• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 4: Australia vs. Scotland (18/10/2015)

What do you mean they didn't deserve to win, the scoreboard doesn't lie, I could argue you were lucky to win the last WC when France were the better team, but the scoreboard said different. There was no more gutted than me when SA did us at the death, but its over can't go back, time to look forward to the Autumn Internationals and beyond, one things for sure though the winner will be the team with the most points on that scoreboard.
As to next weekend I would like to see New Zealand beat SA simply because they play a better brand of rugby, the other semi I don't mind who wins but I fancy it will be a cracker.

Because of the final poor penalty, that has now been admitted by RWC to have been incorrect. Scotland surely would have won by 2pts.

Because of the final poor penalty, that has now been admitted by RWC to have been incorrect. Scotland surely would have won by 2pts.

And Samoa would have to have beaten Scotland, and no one has said anything. And the Scots had advantage against a tired Japan after their win vs SA. So Scotland didn't deserve their place in quarters

bad_decision_against_samoa.jpg

Hmm, I'm not aware of the Samoan thing? The rest is irrelevant. This is a penalty in the dying seconds of a match which had direct links to the match result, it's entirely different from penalties throughout a match where a team has the opportunity to 'hit back' and or to consider their options/change their tactics as a result.

The biggest culprit is the Scottish hooker with his stupid throw in the last seconds of the game. The throw would have to have been short to ensure the possession. Anyway it was a scrum for Australia

The biggest culprit is the Scottish hooker with his stupid throw in the last seconds of the game. The throw would have to have been short to ensure the possession. Anyway it was a scrum for Australia

From which they would have got a penalty as the Scottish front row collapsed it! They would have taken it quickly while Laidlaw was whingeing at the ref and Habana would have scored under the posts leaving a simple conversion while Joubert used a handy bottle that was thrown as he was called short before running down the tunnel.......

Interesting that you are so sure Australia, who had already scored 5 tries, would have been unable to make anything out of an attacking scrum near the Scotland 22. The fact is, no-one will know what would have happened if the right call was made! But it's irelevant anyway, the result is what it is, and take it from a Kiwi who struggled with our 2007 loss for some time, no matter how much you feel aggrieved, and no matter how much you want to blame someone or something, the result aint gonna change, so at some point you gotta find a way to come to terms with it.

Moving forward for Scotland, I think you guys have a lot to feel good about. I noticed your team was on the real improve last time NZ played you up North and I think if you can continue on the path you are on, the results will come!

Well we can't really get into unknowns. With all the mistakes Australia was making, maybe the ball would have been intercepted and another try to Scotland. What we do know is the incorrect call led directly to Australia gaining an extra 3pts. But, yes it's done and dusted now.

Well we can't really get into unknowns. With all the mistakes Australia was making, maybe the ball would have been intercepted and another try to Scotland. What we do know is the incorrect call led directly to Australia gaining an extra 3pts. But, yes it's done and dusted now.

Exactly the point I am making. Which is why saying "Scotland surely would have won by 2pts" is not true.

But yup, the result now needs to be taken on the chin. No point crying over spilt milk huh!

Aussie could have scored a drop goal or a try from the scrum feed they should have been awarded instead of a penalty. There was still 2 minutes left and the Aussies were still scoring freely and combining well even without Pocock and Folau.

Hmm, I'm not aware of the Samoan thing? The rest is irrelevant. This is a penalty in the dying seconds of a match which had direct links to the match result, it's entirely different from penalties throughout a match where a team has the opportunity to 'hit back' and or to consider their options/change their tactics as a result.

Conrad is right, Samoa got massively dudded against Scotland and SHOULD have won that game and Japan should have been in the qtrs, but Scotland had pretty well everything go their way - even to the point where one of Samoas most devastating players had been rubbed out for 2 matches (reduced from 5) for RUNNING INTO A PLAYER. Meanwhile everyone went mad when a couple Scots got cited for a dangerous spear tackle, for which they ultimately got off Scot free! Seriously, I hate to say it, a cynic might say that being from the North seemed to count for more than the actual infringement given what happened to Tuilagi...

So complain all you like about the "merit" of the Wallabies 5 (should have been 6) try to 3 victory, but try to keep in mind that Scotland didn't exactly make it to the qtrs without a bloody bucket load going their way.

Conrad is right, Samoa got massively dudded against Scotland and SHOULD have won that game and Japan should have been in the qtrs, but Scotland had pretty well everything go their way - even to the point where one of Samoas most devastating players had been rubbed out for 2 matches (reduced from 5) for RUNNING INTO A PLAYER. Meanwhile everyone went mad when a couple Scots got cited for a dangerous spear tackle, for which they ultimately got off Scot free! Seriously, I hate to say it, a cynic might say that being from the North seemed to count for more than the actual infringement given what happened to Tuilagi...

So complain all you like about the "merit" of the Wallabies 5 (should have been 6) try to 3 victory, but try to keep in mind that Scotland didn't exactly make it to the qtrs without a bloody bucket load going their way.

Out of interest what is the deal with this supposed 6th try? We are talking about the Genia knock on right? It looked to me to be a clear knock-on. Was it not?

Out of interest what is the deal with this supposed 6th try? We are talking about the Genia knock on right? It looked to me to be a clear knock-on. Was it not?
I looked it a couple of times and thought it was never totally clear whether it went forward or back, and reckon it was a bit of a rough call. Either way, even if it was, it was another instance of Australia crossing Scotland's line and showing up their defence.

- - - Updated - - -

There are no unknown here.
Australia was given an advantage they shouldn't have received and they capitalized on that.

Those are facts, not unknowns.
Very much my thoughts on several of the Scottish scrum penalties where they were clearly collapsing on Sio's side.

Yesterday I genuinely felt sorry for Scotland and their fans. Tough to lose a game so close to the end, but after what has transpired I no longer feel any sympathy. I've read some really nasty comments amongst the usual "Scotland was robbed" stuff, stuff about us cheating, the ref cheating and how this is typical of us because we come from "thieves". It's now becoming an everyone hates Australia thing again.

I really hope we win the world cup now, just to stick it up the haters, and their not only from Scotland either.

''Interesting that you are so sure Australia, who had already scored 5 tries, would have been unable to make anything out of an attacking scrum near the Scotland 22. The fact is, no-one will know what would have happened if the right call was made!''

How meany of those 5 tries had been made from the Australian scrum? the scrum belonged to Scotland on the night the Australian scrum would likely have collapsed and been awarded straight back to Scotland

I would say that the 5 tries should only have been 4 in the first place , but for another poor ref decision THAT YELLOW CARD allowed a gap for Australia to score through.
so you could argue for 8-10 points(cant remember if it was successfully converted) to come off the Australian score, Scotland tactics worked, they were the better team on the night and all things being equal - deserve a place in the semi .

Yesterday I genuinely felt sorry for Scotland and their fans. Tough to lose a game so close to the end, but after what has transpired I no longer feel any sympathy. I've read some really nasty comments amongst the usual "Scotland was robbed" stuff, stuff about us cheating, the ref cheating and how this is typical of us because we come from "thieves". It's now becoming an everyone hates Australia thing again.

I really hope we win the world cup now, just to stick it up the haters, and their not only from Scotland either.

Yeah, it's been pretty ridiculous really... people carrying on about "deserved victors" etc without even looking at all the stuff that favoured Scotland, who arguably shouldn't have made the final 8 and wouldn't have without the assistance from WR in rubbing Tuilagi out.

Joubert's saving grace was that this happened at a rugby game, had this kind of **** been pulled at a Scottish Football game, well.. He would have been sprinting a little harder down the tunnel..

Very much my thoughts on several of the Scottish scrum penalties where they were clearly collapsing on Sio's side.
The difference is that your thoughts are not facts, they are opinions.
About the penalty in question the WR came out and said it was the wrong call. That's as close as a fact as you can get.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/115761

Lol @ this forum, Aussie should be out off the cup, bunch of lucky sods, Joubert tried a similar thing in last years RC when he penalized McCaw for "not rolling away" when he was a mile out off the ruck and rolling away. He's gone off the boil, Owens will get the final, no doubt and rightly so.

The difference is that your thoughts are not facts, they are opinions.
About the penalty in question the WR came out and said it was the wrong call. That's as close as a fact as you can get.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/115761

It was one SLIGHTLY wrong call in a game of 80 minutes in which Australia crossed Scotland's try line 6 times for 5 tries, whilst Scotland only created one genuine chance themselves. Sure, a bit of rough luck at the end, but as I keep saying, no team has had as much luck (and arguably interference and assistance on their behalf from WR) go their way at this WC.

Latest posts