• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Italy vs Scotland (12/03/22)

Be good to see White get good game time I thought he looked sharp when coverings Prices HIA

I don't think Kinghorn works that well on the wing (possibly lacks the acceleration?), and probably messes him around a lot given the time at 10.

Scotland Team:

15 Hogg
14 Graham,
13 Harris
12 Johnson
11 Steyn

10 Russell
9 Price

1 Schoeman
2 Turner
3 Z Fagerson
4 Skinner
5 Gilchrist
6 Darge,
7 Watson,
8 M Fagerson.

Replacements: McInally, Dell, Nel, Hodgson, Bradbury, Vellacott, Hastings, Tuipulotu.

No radical change which is perhaps a bit disappointing, although the bench has had a wee shake up with some new names coming in. I think Toonie is giving what he has felt is his choice team a chance to give a better account of themselves against struggling opposition.
One way or another Scotland have to find some confidence and accuracy this weekend.

This begs the question why was Sam Johnson dropped so unceremoniously? Did he have a ****le? Dropping as versatile and quality a player as Kinghorn seems mad. He had about the only 2nd half line break against France last time. Hope for Italia!

This begs the question why was Sam Johnson dropped so unceremoniously? Did he have a ****le? Dropping as versatile and quality a player as Kinghorn seems mad. He had about the only 2nd half line break against France last time. Hope for Italia!
On Johnson I think it was a chance to trial Tuiplotu, the problem has been that his pairing with Russel hasn't looked as successful as the Johnson one - this may be a Finn problem though.
Kinghorn is not the answer, his break was great but that is something he can do as a 11/14/15 not a 10. He is too slow in accelerating to attack at International level for me. Hastings is a more useful option on the bench.

On Johnson I think it was a chance to trial Tuiplotu, the problem has been that his pairing with Russel hasn't looked as successful as the Johnson one - this may be a Finn problem though.
Kinghorn is not the answer, his break was great but that is something he can do as a 11/14/15 not a 10. He is too slow in accelerating to attack at International level for me. Hastings is a more useful option on the bench.
So why pick Kinghorn and not Hastings for the first 3 games? Townsend has clearly got it wrong at some point in this tournament in that question and in terms of the centres selections. It's just weird selection processes. The Italy game is ripe for experimentation but instead he picks two 'failed' 12s and a third guy who can cover 12.

On Kinghorn my point is not for him at 10, but that he is a good player that has done nothing wrong in this tournament and provides solid cover in 4 positions (counting wing as 2). To me that is someone I put down as close to the first name on the squad list due to the excellent injury coverage he provides. Hastings can cover 12 so I'd have gone Hastings and Kinghorn and dropped Tuiplotu.

So why pick Kinghorn and not Hastings for the first 3 games? Townsend has clearly got it wrong at some point in this tournament in that question and in terms of the centres selections. It's just weird selection processes. The Italy game is ripe for experimentation but instead he picks two 'failed' 12s and a third guy who can cover 12.

On Kinghorn my point is not for him at 10, but that he is a good player that has done nothing wrong in this tournament and provides solid cover in 4 positions (counting wing as 2). To me that is someone I put down as close to the first name on the squad list due to the excellent injury coverage he provides. Hastings can cover 12 so I'd have gone Hastings and Kinghorn and dropped Tuiplotu.
On Hastings I believe he was told to go and find form at the start of the tournament which he has since done in Townsends eyes.
I agree with you the centres have not worked but I think it's more been down to Finn not being consistent enough. Toonie likes Harris and yes the guy does a job especially defence very well.
After the France effort I had hoped to see Bennet.

Hard to see beyond a comfortable Scottish win.
However they have been underwhelming seen a good last 15 mins v England.

I agree this game would usually have been an opportunity to experiment but after losing to Wales and France it looks like Toonie has gone conservative with the centres and has prioritised getting a win first and foremost and to stop leaking tries. It wouldn't surprise me if the game is tight for the first 60 and Scotland then pull away.

I also think that Toonie is not really bothered about having a settled side as he seems like keeping opposition coaches guessing. Not exactly the Schmidt or Gatland way but they don't call it Toonie Tombola for nothing. Could be a great opportunity for Vellacott who looks very dynamic at club level.

I agree this game would usually have been an opportunity to experiment but after losing to Wales and France it looks like Toonie has gone conservative with the centres and has prioritised getting a win first and foremost and to stop leaking tries. It wouldn't surprise me if the game is tight for the first 60 and Scotland then pull away.

I also think that Toonie is not really bothered about having a settled side as he seems like keeping opposition coaches guessing. Not exactly the Schmidt or Gatland way but they don't call it Toonie Tombola for nothing. Could be a great opportunity for Vellacott who looks very dynamic at club level.
I can live with this, a good win is most important rather than too much flair right now.

To expand on Hastings, Toonie confirmed they sent Adam back to his club asking him to step up his form, which he subsequently has done. We might have seen Russell under more pressure sooner if Hastings was on form at the start of the tournament - I kinda suspect Kinghorn was there to cover rather than compete at 10 in Gregor's eyes (but gave him a good run v France to see).

What is the Italy team looking like (pardon my ignorance I haven't been able catch their games this tournament)?

Italy have been rather poor to be honest. For all the talk about how they have been improving coming into the tournament it's certainly not translated onto the pitch. They haven't had the best of luck with injuries to be fair.

I can live with this, a good win is most important rather than too much flair right now.

To expand on Hastings, Toonie confirmed they sent Adam back to his club asking him to step up his form, which he subsequently has done. We might have seen Russell under more pressure sooner if Hastings was on form at the start of the tournament - I kinda suspect Kinghorn was there to cover rather than compete at 10 in Gregor's eyes (but gave him a good run v France to see).

What is the Italy team looking like (pardon my ignorance I haven't been able catch their games this tournament)?

Yeah that makes sense re. Hastings. Better having a versatile and in decent form Kinghorn on the bench than an out of form Hastings. I think having Johnson and Harris at centre puts more pressure on Russell to unlock opposition defences. A lack of ball playing centre means he often has to fling a long pass or do a crossfield kick straight to one of the wingers which obviously runs the risk of an interception.

Italy played well against France in the first game (for the first 60 mins anyway) before France pulled away. Their performances have dipped since the opening week although I am sure they will be targeting tomorrow's game as they always do.

Yet again the whole point of this match is for Italy to keep the score down. They won't manage it so well. The Scots will be around the 50 mark.

Honestly not sure if I'll watch this match, or Wales vs Italy next week. Don't mind the game itself, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to listen to the pundits hyping up every little thing and making out as if beating Italy is an achievement. Scotland and Wales have had a poor tournament overall (along with probably England as well after the next 2 matches) and are competing for best of the rest.

Honestly not sure if I'll watch this match, or Wales vs Italy next week. Don't mind the game itself, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to listen to the pundits hyping up every little thing and making out as if beating Italy is an achievement. Scotland and Wales have had a poor tournament overall (along with probably England as well after the next 2 matches) and are competing for best of the rest.

You might be in luck. It's Geechs and Jim Hamilton in the studio. No sign of Andy Nicol.

Latest posts