• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: Italy vs. Ireland (11/02/2017)

dunney77

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ireland
Big improvement needed, especially from the backs

Weather looks better this week in Rome, so should be able to play running game and get the bonus point.

Both teams will be looking to up their game I'm sure, but I'd be amazed if Ireland didn't come away with the bonus point.

For Ireland. Sexton remains doubt. Tadgh Furlong 50/50 as does Peter O'Mahony but Trimble seems to be back fit.
Donnacha Ryan may be brought back in to 23 after being dripped last week

I have a suspicion that Adam Byrne will make the 23. Could be wishful thinking though.

I think too much is made of the fact that Ireland lost last week. They had already gained dominance in the scrum before Scotland scored, and the way that they worked their way into the lead on the score board shows the true class of the team. I expect them to overpower Italy, even though its in Rome, and come away with the bonus point.

Comfortable BP for Ireland. 10 points or less for the Italians against an Irish defence that doesn't give many penalties away.

No, but apparently he's been ever present at Carton House. I know Joe likes him so there's hope!

I'll join in on that, it'd be the most popular decision Joe has ever made if it happens! I do wonder, whatever about Bowe eho has history, how Gilroy was picked ahead of him after the past 4 months.

No, but apparently he's been ever present at Carton House. I know Joe likes him so there's hope!

Adam Byrne hasn't attended Carton House at all. Even when Conway was injured last week Adeolokun was there. And that was after Trimble was there. I'm not disagreeing on Byrne being there. Just 100% on he never was there the last 2 weeks

Adam Byrne hasn't attended Carton House at all. Even when Conway was injured last week Adeolokun was there. And that was after Trimble was there. I'm not disagreeing on Byrne being there. Just 100% on he never was there the last 2 weeks

You've just ruined my day.;)

No..... its second hand information with me so i can't argue the fact.

Just curious, but given Jackson's distribution, kicking and general game play were quite outstanding last week when he got any sort of go forward, would anyone be upset if he remained the starting 10? His biggest weakness for Ulster is his goal kicking, but under the extra pressure of playing in an Ireland jersey his kicking seems far far more consistent.
Combined with Sexton's fragility, I really wouldnt mind seeing Jackson play more regularly for Ireland, as I think he's improved markedly this season in his composure, and ball carrying threat, and definitely makes a back line look more lively. Then I am an ulster man so maybe a bit biased

Just curious, but given Jackson's distribution, kicking and general game play were quite outstanding last week when he got any sort of go forward, would anyone be upset if he remained the starting 10? His biggest weakness for Ulster is his goal kicking, but under the extra pressure of playing in an Ireland jersey his kicking seems far far more consistent.
Combined with Sexton's fragility, I really wouldnt mind seeing Jackson play more regularly for Ireland, as I think he's improved markedly this season in his composure, and ball carrying threat, and definitely makes a back line look more lively. Then I am an ulster man so maybe a bit biased
Not while he still needs this. Sexton could have handled the ball we were getting with a more varied and composed approach. I think when fit Sexton has a lot more composure and grit to get us over the line in a tight game, his leadership shouldn't be underestimated either. Jackson getting a lot of game time is a good thing but when your best players are available they should be picked.

Not while he still needs this. Sexton could have handled the ball we were getting with a more varied and composed approach. I think when fit Sexton has a lot more composure and grit to get us over the line in a tight game, his leadership shouldn't be underestimated either. Jackson getting a lot of game time is a good thing but when your best players are available they should be picked.

We should get a ton of front foot ball this weekend though, and I'd not say Jackson's bad with no front foot ball, i mean Ulster havent generated anything quick at all this season so fairly used to it, though Id concede the point to Sexton there of course. How much of that is due to experience in regards to getting over the line in tight games though? And only one way to gain experience... my personal thoughts would be to keep sexton off the pitch this week, or 20 minute cameo, and then make sure he's refreshed after the week break for tougher games

Crazy that according to accenture statistics team of week 6 irish guys made it.
2 props 2 flankers and 2 halfbacks.
This was team based on statistics

We should get a ton of front foot ball this weekend though, and I'd not say Jackson's bad with no front foot ball, i mean Ulster havent generated anything quick at all this season so fairly used to it, though Id concede the point to Sexton there of course. How much of that is due to experience in regards to getting over the line in tight games though? And only one way to gain experience... my personal thoughts would be to keep sexton off the pitch this week, or 20 minute cameo, and then make sure he's refreshed after the week break for tougher games
I read your post and thought you meant long term! This weekend it doesn't matter, Italy are going to face the misplaced revenge of an absolutely disgusted team that are far better than them. The outhalf will have the easiest job in the world whoever it is.

I read your post and thought you meant long term! This weekend it doesn't matter, Italy are going to face the misplaced revenge of an absolutely disgusted team that are far better than them. The outhalf will have the easiest job in the world whoever it is.

I meant he should maybe see steadily more game time over next couple of seasons, which he will anyway unless Sexton's health improves dramatically.. we'll see what happens, but I wouldnt be overly worried about either come 2019, so long as Jackson has been given the international experience at the highest level. If he keeps improving, well it's a nice selection headache, though again I do agree, Sexton is in the driving seat

Latest posts