• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs. Wales (12/03/2016)

England to win. Wales game plan has no depth or dimension to it. Even Gatland said that the plan is to try and bludgeon their way through Ford if possible and then no doubt rely on biggar to kick points. Should plan A fail then Wales will run out of ideas and continue to bang their heads against the brick wall as their players begin to fall down around each other like so many crippled dominos.

England know what is coming and should be prepared for it. We need to continue with a strong set piece, avoid running head long into Roberts ( a la Ireland) and not give away too many pens. Put them to bed and trot off to gay Paris to put the French to the sword. Simple

Here's a question we all know Ford's defence is roobish no arguments here,

However I keep hearing people are going to smash through down his channel but that rarely happens. I mean I don't remember a time he was directly culpable ala Chris Ashton for a try. Not saying there isn't ground to made there but if it's all your going to do I think it's not going to work. Remember England have conceded one try this tournament so far and at the time they were down to 14 men.

Forwards: Kieran Brookes, Dan Cole, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Jack Clifford, Jamie George, Dylan Hartley, James Haskell, Maro Itoje, George Kruis, Joe Launchbury, Joe Marler, Chris Robshaw, Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola

Backs: Mike Brown, Danny Care, Elliot Daly, Owen Farrell, George Ford, Jonathan Joseph, Jack Nowell, Manu Tuilagi, Anthony Watson, Ben Youngs

Eddie Jones to name his starting XV on Thursday morning.

Last edited:
For the first time ever, I actually feel Alex Goode is a little unlucky. Never thought I'd say that!

factor is Wales drew with Ireland whilst we comfortably beat them.

I for one wouldn't say it was "comfortable" against Ireland.

I disagree this won't be a factor it doesn't matter , your only as good as your last game. We comfortably beat France but that's not to say Framce won't beat England if Wales lose.

Anyway should be a entertaining game , I'm looking for Wales to have a advantage in the set piece but with Chatteris not staring that seriously dents the line out, just looks like we are set up to invite the pressure and tackle our hearts out, maybe try and do some damage with some turnover ball and a kick chase game

Does anyone apart from Eddie Jones think George Ford is playing well?

No, I don't.

In attack he was missing at times, and seemed to swing between good and poor when actively involved.

In defence, I have no idea as I have been too scared to watch and close my eyes.

I think there are two problems:

1. Ford is very much a confidence player, and Eddie seems to know this and appears to be really encouraging him, so hopefully this will end well for Ford.

2. Ford's game requires a scrum half that quickly recycles breakdown ball, with sharp and accurate passes to the fly half hands (see the form difference of Ford playing with Matawalu compared to Cook for Bath). Ben Youngs' playing style and strengths would then seem to be counter intuitive to Ford, and may explain why Eddie left Ford on in previous games and subbed Farrell, as Care playing with tempo should suit Ford more.

But, anyway, this is all guess work and I/we cannot read Eddies mind, so I will just watch and hope for a win against Wales on Saturday, and continue to close my eyes whenever Ford is lining up for defence work.

No, I don't.

In attack he was missing at times, and seemed to swing between good and poor when actively involved.

In defence, I have no idea as I have been too scared to watch and close my eyes.

I think there are two problems:

1. Ford is very much a confidence player, and Eddie seems to know this and appears to be really encouraging him, so hopefully this will end well for Ford.

2. Ford's game requires a scrum half that quickly recycles breakdown ball, with sharp and accurate passes to the fly half hands (see the form difference of Ford playing with Matawalu compared to Cook for Bath). Ben Youngs' playing style and strengths would then seem to be counter intuitive to Ford, and may explain why Eddie left Ford on in previous games and subbed Farrell, as Care playing with tempo should suit Ford more.

But, anyway, this is all guess work and I/we cannot read Eddies mind, so I will just watch and hope for a win against Wales on Saturday, and continue to close my eyes whenever Ford is lining up for defence work.

Thing is Youngs and Ford really seemed to click last year in the 6N and I think it would have been fair to say they were the best halfback pairing in that tournament. Also Ford has had some decent moments but I agree, he is off form. I'm reluctant to drop him because if he does get his form back, he will wreck havoc with Wales in a way Farrell won't. Having options like Tuilagi now available (and by extension more space for the 13) could really benefit Ford.

Speaking of which, Wales have made a big thing about stopping Vunipola but if we have Tuilagi as well, it's going to be that much harder. Lydiate can only chop tackle 1 at a time and can you imagine if those 2 were options either side of Ford or even running next to each other with someone like Joseph ready for a pop pass or offload? Roberts has a habit of rushing out the line which means a distributor 12 may not be helpful if Roberts nullifies that, a physical 12 who could stand up to him may work better.

Ultimately England need to do their homework, we know the Welsh will hit our breakdowns hard, we know Lydiate will try to chop with Warburton then going in, we know Roberts will rush out in defence to prevent us going wide and we know Biggar will try to do up and unders or kick chases for the big wingers. I'd be suprised if we saw anything new from Wales and as long as we keep the penalty count down and do not let them walk through our rucks, I think we could make it very hard for Wales.

England should win if they choose to play positive rugby. I don't mean running it from their tryline, but sensible, positive rugby i.e not kicking away decent possession, not switching to an ultra conservative game plan trying to protect a 6 point lead with 20 minutes still to play. Not throwing it wide just for the sake of it.

Re Ford & Farrell, they are not the answer at 10 and 12 or either of them at 10 really. From what I've seen, which isn't a hell of a lot to be honest, they do the basics well, but when it comes to attack they aren't even close to Cipriani when it comes to ability and potency. Neither of them could score the try he did against the Sharks. I'd still opt for either of them over Cipriani as he's inconsistent, but long term, England need to look elsewhere.

England should win if they choose to play positive rugby. I don't mean running it from their tryline, but sensible, positive rugby i.e not kicking away decent possession, not switching to an ultra conservative game plan trying to protect a 6 point lead with 20 minutes still to play. Not throwing it wide just for the sake of it.

Re Ford & Farrell, they are not the answer at 10 and 12 or either of them at 10 really. From what I've seen, which isn't a hell of a lot to be honest, they do the basics well, but when it comes to attack they aren't even close to Cipriani when it comes to ability and potency. Neither of them could score the try he did against the Sharks. I'd still opt for either of them over Cipriani as he's inconsistent, but long term, England need to look elsewhere.

All I have to say is Henry Slade

I am sure I read somewhere above that someone thought this was going to be an "entertaining game"?

I really hope that for once we do get entertainment but would not put too much money on this being the one to provide it.....!!

We have a Welsh side that relies on the Roberts juggernaut as their preferred attack option supported by Biggar's kicking as plan B.

Then we have England who seem to be looking to play in similar fashion but do try a plan C occasionally and run it but make so many mistakes, miss many more sensible options and give away too many penalties!

Result - bish bash bosh interspersed with occasional flashes of running ending in reset scrums and lengthy fidgeting goal kicks.......not to mention the inevitable outcry against the biased/incompetent/corrupt referee (who is the poor fool this week?)!!!

Ah the joys of The 6 Nations........ can't wait!!!

Forward Summer

1) Marler
2) George
3) Brookes
4) Kruis
5) Launchbury
6) Itoje
7) Clifford
8) Vunipola

16) Thacker
17) Vunipola
18) Cole
19) Lawes
20) Hughes

= weeping Wallabies!

Aye, I'm sure the Aussie's will be absolutely terrified of 4ft2 6 stone Harry Thacker :lol: :lol:

Aye, I'm sure the Aussie's will be absolutely terrified of 4ft2 6 stone Harry Thacker :lol: :lol:

They have seen how much Hobbits can do once there mind has been set to it.

Thacker whilst a brilliant and talented player will never be a international 2, needs to move positions.

Could play there for say the U23 tour if it happens.

Forward Summer

1) Marler
2) George
3) Brookes
4) Kruis
5) Launchbury
6) Itoje
7) Clifford
8) Vunipola

16) Thacker
17) Vunipola
18) Cole
19) Lawes
20) Hughes

= weeping Wallabies!

Hughes doesn't qualify till 2 days after the last test against Australia

Ah that would leave us weeping then for fielding an illegible player & put us in a lot of hot water with the IRB.

Wonder what that 'hot water' would look like - deducted ranking points maybe?

Latest posts