was made by a 3 man panel chaired by Christopher Quinlan but on that panel was none other then former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

Want to talk about appearances how about having a bitter former coach massively influencing whether two players can play against his former club.

...But he also missed all the illegal scrumagging by Scotland. They should have been yellow carded but got penalties and points instead

I don't agree with that at all.

The Wallabies No 1 (Sio?) was being handed a scrummaging lesson by the Scots THP, and was responsible for most if not all the problems on their loosehead side... collapsing, dropping his bind & turning in. Things were shored up a bit by Slipper when he came on in the second half, but that Aussie scrum did not look good.

The Argie forwards will be licking their lips right now. They are a much better side than they were in the Rugby Championship, and I rate their chances of knocking the Wallabies over next Sunday.

I don't agree with that at all.

The Wallabies No 1 (Sio?) was being handed a scrummaging lesson by the Scots THP, and was responsible for most if not all the problems on their loosehead side... collapsing, dropping his bind & turning in. Things were shored up a bit by Slipper when he came on in the second half, but that Aussie scrum did not look good.

The Argie forwards will be licking their lips right now. They are a much better side than they were in the Rugby Championship, and I rate their chances of knocking the Wallabies over next Sunday.

We will have to Agree to Disagree, What is more believable that Sio the form prop of the entire WC suddenly goes to crap or Scotland were illegally collapsing and the ref was conned into believing that it was Sio and once it was in Joubert's mind they just did it over and over and over again.

I still don't understand their continued insistence that the ref could not have used the TMO when their own protocols state clearly that it can.

To repeat myself...

The protocol...

(b) A match organiser may appoint an official known as a Television Match Official (TMO) who uses technological devices to clarify situations relating to:

1. Where there is doubt as to whether a ball has been grounded in in-goal for a score or a touchdown
  2. Where there is doubt as to whether a kick at goal has been successful
  3. Where there is doubt as to whether players were in touch or touch in goal before grounding the ball in in-goal or the ball has been made dead
  4. Where match officials believe an infringement may have occurred leading to a try or in preventing a try providing that the potential infringement has occurred no more than two phases (rucks or mauls) after the potential infringement and before the ball has been grounded in in-goal
  5. Where match officials believe foul play may have occurred
  6. The clarification of sanctions required for acts of foul play.

As it is written, Rule 5 is a stand-alone essential of the protocol, and it clearly provides that match officials can use the TMO to review instances where they believe that foul play has occurred. A deliberate offside - as indicated by Joubert in awarding the penalty - is an act of 'foul play'. The legislation therefore provides that the last minute Sco v Aus incident can be reviewed.

It has also been suggested by some that the review can only be made in connection with foul play in the build up to a try-scoring opportunity. This is not the case with the protocol (as written), as Rule 4 clearly deals with that matter separately. Furthernore, we have already seen the TMO being involved in the investigation of allegations of foul play NOT leading up to a try scoring opportunity during this tournament.

Get your act together World Rugby!

Latest posts