• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs. Wales (12/03/2016)

I'm disappointed for George but the reality is it will likely make little difference to the game on Sunday as Hartley has been playing most of the minutes anyway.

They have seen how much Hobbits can do once there mind has been set to it.

Thacker whilst a brilliant and talented player will never be a international 2, needs to move positions.

Could play there for say the U23 tour if it happens.

Couldn't agree more. Looks like a 7 where his pace/squat frame could be an advantage - we are obsessed with tall back rowers but if you aren't tall enough to be a line out option then being short can actually be beneficial at the breakdown. See also David Ward at Quins who sometimes plays at 7 as well. Too late for him to make the transition permanently now and Quins have lots of good back row players. If someone had identified it as a possibility earlier though who knows...

Thacker's lineout throwing looks pretty good which is perhaps why they haven't moved him. Perhaps he could play at 7 and still throw in? Nothing in the laws to stop it.

Summer
9) Simpson
10) Slade
11) Roko
12) Manu
13) Daly
14) Nowell
15) Watson

= Austrlia crying.

Great back line but is Simpson going to get into the Wasps team in front of Robson at the mo? Also Slade has hardly played ten at all recently or kicked goals. Chiefs obviously see him there longer term - with Devoto and Hill covering 12, but Steenson won't go quietly. I see Slade as bench cover for now until he has played more in a fixed position. Also I would like to see Ford standing flat with those options outside of him. No England back line has had that much pace for a very long time...

...unless Hartley is injured/binned/sent off. Then.......lawks-a-mercy.

Who is now next in line? Tom Youngs is still injured isn't he? Please not Rob Webber!!!!

Tommy Taylor perhaps?

Great back line but is Simpson going to get into the Wasps team in front of Robson at the mo? Also Slade has hardly played ten at all recently or kicked goals. Chiefs obviously see him there longer term - with Devoto and Hill covering 12, but Steenson won't go quietly. I see Slade as bench cover for now until he has played more in a fixed position. Also I would like to see Ford standing flat with those options outside of him. No England back line has had that much pace for a very long time...

Daly can handle the harder kicks in that back line though.

Yes I agree about Dan Robson. I rate him highly and he has played superbly well since he got his chance. I can't see Simpson getting the shirt back this season unless Robson gets injured. I think he'd come into the England squad if either Care or Youngs picked up a knock.

Agree with your comments re: Slade and Ford too.

I think Ford has played better than a lot on here feel he has this 6 nations. His restarts have been consistently good, his kicking out of hand excellent (both to touch & up and unders), his decision making in the most part has been good & his distribution has been consistently high. The only area of doubt is his defence but it hasn't been disastrous to date.

I agree Farrell taking penalties at goal but I think Ford should be taking the kicks to touch. I think it has undermined his role as playmaker and he is a better touch finder in my opinion anyway.

The fact that he has Farrell outside him doesn't help convince the opposition that there is a credible threat on a short line which negates his attacking threat somewhat. I can only remember Farrell taking one short ball against Scotland but not sure he has taken any crash ball since?

I must admit that as a Welshman this match used to be very important to me. But after knocking England out of their own home World Cup in the pool stages I just feel that this itch has been scratched forever. There's nothing England could ever do to get us back for that. The rivalry is over, and this is just another match now without a grudge behind it, like playing Italy.

I must admit that as a Welshman this match used to be very important to me. But after knocking England out of their own home World Cup in the pool stages I just feel that this itch has been scratched forever. There's nothing England could ever do to get us back for that. The rivalry is over, and this is just another match now without a grudge behind it, like playing Italy.

Sounds exactly what someone expecting to be soundly beaten would say

I must admit pre 2003 this fixture used to mean something to me but after being champions of the world, and the number 1 ranked team I just never really cared about this game, there is nothing Wales could ever do to top that. The rivalry just never really existed since then, other than outside the inferiority complex that Welshmen have to there superior English counterparts.

Like playing Scotland.

At least Ireland have their own democracy (well the smelly part does).

Excellent, this thread has been far too civilised up til now. Bring on the sheep and arrogance references!

Except you didn't. Australia did that.

What arrogance.

I must admit pre 2003 this fixture used to mean something to me but after being champions of the world, and the number 1 ranked team I just never really cared about this game, there is nothing Wales could ever do to top that.
Well, Wales could top that, by winning the World Cup. They come around far more often than home World Cups, particularly ones where the hosting team are knocked out in the pool stages. :p

Certainly, if I supported a team like England circa 2003, Wales wouldn't be much of a rivalry either... However, England are no longer a team like England circa 2003.

At least Ireland have their own democracy (well the smelly part does).
We're all part of the EU Superstate now! :p

Well, Wales could top that, by winning the World Cup.

bust1.gif

Well, Wales could top that, by winning the World Cup. They come around far more often than home World Cups, particularly ones where the hosting team are knocked out in the pool stages. :p

Certainly, if I supported a team like England circa 2003, Wales wouldn't be much of a rivalry either... However, England are no longer a team like England circa 2003.

Yes, as hosts we got knocked out in the pool stages of the RWC. We like to be first at things. Personally I'd have preferred to win the RWC but we weren't good enough.

Yes, you're right about Wales not being much of a rival in 2003, that was the year you got the Wooden Spoon.

So you think Wales could win the World Cup in the SH,? ....and pigs might fly, (esp. if they've spoken to the sheep).

England are no longer a team like they were in the last RWC with at least 8 changes, but you taffs keep on about it.

Yes I agree about Dan Robson. I rate him highly and he has played superbly well since he got his chance. I can't see Simpson getting the shirt back this season unless Robson gets injured. I think he'd come into the England squad if either Care or Youngs picked up a knock.

Agree with your comments re: Slade and Ford too.

I think Ford has played better than a lot on here feel he has this 6 nations. His restarts have been consistently good, his kicking out of hand excellent (both to touch & up and unders), his decision making in the most part has been good & his distribution has been consistently high. The only area of doubt is his defence but it hasn't been disastrous to date.

I agree Farrell taking penalties at goal but I think Ford should be taking the kicks to touch. I think it has undermined his role as playmaker and he is a better touch finder in my opinion anyway.

The fact that he has Farrell outside him doesn't help convince the opposition that there is a credible threat on a short line which negates his attacking threat somewhat. I can only remember Farrell taking one short ball against Scotland but not sure he has taken any crash ball since?

On Ford's kicking - Bath have a very effective kicking game based on Ford putting the ball up for Roko and Banahan to chase. Ford is very good at this gameplan, but I don't think his distance or vision are good enough to be a really good tactical kicker to space. Unfortunately England don't have wingers who really challenge for the ball going forward, Ford is not great at finding grass and England do not seem to have a coherent tactical kicking plan anyway. Bottom line, England do not kick well and haven't for years.

I also agree that Ford is good kicking to touch, although he doesn't have great distance he does land pretty close to the touchline.

Yes, as hosts we got knocked out in the pool stages of the RWC. We like to be first at things. Personally I'd have preferred to win the RWC but we weren't good enough.

Yes, you're right about Wales not being much of a rival in 2003, that was the year you got the Wooden Spoon.

So you think Wales could win the World Cup in the SH,? ....and pigs might fly, (esp. if they've spoken to the sheep).

England are no longer a team like they were in the last RWC with at least 8 changes, but you taffs keep on about it.

Please guys lets keep this civil we all know England are jealous of Wales success in the 6nations circa 2005 and Wales are jealous of England's WC but that's rivalry . Oh on the sheep reference we shag em you eat em if it not from NZ or Argentina. Welsh lambs are the sweetest in the world don't knock it if you ain't tried it

Latest posts