• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: Wales vs. Scotland (13/02/2016)

That old chesnut. I shouldn't be surprised.
So am I to assume then that Welsh or English fans wouldn't complain about losing out on a world cup semi-final* because of an incorrect referring decison? Or neither set of fans would complain about a try being given against them which was offside even when the video referee has viewed it time and time again and still got the decision wrong?

Scotland don't have the strength in depth of Wales for example. Whilst we are strong in certain positions, in others we are lacking, and a few injuries here and there and we struggle. You only have to look at the difference in what was availble from the bench between the two teams at the weekend. So as if going to Cardiff to play wasn't difficult enough I don't think it's beyond reasonable to hope that the officials would get their job right so we could at least play against Wales on as even a playing field as possible.

And it's nothing about whining or looking for sympathy. I don't want anyone's sympathy. And I really don't take to the inference that should the Scots complain then they are simply being 'upity' and should know their place. When Scotland are fighting the odds anyway against an arguibly stronger team away from home I don't think it's unreasonable to complain when major decisions are wrong and go against us and have such a major influence on the game.

*I appreciate I'm dragging up old news mentioning that game against Australia and Scotland made numerous mistakes in that game which put them in the position they found themselves, but regardless it was still a wrong referreing decision which cost them that game. Last said on that particular topic.

LOL Yawn! I could answer this in minute micro detail but its half hour of my life I will never get back.

Reading is one thing....understanding and having uniform interpretation is totally another..........

What's to be interpreted, for example with:

(a)
The scrum half must stand one metre from the mark on the middle line so that player's head does not touch the scrum or go beyond the nearest front row player.
Sanction: Free Kick
(b)
The scrum half must hold the ball with both hands, with its major axis parallel to the ground and to the touchline over the middle line between the front rows, mid-way between knee and ankle.
(c)
The scrum half must throw in the ball at a quick speed. The ball must be released from the scrum half's hands from outside the tunnel.
(d)
The scrum half must throw in the ball straight along the middle line, so that it first touches the ground immediately beyond the width of the nearer prop's shoulders.
(e)
The scrum half must throw in the ball with a single forward movement. This means that there must be no backward movement with the ball. The scrum half must not pretend to throw the ball.

How is it possible to 'interpret' that? It's pretty precise. Most of the laws are similar. Straight down the middle is straight down the middle. Obey the Laws and we don't have any problem with interpretation. A couple of years back, a ref friend of mine was asked to follow the following guidelines: First squint feed, free kick. Second, penalty. Third, yellow card. It worked wonderfully well. Deliberate repeated infringement is punishable by a yellow. I've posted a YouTube video. The first scrum takes about 25 seconds from the whistle to the ball being out. The ref makes a mark and backs off 5 metres. Forwards know how to scrummage and don't need lessons from people who've never been in one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOg7aR5sHts

- - - Updated - - -

LOL Yawn! I could answer this in minute micro detail but its half hour of my life I will never get back.

Copout?

Actually re-watched the game last night, Gareth Davies try decision was poor, and its all down to Clancy / TMO focusing on the knock on and forgetting to check the offside from the kick.

However, as is the nature of rugby, fair few dodgy looking decisions went Scotlands way too, so not like Wales won because of the referee.

Moving on anyway.

Anyone else really notice Scott Baldwin do anything all game? Seemed like he was a bit anonymous and actually gave away a few penalties through poor play. In particular his placement of the ball when he gets tackled gives way too much time for the opposition to get over the ball and jackal. Really stood out when a winded Biggar managed to perfectly get the ball back to the scrum half, then Baldwin immediately takes it in and gives away a penalty.

Looking to next week, hearing we have a fair few injury concerns... Jon Davies and Charteris in particular. Cory Allen got stretchered off today too, so we're looking thin in the centres if Davies is ruled out. Only other centre in the squad is Tyler Morgan, who I swear hasn't played in ages. Would have to be North 13, and and plug the back 3 between Williams, James, Anscombe and Cuthbert.

Really hoping North isn't shifted, as he's starting to look back to his old self out wide.

The way Gatland picks his side is very predictable and with Tom James being sent back to the blues. I think Liam may be shifted out to the wing and Anscombe brought in at 15. Hopefully not.

Latest posts