TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
England's 34-man squad announced on Thursday for a three-Test tour of South Africa in June:

Backs

Fullbacks/wings: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Nathan Earle (Saracens), Jonny May (Leicester) Denny Solomona (Sale)

Inside backs: Danny Cipriani (Wasps), Owen Farrell (Saracens, capt), George Ford (Leicester), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Cameron Redpath (Sale), Dan Robson (Wasps), Henry Slade (Exeter), Ben Spencer (Saracens), Ben Te'o (Worcester), Ben Youngs (Leicester)

Forwards

Back five: Tom Curry (Sale), Ben Earl(Saracens), Jonny Hill (Exeter), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Brad Shields (Hurricanes/Wasps), Sam Simmonds (Exeter), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Jack Willis (Wasps), Mark Wilson (Newcastle)

Front row: Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter), Ellis Genge (Leicester), Jamie George (Saracens), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter)

Fixtures (all 17:05 kick-off)

June 9: South Africa v England, 1st Test, Johannesburg

June 16: South Africa v England, 2nd Test, Bloemfontein

June 23: South Africa v England, 3rd Test, Cape Town

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/phew-eng-squad-for-boks-looks-credible-20180510

interested to see the South Africans reaction to this squad.

Well, there are a few names I'm unfamiliar with. There are also a few names missing.

Just seems like the outside backs are a little bit on the slower more physical side, which makes me think that the high ball will be part of Eddie's game plan.

"Fly halves are basically the quarterbacks of rugby and are extremely valuable, so lets pick like five of em. Also second rows are like the biggest guys on the pitch and that works at under 12 level to win games so lets pick a bunch of them too. Also the Irish are scummy"- Eddie Jones probably.
In all seriousness, there's the bones of some very experimental teams in there, especially in the backs, where all joking aside, they've picked a rake of playmakers.

Well, there are a few names I'm unfamiliar with. There are also a few names missing.

Just seems like the outside backs are a little bit on the slower more physical side, which makes me think that the high ball will be part of Eddie's game plan.

Fullbacks/wings: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Nathan Earle (Saracens), Jonny May (Leicester) Denny Solomona (Sale)

Not sure about that - Brown is certainly slow, and Earle may not be blistering but the others are very pacey. Earle is the only really physical one, although Daly goes beyond his size on that.

Not sure about that - Brown is certainly slow, and Earle may not be blistering but the others are very pacey. Earle is the only really physical one, although Daly goes beyond his size on that.
Shhh - don't TELL them that!

At least let them set up to defend narrow, assuming they can drift out to lumbering boshers with plenty of time, and hang back for the kicks, against , knowing they have all the time in the world to cover our back 3 - and THEN unleash May, Daly and Solomona

Last edited:
"Fly halves are basically the quarterbacks of rugby and are extremely valuable, so lets pick like five of em. Also second rows are like the biggest guys on the pitch and that works at under 12 level to win games so lets pick a bunch of them too. Also the Irish are scummy"- Eddie Jones probably.

One out of three ain't bad

1 fullback
4 wings
0 outside centres
1 inside centre
3 scrum-halves
6 fly-halves

Just Eddie things

I find Eddie Jones pretty embarassing at the moment.
Comes out and starts talking about how Cipriani will be out of the tour if he acts up - I don't think it's fair to single out someone in that way when he's had his head down playing his best rugby for a long time.
Meanwhile George Ford has been embarassingly poor this season and yet we know Cipriani won't get a look-in on tour because of Jones' hardness for Ford.

How has Ford been embarrassing poor FFS, find it quite funny how people are trying to blame Ford for Tigers season just to big up Cips, nah our packs to blame and the coaches being directionless, he showed in the game v sale what he is capable of when his pack actually attacks the breakdown and give him some running options.
Talk about embarrassing poor comments from a one eyed wasp fan.....

RE Eddie comment about Cips it is what it is, Cips has a rap about being a "Difficult personality" that's his own fault no one else's, Eddie kicked out Solomona and Tuilagi for their behaviour so it's not like Cips is the only person he has been tough with.

Hate using the term snowflakes but Cips is 30 now if he can't handle what eddie says (Which is pretty tame by his standards) then could he handle the increase press spotlight and the opp coaches? and if he can handle it why do supporters feel the need to defend him.

I haven't listened to the interview yet, how exactly did the Cipriani warning come about? If he just came out with it completely unprompted then it's a bit of a poor move, but if the interviewer has specifically asked him 'what would you do if Cipriani acts like a knob?' then it's a completely reasonable response. There's a massive difference between the two.

Also surely Denny Solomona has had a more recent run in while with England, so shouldn't he be warned as well? Unfortunately an element of this is the media who love to make an issue out of nothing. Why give a guy a chance when you can assume he will be guilty anyway.

Also surely Denny Solomona has had a more recent run in while with England, so shouldn't he be warned as well? Unfortunately an element of this is the media who love to make an issue out of nothing. Why give a guy a chance when you can assume he will be guilty anyway.

Why should he be warned?
Solomona was kicked out of England training camp he will know thats the case already?

If people listened to the interview he was directly asked If he had any concerns that he might be disruptive to the teams ethos.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p066tsj9

7:50 in.

What else would he say FFS.

I agree with the above, Cipriani has a well earned reputation for being a complete arse off the field. Put it in perspective, Johnson backed his players when they were acting like idiots and gave them tons of leeway and even he dumped Cipriani for his attitude. This is a coach who was trying to overlook midget throwing so I think that tells you a lot about how insufferable Cipriani must have been off the field. The thing is it's not even like it's limited to when he was young and hot headed, he was still doing it when Lancaster was coach and throwing a hissy fit because he wasn't selected for England.

I think it's perfectly fair for Jones to publicly state that any nonsense from Cips and he's home, god knows he's had enough chances to not be a complete pillock and has blown every single one.

Latest posts