• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eddie Jones replaces Dave Rennie as Wallabies coach

I would say maybe an offer in Japan came up, as I always presumed he was gonna go back there after England, but leaving 4 years early...I doubt the ARU would be happy with him just walking out for another rugby job when he's under contract

Rennie must be fuming. I doubt ARU would've fired him and brought in Eddie if it had only been for a year.
And the ARU and Australian rugby fans.

Sounds like the entire thing now is just an ego trip for the guy and they won't win.

Leicester tigers hired the guy tipped to be Rennie successor.

FFS can see the ARU trying to bring him back with our new set piece coach

Eddie is hell bent on gutting us

Also remember, Jones and the ARU were talking for over a year before the appointment, so wasn't a quick, knee-jerk decision that he may have rushed. They had plenty of time to discuss EJ's plans post-WC.

Looks like we've all forgotten Rule 1 of the Eddie handbook which is to ignore anything and everything he says.
Yeah, after commenting in this thread I went to look at the actual quote and it seems much more like a tongue-in-cheek way of biting back at his detractors than a legitimate insight into his future. Kind of "everyone says I'm a short term coach so I'll just **** off after the RWC, shall I?"

Quote, for those interested:
I'm only coaching to this World Cup. I've signed, but as I've made the mistake before, I've stayed too long. So we win the World Cup it will be time to go. If we lose the World Cup it will be time to go.

It would appear the horrendous nose dive in results after a good initial period would say you're a short term coach.

Is 4 years that short a term?
Also outside of a good semi-final, the last couple of years of that cycle wasn't great anyway.

2016 - Grand slam + 100% win ratio
2017 - Champions + 90% win ratio
2018 - 5th + 46% win ratio (including a loss to the baabaas)
2019 - 2nd + 73% win ratio (though we played some awful rugby that year)

Post world cup
2020 - Champions + 89% win ratio
2021 - 5th + 70% win ratio
2022 - 3rd + 42% win ratio

Parts of those periods worst finish in a 6Ns, twice. Least tries scored, most tries conceded if I remember correctly. We ended up playing some of the worst rugby I've ever seen England play. Definitely would not say it was a good 4 year period.

Also outside of a good semi-final, the last couple of years of that cycle wasn't great anyway.

2016 - Grand slam + 100% win ratio
2017 - Champions + 90% win ratio
2018 - 5th + 46% win ratio (including a loss to the baabaas)
2019 - 2nd + 73% win ratio (though we played some awful rugby that year)

Post world cup
2020 - Champions + 89% win ratio
2021 - 5th + 70% win ratio
2022 - 3rd + 42% win ratio

Parts of those periods worst finish in a 6Ns, twice. Least tries scored, most tries conceded if I remember correctly. We ended up playing some of the worst rugby I've ever seen England play. Definitely would not say it was a good 4 year period.

Might have played some bad rugby but how is 2nd in the 6N's and 2nd in the RWC not great?

I like how people are now saying it was Farrell and Lancaster that built this team, what since Farrell won the grand slam are people now deciding that Farrell needs more credit for England? What about Rowntree?

And did Lancaster build it? Or was it the Prem clubs? Who gets credit cause Lancaster bottled most of the big calls come RWC time

Might have played some bad rugby but how is 2nd in the 6N's and 2nd in the RWC not great?

I like how people are now saying it was Farrell and Lancaster that built this team, what since Farrell won the grand slam are people now deciding that Farrell needs more credit for England? What about Rowntree?

And did Lancaster build it? Or was it the Prem clubs? Who gets credit cause Lancaster bottled most of the big calls come RWC time
I'm not saying it was all Lancaster and Farrell, I'm saying apart from the first two years and a good world cup, there wasn't a lot to be massively excited about.

Jones has only won 3 out his last 13 tests as a head coach, all for Eng vs a poor Japan, a whitewashed Italy and a strike distracted Wales. Not likely to improve with the ABs in town tomorrow.

No doubt that ratio will improve a bit, but everyone's got a shelf life.

Jones has only won 3 out his last 13 tests as a head coach, all for Eng vs a poor Japan, a whitewashed Italy and a strike distracted Wales. Not likely to improve with the ABs in town tomorrow.

No doubt that ratio will improve a bit, but everyone's got a shelf life.

I mean playing
Argentina
South Africa
Isn't the easiest of starts

I know people like to **** on him but his record speaks for itself and he will go down in history as prob one of the best international coaches in history. I am a fan boy of his thought. I do think that when it comes to leadership he's one of the most interesting characters in rugby and one of the few coaches I genuinely like listening to him talk be it for good or **** takes its actually interesting and not the same robotic ****.

This year with Aus will be prob a damp squid same with England.

Post RWC will be what his shelf life is judged by.

I still think Aus will come good come RWC, I also think Eddie personality wise is very much a product of coaching in two countries with prob the most ruthless sports media. That sport in England in general to succeed need to look at how the way the media reports it.

I mean playing
Argentina
South Africa
Isn't the easiest of starts

I know people like to **** on him but his record speaks for itself and he will go down in history as prob one of the best international coaches in history. I am a fan boy of his thought. I do think that when it comes to leadership he's one of the most interesting characters in rugby and one of the few coaches I genuinely like listening to him talk be it for good or **** takes its actually interesting and not the same robotic ****.

This year with Aus will be prob a damp squid same with England.

Post RWC will be what his shelf life is judged by.

I still think Aus will come good come RWC, I also think Eddie personality wise is very much a product of coaching in two countries with prob the most ruthless sports media. That sport in England in general to succeed need to look at how the way the media reports it.
I agree with a lot of that but a couple of exceptions.

I enjoy people who stir the pot a bit in a clever or logical way way, but he veered too far too often towards the crass and distasteful for my taste.

This is a results business. Since 2020 he's not got them or performances. That's a long time in pro sport. Likely to go 3 out of 14. I said his ratio is likely improve but whether he can get anywhere near Bill, which seemed to be his one remaining ambition, is doubtful.

Knowing your time's done and when to leave the stage is one of the hardest things of all. Martin Johnson could have gone on, but he did it in style, at his own choosing, with Bill in his hands. Arsene Wenger, who radicalised football when he came in, left under pressure, looking like an old man behind the times unable to get a tune out of his team.

Everyone's a product of their time, everyone has peak career years, but they don't last forever. Never do, you get overtaken by the type of bright shiny thing you were 20 years ago. I feel Japan was Jones' last big moment but we'll have to see.

Latest posts