• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: Wales vs. France (26/02/2016)

Not sure on the whole Priestland - Anscombe selection either.

Seems strange that the WRU have insisted that Anscombe play 10 for the Blues, despite the fact that (at the moment anyway) he's gonna be on the bench to cover 15 with Priestland covering 10. Surely it would have made sense for the Gatland / WRU to get the Blues to play him at 15 against the Leinster this weekend, if they're gonna insist to slot a potentially unfit Priestland into the 23.

I'd like to see Anscombe get a shot at 10 at some point, especially as a different option to Biggar off the bench in a game like this one.

Totally agree.

Theres no game changer there. Anscombe wont light the game up from 15 where he'll probably shift Liam to the wing.. just think we'd be better off with Amos or James there.

Totally agree.

Theres no game changer there. Anscombe wont light the game up from 15 where he'll probably shift Liam to the wing.. just think we'd be better off with Amos or James there.

The big issue for me is that even if we did manage to play very well, France dont turn up and we get a decent gap on the scoreboard, Gatland can learn absolutely nothing from the bench. Anscombe is a decent enough 10 but thats about it, he is never going to light up the field. He is less effective at 15. Gatland, to my mind, is too cautious by far and he is loathe to give flair players a chance. Young players, yes he has transformed our national side by bringing in young players but there has rarely been a time that Gatland has really rated flair.

In his world cup cameo, Matthew Morgan lit up the field but it was the short turnaround that Wales struggled with against Fiji. Morgan looked sublime because you cannot coach a defensive line to deal with absolute flair and pace. Morgan has the pace, flair, nous and all-round game to be a massive player on the world stage but he cannot get in ahead of Priestland (who quit) and Anscombe? Thats ridiculous.

Sam Davies too, junior world player of the year who has continued to develop and taken the same form into the mens game is a gem. He is actually close to being a better 10 than Biggar already because he can kick well and really fires his back line - in a way that Biggar doesnt even do at regional level.

Biggar is a cracking player but i rate Davies more highly because of the X factor. If the next World Cup is going to see a step change from Wales (upwards) we need either Morgan or Davies or both as regular members of the side. We do not look comfortable attacking and until Gatland actually accepts that genuine flair is a gift not to be squandered, we will plough on regardless. This was a perfect 6 nations to get Morgan and Davies invloved at some stage. Instead we even see Wales Onlines world famous hack calling for James Hook.

IF we manage to play well, IF France dont turn up, IF we manage a decent score gap, seems like an awful lot of IFS to me......IF France turn up, IF France win, IF France score loads of points, Gatlands job could be very IFFY !!!!!!!!

IF we manage to play well, IF France dont turn up, IF we manage a decent score gap, seems like an awful lot of IFS to me......IF France turn up, IF France win, IF France score loads of points, Gatlands job could be very IFFY !!!!!!!!

Haha no-ones saying that any of it's gonna happen. All Slamdunk was saying that we are not gonna learn anything about our strength in depth with Priestland covering 10 and Anscombe covering 15, no matter what happens in this game.

Pretty much everyone agrees that this is gonna be a hard game which could go either way, despite Wales probably being favourites. We simply don't know what to expect from France, and even though they have not set the world on fire in their first two games, they've still won - and an unbeaten French side is always very dangerous.

Anyway. Gatland has come out and said James needs to "sharpen up":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35650770

So essentially confirming that he's unhappy James didn't finish off that break vs Scotland.

Still seems strange that you'd drop James for that, and go for Cuthbert instead. Cuthbert hasn't shown much of his trademark finishing for a very long time, only had 4 tries in 11 games for the Blues this season (James for comparison has had 8 in 12 games).

Either way, I hope he does well, and I'd love to see him earn his redemption and get over the try line on Friday. Just on paper it's an odd choice.

The big issue for me is that even if we did manage to play very well, France dont turn up and we get a decent gap on the scoreboard, Gatland can learn absolutely nothing from the bench. Anscombe is a decent enough 10 but thats about it, he is never going to light up the field. He is less effective at 15. Gatland, to my mind, is too cautious by far and he is loathe to give flair players a chance. Young players, yes he has transformed our national side by bringing in young players but there has rarely been a time that Gatland has really rated flair.

In his world cup cameo, Matthew Morgan lit up the field but it was the short turnaround that Wales struggled with against Fiji. Morgan looked sublime because you cannot coach a defensive line to deal with absolute flair and pace. Morgan has the pace, flair, nous and all-round game to be a massive player on the world stage but he cannot get in ahead of Priestland (who quit) and Anscombe? Thats ridiculous.

Sam Davies too, junior world player of the year who has continued to develop and taken the same form into the mens game is a gem. He is actually close to being a better 10 than Biggar already because he can kick well and really fires his back line - in a way that Biggar doesnt even do at regional level.

Biggar is a cracking player but i rate Davies more highly because of the X factor. If the next World Cup is going to see a step change from Wales (upwards) we need either Morgan or Davies or both as regular members of the side. We do not look comfortable attacking and until Gatland actually accepts that genuine flair is a gift not to be squandered, we will plough on regardless. This was a perfect 6 nations to get Morgan and Davies invloved at some stage. Instead we even see Wales Onlines world famous hack calling for James Hook.

Gatland is a set piece stick to the game plan coach. He doesn't like taking risks etc. Hense why we never got the best out of Hook!

I like Sam Davies alot but he needs to go elsewhere maybe to get more games continuously plus he can play 15 which Gats likes with versality.

I'd love to see Owen Williams thrown into the mix but i cant see it happening, plus he just seems to get injured at the wrong time.

Matthew Morgan would be a great game changing option, his pace of would scare people and he'd tie in alot of defenders, plus he can pass the gainline by going around people not through them.

Fact is, we've been saying this for years, nothings gonna change because Gatland sticks to his plan. We apparently look for mismatchs in midfield after phrase 3/4. But how often do we actually see this happen. Most of our tries come from option error and a break in, not much comes from 'bullying' teams. Do we need to mention the 15 v 13 against the Aussies at the World Cup. Wasn't acceptable not to score then. We talk about beind world beaters but any other 'big' team would of took advantage of this.

We simply don't know what to expect from France, and even though they have not set the world on fire in their first two games, they've still won - and an unbeaten French side is always very dangerous.

Pretty much everyone knows what to expect these days. You must be the only one. They've been quite predictable in fact for a good few years. Which isn't to say playing predictably won't get a win. If they at least executed the basics right and cut down on the high number of unforced errors from first two games, they might stand a chance.

But I can't see that happening for a number of a reasons. They will still leave enough points for Wales to win comfortably.

Have France still not named their team ?!? What are they doing working out who's eligible or something ?!

La composition du XV de France face au pays de Galles: Médard ; Vakatawa, Mermoz, Danty, Camara ; (o) Plisson, (m) Machenaud ; Burban, Chouly, Lauret ; Flanquart, Jedrasiak ; Slimani, Guirado (cap), Poirot. Remplaçants: Chat, Pelo, Atonio, Maestri, Goujon, Bézy, Trinh-Duc, Fickou.

So here's the French team - taken from the French website Rugbyrama.
A new cap on the wing, Camara; no Maestri in the starting XV; I'm pleased to see Burban in the team but disappointed that the other Camara (back row) is not even in the squad;
Trinh-Duc on the bench.
If they get a good start and have a half time lead (a big IF!) then I think we'll win.
Allez les Bleus!!

La composition du XV de France face au pays de Galles: Médard ; Vakatawa, Mermoz, Danty, Camara ; (o) Plisson, (m) Machenaud ; Burban, Chouly, Lauret ; Flanquart, Jedrasiak ; Slimani, Guirado (cap), Poirot. Remplaçants: Chat, Pelo, Atonio, Maestri, Goujon, Bézy, Trinh-Duc, Fickou.

Good call on Maestri. I remember saying he was going to lose out to Jedrasiak. Competition is catching up with him. And he'd have been a target for ref and opposition after his citing. Suprised to see Yacouba Camara out.
Burban in finally after 4 yrs wasted. Same for Machenaud and FTD. What a waste of 4 yrs for these kids.

That backrow needs a big carrying 8 like Picamoles or Goujon. Won't get that with Chouly.

Chouly is a transition player since he's the only 30 yo among the kids. They will pick him because there's nobody else around atm with enough caps and with Pica injured + previous selector didn't develop anyone else at 8. Chouly won't last 4 yrs under Noves. He'll get pushed out eventually by Picamoles, Camara and co.

Noves does not have a group of players who are fresh enough to play the high tempo rugby he can coach, not after a round of T14 last weekend and a 5 day recovery. Physical freshness and time with players who are on a completey different agenda than his. 2 key ingredients that are going to elude him.

Wales will prob target new wing and run their tanks into Plisson's channel. If they don't butcher opps like Ireland did they should have a lead built by HT. Wales by 20-25pts

Last edited:
Good call on Maestri. I remember saying he was going to lose out to Jedrasiak. Competition is catching up with him. And he'd have been a target for ref and opposition after his citing. Suprised to see Yacouba Camara out.
Burban in finally after 4 yrs wasted. Same for Machenaud and FTD. What a waste of 4 yrs for these kids.

That backrow needs a big carrying 8 like Picamoles or Goujon. Won't get that with Chouly.

Chouly is a transition player since he's the only 30 yo among the kids. They will pick him because there's nobody else around atm with enough caps and with Pica injured + previous selector didn't develop anyone else at 8. Chouly won't last 4 yrs under Noves. He'll get pushed out eventually by Picamoles, Camara and co.

Noves does not have a group of players who are fresh enough to play the high tempo rugby he can coach, not after a round of T14 last weekend and a 5 day recovery. Physical freshness and time with players who are on a completey different agenda than his. 2 key ingredients that are going to elude him.

Wales will prob target new wing and run their tanks into Plisson's channel. If they don't butcher opps like Ireland did they should have a lead built by HT. Wales by 20-25pts

20-25 points ?!? Wow

Spot on all the way, even though 20-25 points is harsh, I'd say Wales by 10. 5 changes, another newcomer, 5 days after a Top 14 weekend with over 3/4 of the squad having played with their club, including captain Guirado who started, we won't look too good and Wales will attack our weak points (Plisson, Camara, the rucks), it'll be hard to scrap away with another close win.

Guy NOVES CHOICE FOR THE GAME V WALES TOMORROW EVENING ROOF CLOSED. interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

La composition du XV de France face au pays de Galles:

Médard ; Vakatawa, Mermoz, Danty, Camara ; (o) Plisson, (m) Machenaud ; Burban, Chouly, Lauret ; Flanquart, Jedrasiak ; Slimani, Guirado (cap), Poirot.
Remplaçants: Chat, Pelo, Atonio, Maestri, Goujon, Bézy, Trinh-Duc, Fickou.

sorry did not see already posted !!!!!!

Not so sure that the guys who played last weekend is that big a problem, these guys are mostly young super fit and can play 2 games in 6 days if they are not carrying injuries , this does not often happen so to me the problem is not huge. Contain the Welsh attack is probably a bigger problem with both centres North and Cuthbert chomping at the teeth. I personnally think they have a fighting chance, all depends on the kind of ball they get and how they use it, the bench looks good, not sure if FTD is qiute ready to step up to the mark but he will certainly give it his best shot, he will not have many chances left if he blows this one.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how good the new winger Camara is? Can't say I've paid much attention to him.

very good strong runner fast should be ok on the wing plays for Stade Francaise little experience but then neither has most of the team selected by Guy. Couple of seasons ago he got lazy and the rugby director at the time, Pool Jones suspended him and got him a job for 6 months working in the kitchens of a Paris hotel then abroad in Africa somewhere if i remember rightly. It changed him completely having the experience of doing a normal job and appreciating the privileges he has playing as a full time pro, should happen more with the younger players who do not realise just how lucky they are sometimes.

i'll be there in the stadium tomorrow, cant wait. i think just like the other games it will be close for the first sixty minutes, but (hopefully) wales will pull away for the final 20, wales by 10-15 for me

Pretty much everyone knows what to expect these days. You must be the only one. They've been quite predictable in fact for a good few years. Which isn't to say playing predictably won't get a win. If they at least executed the basics right and cut down on the high number of unforced errors from first two games, they might stand a chance.

But I can't see that happening for a number of a reasons. They will still leave enough points for Wales to win comfortably.

I dunno, has at times seemed like France don't actually have much of a structured game plan. It's still worked, so there's a bit of unpredictability about it all. Still remains to be seen if that's positive or negative I guess!

The French on here don't seem confident at all for tomorrow!

Latest posts