• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs. Wales (12/03/2016)

I must admit that as a Welshman this match used to be very important to me. But after knocking England out of their own home World Cup in the pool stages I just feel that this itch has been scratched forever. There's nothing England could ever do to get us back for that. The rivalry is over, and this is just another match now without a grudge behind it, like playing Italy.

I'd like to say that this poster's arrogance is in no way representative of the general rugby-watching population of Wales. Those of us with our feet still on the ground know we won a game by the slimmest of margins because England were stupid and silly in the dying minutes.

Also, there is in fact something England could do to get back at us. Beat us on Saturday and win the Grand Slam. A Grand Slam kinda sounds better than a loss to South Africa in the quarter finals of a World Cup methinks.

Great win yesterday boys ...............................................................................................................................Oh damn I thought it was next Sunday.

- - - Updated - - -

To follow up on a few themes running on here already.

The Welsh bench isn't bad but I agree our bench could be the difference again and it will be as stronger as I've seen it in recent memory with the return of Brookes & Tuilagi.

Our discipline clearly has to be better but as long as we give them away in the right areas of the pitch & at the right time we should be fine. Seem to remember we were giving them away like candy at the end of the Irish match as we were two scores clear and more happy to infringe.

Re: Goode - he had another excellent game v Northampton & I know it's controversial, on this forum particularly, but I'd start him at fullback. I genuinely think if he gets a run of games he can really add a lot to our attacking game. I feel he reads the game, runs intelligent lines & brings in players very well. Brown has played ok but certainly dropped off his outstanding form up of the last few years.

Furthermore when Manu inevitably comes back into the side at 12 we could really use Goode's particular skill set.

Man for man we are better than you, but we were last 6 Nations and you won, come the WC with our injuries man for man you were better but we won, so for me it should be a one score difference to us as we have the better side by which I mean that man for man if you were to pick a combined side it would be 10 Wales players and 5 England players or there abouts, however as last year showed it's not an easy match to predict.

I'd like to say that this poster's arrogance is in no way representative of the general rugby-watching population of Wales. Those of us with our feet still on the ground know we won a game by the slimmest of margins because England were stupid and silly in the dying minutes.

Also, there is in fact something England could do to get back at us. Beat us on Saturday and win the Grand Slam. A Grand Slam kinda sounds better than a loss to South Africa in the quarter finals of a World Cup methinks.

A few minutes later.

Great win yesterday boys ...............................................................................................................................Oh damn I thought it was next Sunday.

:p

That's a very competitive Welsh 23. Bench looks better too.

I still don't see how Cuthbert gets anywhere near your squad let alone starting but there we go. Tom James is a much better all round winger for me.

I understand Davies keeps his place to bulk up the pack to counter England's scrum but I'm very happy that Charteris isn't starting. He is excellent at stealing/disrupting lineout & making himself a large nuisance when we will be trying to setup the maul.

We only play Cuthbert to give you guys a chance, playing him is like sticking another 2 stone on the Grand National top weight, I can only guess the IRB have made Gats pick him to even things up.

Please guys lets keep this civil we all know England are jealous of Wales success in the 6nations circa 2005 and Wales are jealous of England's WC but that's rivalry . Oh on the sheep reference we shag em you eat em if it not from NZ or Argentina. Welsh lambs are the sweetest in the world don't knock it if you ain't tried it

Sorry Manx sheep are FAR better to eat if not "enjoy"!!

valley commando "come the WC with our injuries", what injuries?

The only differences between the WC side that England lost to, and the one that plays on Saturday is

Rob Evans at Loosehead instead of Jenkins
J. Davies at 13 instead of Scot Williams
Cuthbert at Wing instead of Amos

So are you saying that you still have these injuries?

valley commando "come the WC with our injuries", what injuries?

The only differences between the WC side that England lost to, and the one that plays on Saturday is

Rob Evans at Loosehead instead of Jenkins
J. Davies at 13 instead of Scot Williams
Cuthbert at Wing instead of Amos

So are you saying that you still have these injuries?

Missing out Francis starting ahead of a massively short of match fitness Samson Lee.

The Samson Lee we have now is far superior to either himself or Francis from that RWC game.

What's biggest about the team we have playing on Saturday when compared to that WC team is the strength in depth across the 23. The injuries before and during that game stretched us to the brink, yet we still managed to get the win. Most notable is having Webb back, who pre-injury was one of the best scrum halves around, and he's looking like he can pick up where he left off from what I've seen so far. Plus at least some extra versatility in Asncombe/Priestland (don't get that as much from Cuthbert as your 23) - though those two are probably the weakest part of the squad.

Team has had time to play together a bit more than that makeshift RWC team too, always a big help.

Last edited:

You laugh, however taking the bias out of it most knowledgeable southern hemisphere ex players and pundits would agree with me, man for man currently Wales are better, what happens on the day can well be a different story.

- - - Updated - - -

Missing out Francis starting ahead of a massively short of match fitness Samson Lee.

The Samson Lee we have now is far superior to either himself or Francis from that RWC game.

What's biggest about the team we have playing on Saturday when compared to that WC team is the strength in depth across the 23. The injuries before and during that game stretched us to the brink, yet we still managed to get the win. Most notable is having Webb back, who pre-injury was one of the best scrum halves around, and he's looking like he can pick up where he left off from what I've seen so far. Plus at least some extra versatility in Asncombe/Priestland (don't get that as much from Cuthbert as your 23) - though those two are probably the weakest part of the squad.

Team has had time to play together a bit more than that makeshift RWC team too, always a big help.

Yes you are right.

Just realized we only had one proper loosehead in the team too! Jarvis is a dodgy international tighthead at the best of times, never had a hope of holding the loosehead side!

Sorry mate I can't help it, even when we were crap in the 90's the nearer the Wales England game gets the more I feel like I was on Christmas Eve as a boy, too exited to sleep.

It wasn't just the 90's. :)

We are rebuilding and although we have more players to call on, we also still have a big injury situation.

We have made at least 8 changes to our starting XV since we lost to you in the RWC, so obviously any side that has a settled formation will look better on paper. You will find us changed in other ways apart from personnel so it will be a hard fought contest.

Just hope the ref's on his game.

You laugh, however taking the bias out of it most knowledgeable southern hemisphere ex players and pundits would agree with me, man for man currently Wales are better

"would" not "do".

I'd say they would say Wales are worse than Georgia and Romania and should be dropped from the Six Nations.

Most of your changes are for the better, but the biggest change is not in personnel its in attitude and thats down to having a proper coach.
As the ref goes lets wait and see.

"would" not "do".

I'd say they would say Wales are worse than Georgia and Romania and should be dropped from the Six Nations.

Sounds about right. Vive la European Rugby Cup!

Well Joubert didn't have the best time at Twickenham last time he was there...

It's not arrogance at all - we were lucky to win that match, and we could well get tonked on Saturday. I'm just saying that, as a Welsh fan, I no longer care about beating England as much as I did. Knocking them out of their own world cup was a moment of catharthis that exorcised any ill will I held towards the English rugby team, because I knew that no single victory against them could ever be as sweet again. Not just because it was a home World Cup for them, but because of the sheer luck of the win, our injuries, that final moment of ineptitude, and the fact that they still had to linger on like an old fart in their own competition for two more weeks before being put out of their misery. My prayers were answered - my cup ranneth over - and I knew that whatever happened in subsequent meetings between the two sides the sheer joy, and hilarity, of that win could never be taken away from us. England could win a Grand Slam at the next four Six Nations, but that win against them will forever stand like a totem. I no longer pray to God that we beat the English, because I know that He has already given us more than we could ever have wished for. Wanting more would just be greedy.

The rivarly between Wales and England is rather ridiculous and childish, but it's very difficult as a supporter not to get drawn into it. I'm glad to be released from it and can hopefully now concentrate on more important things like finally beating those damn Australians!

Last edited:
I must admit that as a Welshman this match used to be very important to me. But after knocking England out of their own home World Cup in the pool stages I just feel that this itch has been scratched forever. There's nothing England could ever do to get us back for that. The rivalry is over, and this is just another match now without a grudge behind it, like playing Italy.

As an England supporter I felt the same way about Wales after 1991...... Western Samoa ????????

It's not arrogance at all - we were lucky to win that match, and we could well get tonked on Saturday. I'm just saying that, as a Welsh fan, I no longer care about beating England as much as I did. Knocking them out of their own world cup was a moment of catharthis that exorcised any ill will I held towards the English rugby team, because I knew that no single victory against them could ever be as sweet again. Not just because it was a home World Cup for them, but because of the sheer luck of the win, our injuries, that final moment of ineptitude, and the fact that they still had to linger on like an old fart in their own competition for two more weeks before being put out of their misery. My prayers were answered - my cup ranneth over - and I knew that whatever happened in subsequent meetings between the two sides the sheer joy, and hilarity, of that win could never be taken away from us. England could win a Grand Slam at the next four Six Nations, but that win against them will forever stand like a totem. I no longer pray to God that we beat the English, because I know that He has already given us more than we could ever have wished for. Wanting more would just be greedy.

The rivarly between Wales and England is rather ridiculous and childish, but it's very difficult as a supporter not to get drawn into it. I'm glad to be released from it and can hopefully now concentrate on more important things like finally beating those damn Australians!

Nope you are just an idiot .....

And somehow a university lecturer ..... I knew the education system had gone down a few notches but Christ !

Ah the usual "Wales are better in every position and we have world class players all over the place and half our squad could walk into the all blacks blah blah baah baah".

Yes Wales are a good team but your players really aren't THAT good. You've been saying you are man for man better than just about every NH side for half a decade now yet your last 2 tournaments you've finished 3rd. That would imply **** poor coaching but considering Gatland gets WAY more out of the players than the Welsh clubs do, it would imply that they simply aren't as good as you think.

Latest posts