• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Wales vs South Africa (24/11/18)

Welsh player dropped on a player on the ground, but that's fine because he had his arms out as he did it.

Good game that, very physical - not seen a Welsh pack that physical in a number of years.

Bit frustrating with the refereeing at times - though he is known as a bit of a homer.

4 out of 4! Immense. And probably most tries scored in the autumn internationals - may be wrong about that but still.

Big win... no excuses from ANYONE! Scorelinewise pretty sure no one else has beaten the Boks by more than a score this year.

Ellis take a f**king bow sir, you stood up and delivered at 6 & 8 throughout. Biggs... your still my 3rd choice but you've got cojones that would probably qualify you to play for Argentina (inside TRF joke there).

If anyone wants to now say "Wales... third in the world! The rankings are a joke!" you my friend are the joke!

Welsh played good rugby, great in the breakdown and amazing defense. We didn't really have any way through despite a huge amount of possession.

Fair to say although there has been some improvement this year we are far from one of the better teams in the game. I think we're close to the France/England/Scotlands of the world but not real contenders.
Dark horses at best. The Welsh loose trio were immense!

Edit: Kolbe was good though and so was our scrum.

And probably most tries scored in the autumn internationals - may be wrong about that but still.

Top 5, I think - New Zealand has over 20, Ireland currently on 15 going into the second half of the USA game. Wales ended on 14, I believe

The way things are going, talk of the "big 3" SH scalps will be reduced to just NZ. I hope things turn around

Top 5, I think - New Zealand has over 20, Ireland currently on 15 going into the second half of the USA game. Wales ended on 14, I believe

I just thought with them scoring 10 in the Japan match they must be up there somewhere.

The way things are going, talk of the "big 3" SH scalps will be reduced to just NZ. I hope things turn around

I honestly haven't heard anyone even mention a 'big 3 scalp' this year until you. It's just been north vs south and on the whole the north has won.

Interesting that you would try to subtlety imply the degree of worthiness being lessened on this thread and not on England's.

Interesting indeed...

The tryless game vs Aus cost you - NZ put ten on Italy earlier and scored a boat load vs Japan. Ireland scored a ton vs Italy as well.

We are still on 'the journey' so no one is seriously worried about that. Rugby is about winning, no matter how you do it (see England circa 2003).

I honestly haven't heard anyone even mention a 'big 3 scalp' this year until you. It's just been north vs south and on the whole the north has won.

Interesting that you would try to subtlety imply the degree of worthiness being lessened on this thread and not on England's.

Interesting indeed...
You're strawmanning hard there, pre-game the general consensus was that England should win, and win well, because Australia are muck - the rankings reflect as much.

Speaking of rankings, I must be a joke because Wales being higher than England makes no sense - England have won 4 on the trot over Wales. Wales have beaten Aus once, England 6(?) in a row. Wales beat SA once, England now twice in a row.

But rankings points are probably a discussion for a different day :p

We are still on 'the journey' so no one is seriously worried about that. Rugby is about winning, no matter how you do it (see England circa 2003).
I'm not implying or inferring anything, literally just talking numbers.

On the game: I think Biggar was the difference. For all the crap he gets he put in a great showing in the 2nd half. Anscombe is a great player but he can't control a tough game to save his life - I guess it's kind of like Ford vs Farrell, attack vs control. The repeated missed kicks in the first half are not what you want against such a tough physical side.

You're strawmanning hard there, pre-game the general consensus was that England should win, and win well, because Australia are muck - the rankings reflect as much.

Speaking of rankings, I must be a joke because Wales being higher than England makes no sense - England have won 4 on the trot over Wales. Wales have beaten Aus once, England 6(?) in a row. Wales beat SA once, England now twice in a row.

But rankings points are probably a discussion for a different day :p

I'm not implying or inferring anything, literally just talking numbers.

On the game: I think Biggar was the difference. For all the crap he gets he put in a great showing in the 2nd half. Anscombe is a great player but he can't control a tough game to save his life - I guess it's kind of like Ford vs Farrell, attack vs control. The repeated missed kicks in the first half are not what you want against such a tough physical side.

We all know how rankings work bud, they don't simply 'carry over' because you have beaten a particular side consecutively... the reason being that there is more than two teams who play rugby in the world and those 'others' teams 'may' have a say in proceedings.

England are currently below Wales because they had a godawful 6 nations and have been scrambling to regain any semblance of form ever since. In the mean time Wales have managed to beat everyone put in front of us... I think the adage goes something like:

"You can only beat what's in front of you..." and that is all we have done... again and again! I'm not here to say Wales are the best side in the world... I'm just here to point out a couple (or more... probably more) of wrongs that have been written.

Well done Wales. You don't even need the ref on your side!

Interesting indeed...

The dislike on this 'stus768' says a helluva lot more about you than me.

A few Welsh observations:

- Tipuric seems to have more physicality than before. He used to be a bit lightweight for test rugby but nobody mentions that now.
- Gareth Davies is excellent in my opinion. Kicking has improved to go with decent distribution and a good running threat.
- D-Biggy is the man for the big occasion and that will probably get him on the plane to Japan.

Happy to say Welsh depth now puts them above the cluster of Oz/Scotland/Boks. I'd fancy Wales at home to Ireland I think.

I think the Boks have flattered to deceive a bit this autumn. They've experimented the least out of the "big nations" (along with the Pumas) and didn't get the results to justify that continuity. The Boks are one of the few nations at the moment to have really strong options at 12, yet they persist with DDA, month after month, year after year. Their backs didn't do a whole lot this game, but thats probably just the Shaun Edwards effect.

Big win... no excuses from ANYONE! Scorelinewise pretty sure no one else has beaten the Boks by more than a score this year.

Ellis take a f**king bow sir, you stood up and delivered at 6 & 8 throughout. Biggs... your still my 3rd choice but you've got cojones that would probably qualify you to play for Argentina (inside TRF joke there).

If anyone wants to now say "Wales... third in the world! The rankings are a joke!" you my friend are the joke!

Pumas beat them by 13. Sorry!

A few Welsh observations:

- Tipuric seems to have more physicality than before. He used to be a bit lightweight for test rugby but nobody mentions that now.
- Gareth Davies is excellent in my opinion. Kicking has improved to go with decent distribution and a good running threat.
- D-Biggy is the man for the big occasion and that will probably get him on the plane to Japan.

Happy to say Welsh depth now puts them above the cluster of Oz/Scotland/Boks. I'd fancy Wales at home to Ireland I think.

I think the Boks have flattered to deceive a bit this autumn. They've experimented the least out of the "big nations" (along with the Pumas) and didn't get the results to justify that continuity. The Boks are one of the few nations at the moment to have really strong options at 12, yet they persist with DDA, month after month, year after year. Their backs didn't do a whole lot this game, but thats probably just the Shaun Edwards effect.

Pumas beat them by 13. Sorry!

Fair play goose I stand corrected... but that does not discount anything else (& I didn't state definitively... i prefixed it with 'pretty sure' just in case some eagle eyed Scottish Italian was trying to prove a point).

Interesting indeed...

You're reading way more into that than you should, although I find it interesting that the BBC were knocking the Aussie team as being rubbish before the England game but not before the Wales game where you beating them was some massive achievement. Why I posted it here? Because I happened to have this thread open when I thought it and it was open because I was watching the Wales game. The fact you find that interesting is interesting.

You're reading way more into that than you should, although I find it interesting that the BBC were knocking the Aussie team as being rubbish before the England game but not before the Wales game where you beating them was some massive achievement.

Didn't watch the beeb presentation of the Eng vz Oz game... watched it on sky (& believe it or not bud... they didn't mention Wales once... nor should they).

I just find it interesting that you choose to denigrate any perceived 'achievement' on the Wales vs SA thread but not on the Eng vs Oz thread. Maybe it's buried so far in your subconscious that you literally have no understanding of your perception (& need to comment on said perception).

Latest posts