• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Scotland vs Wales (13/02/21)

Scotland are still definitely favourites, although they are a tad weaker with the changes. It's funny, even with the injuries, in previous years I would still think Wales would have have a chance of going to Scotland and coming away with something, can't see that happening now. Is it the change from Gatland to Privac or that Scotland are just much stronger now? Probably a bit of both to be honest.

Apparently McLeod was inline to play, even named internally, then an hour later ruptured his achilles and is now out for 6 months............................

1613055929696.png

Ritchie I think is the biggest loss for this game

Substitutes:
16. David Cherry (Edinburgh) – 1 cap
17. Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors) – 6 caps
18. WP Nel (Edinburgh) – 41 caps
19. Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 66 caps
20. Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) – 3 caps
21. Scott Steele (Harlequins) – 2 caps
22. Jaco van der Walt (Edinburgh) – 1 cap
23. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 27 caps

Some random trivia statistics:

• Scotland are seeking their fifth consecutive championship win – something they haven't achieved since 1984
  • They have conceded just five tries in their past six championship matches. They conceded an average of 14.8 points at Murrayfield in 2020 – their third-lowest figure in a calendar year in the pro era
  • Wales recorded a 90% tackle success rate last weekend – the best rate of round one
  • The Scots are aiming to record back-to-back tournament wins against Wales for the first time since 2002-03
  • They have scored only six tries in their last seven home Six Nations games v Wales
  • Duhan van der Merwe has bagged four tries in his first five starts for Scotland, only failing to score against France in that run. He's beaten 25 defenders in those five games
  • Justin Tipuric made 29 tackles in Wales' win over Ireland – the most by any player in the championship since Guilhem Guirado's 31 against Ireland in 2018
  • Scotland were the only side not to lose a lineout (15/15) on the opening weekend. Wales lost more than any other side (four)
  • Scotland made 29 tackle breaks against England last weekend – more than anyone else
  • Wales have lost their last six away games, conceding 30 points a game in that spell. The last time they endured a worse away run was the ten-match losing streak in 2006-07
  • Four of the last six championship meetings have been decided by seven points or fewer
  • Scottish lock Scott Cummings recorded 45 breakdown arrivals against England – no other player hit 40-plus attacking rucks in round one

Some random trivia statistics:
  • Duhan van der Merwe has bagged four tries in his first five starts for Scotland, only failing to score against France in that run. He's beaten 25 defenders in those five games
F**king hell! That's awesome! :oops:

Sunday will tell us Jocks if we HAVE finally turned the corner. Welsh back row looks potent, and we will be tested more in the front row than we were last weekend.
Lots of threat on the Welsh wings and Tompkins aint half a bad player. Hopefully be a cracker !!

I don't how this game is going to tell if Scotland have turned a corner. They are playing a side that just last week struggled to beat 14 men whilst they struggled to score against an England side that was playing one of their worst games in living memory.

Unless it's an emphatic win (which it probably won't be) I don't know how you really know anything about these sides from the result.

I don't how this game is going to tell if Scotland have turned a corner. They are playing a side that just last week struggled to beat 14 men whilst they struggled to score against an England side that was playing one of their worst games in living memory.

Unless it's an emphatic win (which it probably won't be) I don't know how you really know anything about these sides from the result.
I think for Scotland, getting a run of wins and finishing high up in the table would be a huge step. One of the biggest issues for me has been confidence and belief. They always say they believe they can win, but you just felt that there was that little voice at the back of their heads reminding them of how long it's been. The England win especially could help propel them forward without any baggage and start to win consistently and genuinely challenge for the 6Ns.

I think if the Scots are a little more conservative with penalties in the opposition half and kick a few more 3's then they won't see so many tight affairs. Statistically, with a few exceptions, you will average out more points by taking the 3 for every penalty than going to a lineout. Scotland could have put the England game to bed but kept going for tries.

what will a win mean for each team
1) Scotland win , they beat a poor Wales or are Scotland really getting better
2) Wales win just another false dawn from Scotland , or are they over the loss of Gatland .
I suppose a lot will depend on the actual game itself for one I am looking forward to it , even though I cant be there.

Scotland have to win. There's always been talk about them moving on, getting to the next level and actually challenging for the championship. A wounded Wales at Homes should be one they are winning 9 times out of 10.

Scotland 4/9 in the betting . We are 15/8 I'd say them odds are about right. Stuck a bit on us as there's a bit of value in them odds and historically we do well against the Scots but on form Scots should be winning this.

Latest posts