• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] France vs Wales (20/03/2021)

Yeah, it did look like heads were slightly lost from the red onwards. Sheedy came on and slightly on a kick which led to Halaholo being offside, and I don't think Liam William's decision to go for it there made sense - not enough reward for the risk. Thought the Faletau yellow was correct but it was very close to being perfectly judged in slowing ball and getting away with it - in some senses a bit unlucky France were held up so soon after, as I think if there had been more phases he might have got away with it.

From the second yellow on they really seemed to panic and arguably lucky not to get another yellow. The sealing off penalty was pretty blatant but can see why it happens.

With the sealing off penalty, do that any other time in the game and you probably get away with it. However when teams decide to try and stall for time like that, and just drop as soon as they touch the opposition you need to be super accurate or the ref is going to ping you. It's only slight but enough.

With the sealing off penalty, do that any other time in the game and you probably get away with it. However when teams decide to try and stall for time like that, and just drop as soon as they touch the opposition you need to be super accurate or the ref is going to ping you. It's only slight but enough.
Dare I say it, a more experienced ref is more wise as to what Aldritt is doing. No complaints as it's exactly the type of thing I'd want our players to try if in that situation.

Anyone think France won't get the required 4 tries and a 21 point win? Would not surprise me if Scotland completely rolled over.

21 sounds a lot but France could easily be ten, 12, 14 nil up after 10, 15 minutes.

Think we might just pinch the ***le with France winning 35-17 or something around that score.

Having had time to digest the result still difficult to fathom how we lost with a scrum advantage and 50 odd seconds left. Are you able to turn to the ref and say we'll take the scrum? (Not sure on rule).

However, we would all have taken 4 wins from 5 and a championship win (Here's hoping) before the start of the campaign.

Dare I say it, a more experienced ref is more wise as to what Aldritt is doing. No complaints as it's exactly the type of thing I'd want our players to try if in that situation.
Yeah, quite Alun Wyn-esque if you will... thousands won't but us boyo's know ;)

I don't think so. When playing keep ball like that refs are looking for an excuse to penalise, Wales gave them one however slight.

Anyone think France won't get the required 4 tries and a 21 point win? Would not surprise me if Scotland completely rolled over.

21 sounds a lot but France could easily be ten, 12, 14 nil up after 10, 15 minutes.

Think we might just pinch the ***le with France winning 35-17 or something around that score.

Having had time to digest the result still difficult to fathom how we lost with a scrum advantage and 50 odd seconds left. Are you able to turn to the ref and say we'll take the scrum? (Not sure on rule).

However, we would all have taken 4 wins from 5 and a championship win (Here's hoping) before the start of the campaign.
Very tough to have any idea bud. France look phenomenal... but I really like that Scotland team this year... and their playing for a potential second place (which without wanting to sound patronising... wouldn't be a bad finish for them).

I reckon it'll play into Scotland's hands to be honest. It suits Scotland to have an open game and if it is, which it should be, then you fancy Scotland to score 2 tries minimum.

You wouldn't rule out the French doing it but I'm pretty confident. Scotland will want to win it and I wouldn't be shocked if they do. 6 day turnaround for both teams but Scotland had an easier run out and should be a bit fresher.

I reckon it'll play into Scotland's hands to be honest. It suits Scotland to have an open game and if it is, which it should be, then you fancy Scotland to score 2 tries minimum.

You wouldn't rule out the French doing it but I'm pretty confident. Scotland will want to win it and I wouldn't be shocked if they do. 6 day turnaround for both teams but Scotland had an easier run out and should be a bit fresher.
Could prove important that.

We talk about painting a picture for the referee and sadly Wales were painting a very bad one at the time.

Don't mind Owens explaining the laws I think its useful thing (when hes right), think describing it as an unacceptable decision is out of order however.
Looked like William's deliberately knocked it on out of the players hands therefore penalty.
As for Owens criticising his ex fellow professional thats not a sporting or gentlemanly thing to do. It's just not 'rugby' and it seems he has sold out to Scrum 5. Am sure he has made many blunders in his time although long before video refs so he wont be found guilty of them.

Looked like William's deliberately knocked it on out of the players hands therefore penalty.
As for Owens criticising his ex fellow professional thats not a sporting or gentlemanly thing to do. It's just not 'rugby' and it seems he has sold out to Scrum 5. Am sure he has made many blunders in his time although long before video refs so he wont be found guilty of them.
****ing legendary... fair play!

I haven't watched the whole thing but I wouldn't mind betting that he praises Pearce and Barnes overall for the job they did. If I can bring myself to re live the experience and watch it later I'll let you know if he does or not.

I haven't watched the whole thing but I wouldn't mind betting that he praises Pearce and Barnes overall for the job they did. If I can bring myself to re live the experience and watch it later I'll let you know if he does or not.
You could very well be right. But the couldn't have used a worse adjective than "unacceptable" if he tried. It's actually "unacceptable" of him to do so.

You could very well be right. But the couldn't have used a worse adjective than "unacceptable" if he tried. It's actually "unacceptable" of him to do so.
In fairness, good on ya Brandon... you came in hot but are cooling down to room temp real quick like.

Good luck to you!

I can see why you think that but I think it was because he was talking about the unacceptable abuse Williams got and that just rolled that Into a "it's especially unacceptable considering he did nothing wrong" kind of thing. That could be me being too generous to him but I didn't quite hear it the same way you did but that's probably my bias as well.

I can see why you think that but I think it was because he was talking about the unacceptable abuse Williams got and that just rolled that Into a "it's especially unacceptable considering he did nothing wrong" kind of thing. That could be me being too generous to him but I didn't quite hear it the same way you did but that's probably my bias as well.
I don't want to go in too hard on this one because....why bother.

What he says is "What is even more unacceptable here is the fact is that Liam Williams did nothing wrong whatsoever."

Now I agree with you it can interpreted both ways but his words are separate statement from talking about the abuse to the incident itself. He's not clear at all to which part he is addressing the unacceptable part to.

As an aside Williams definitely knocked on the ball (intentional up for grabs) so to suggest he did nothing wrong is a little hyperbole in of itself.

Either way Scrum V is a BBC produced Welsh criclejerk (that's its audience and that's fair) so I wouldn't read too much into anything said.

What he says is "What is even more unacceptable here is the fact is that Liam Williams did nothing wrong whatsoever."

Now I agree with you it can interpreted both ways but his words are separate statement from talking about the abuse to the incident itself. He's not clear at all to which part he is addressing the unacceptable part to.

As an aside Williams definitely knocked on the ball (intentional up for grabs) so to suggest he did nothing wrong is a little hyperbole in of itself.

Either way Scrum V is a BBC produced Welsh criclejerk (that's its audience and that's fair) so I wouldn't read too much into anything said.

We can definitely agree he could of articulated himself better for sure.

I agree about its audience but then we get into the whole "can Nigel be objective" discussion. He can take part in a scrum V analysis thing and still give his honest opinion. I'm sure he didn't please a lot of the Scrum V audience when he said how the Adam's and Williams tries against England shouldn't have stood but that is what his opinion was so he said it.

Not knowing the man I have no idea as to what his motivations or intentions are so with a lack of any evidence I'll take what he says at face value and assume he's being genuine in his opinions.

"What is even more unacceptable here is the fact that Liam Williams did nothing wrong whatsoever.

It's brilliant play by Liam Williams here. He gets back to his feet, legally, then [Antoine] Dupont has lifted the ball off the floor.

This means now, even if it was a tackle or a ruck, that phase is now over. It is now open play.

Liam Williams is quite entitled to do the tackle technique that he does. That should have been play on.

The only thing you could argue is did it touch Liam Williams' hand in the process of making a tackle?

It may have done and, if so, it would have been a knock on only and a scrum. But it's certainly not a penalty."

The penalty was allegedly for going off feet, which Owens said he didn't do.

Latest posts