• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Been on fire all season, tbf - and would fit Borthwick's playstyle down to a tee
I don't expect him to play though, tbh - others are (most rightfully, some wrongfully) higher up the pecking order - I hope he gets a start in the A game

I always hate having Italy as first game up, that's usually when you experiment a bit but with it being first up (and with us having so many enforced changes anyway) we don't have that opportunity
Well SB should be seriously considering him.

11 Freeman
14 Roebuck
15 Steward

What high ball issues 🤣

Wales are the second fixture so plenty of opportunity to rotate then.
True but funnily enough I was saying to my brother earlier that we'll have to start strong against Scotland first up but we can afford to play a half second string at Twickenham and rest a few key players ready for our back to back games against France and Ireland.

What most of us would like to see in the backs Vs what SB is comfortable with .Will be very different I suspect

SB will likely pick ford at 10 and Daly on the wing (even when he had gas he was never a winger imo)

The backs likely to be an improvement on the Farrell at 12 nonsense. However it could be so much more

Just hope I have him all wrong and he is able to more fluid with selection and tactics. Picking the most talented/ in form players in their best positions.

Is Tom Roebuck any good? Ive just watched a highlights package of him on YouTube and most of the tries he scored were from kicks and lucky bounces. Does he ever gas somebody on the outside?

I miss Eddie Jones. I can't help but feel he would've had some great responses to Gatlands dig re Feyi Waboso but Borthwick is to boring sadly. Hopefully he ups his game in the build up to our game.

The thing I find most sad is how many seem to have decided they now hate the player as if he is some sort of traitor and that he would not be welcome back in Wales. Many many English players have gone to play for Wales or Scotland and can come back to play for English clubs without any negativity. Hopefully just the usual trollish behaviour of people talking big behind a screen but even then you rarely see similar comments even from keyboard warriors for the English players who play for other nations.

The thing I find most sad is how many seem to have decided they now hate the player as if he is some sort of traitor and that he would not be welcome back in Wales. Many many English players have gone to play for Wales or Scotland and can come back to play for English clubs without any negativity. Hopefully just the usual trollish behaviour of people talking big behind a screen but even then you rarely see similar comments even from keyboard warriors for the English players who play for other nations.
It's crazy considering all the fault is on the WRU for his loss to welsh rugby

Is Tom Roebuck any good? Ive just watched a highlights package of him on YouTube and most of the tries he scored were from kicks and lucky bounces. Does he ever gas somebody on the outside?
He's not an out and out speedster - like he's definitely fast enough for wing but he's not in the realms of a Radwan or a Reed
He's probably the best winger in the country under the high ball atm (Watson not considered as he's injured), his retainment stats are crazy and he's done a lot of work with League coaches to perfect (accurate) slap backs as well, which I think is an underutilised skill in Union
Decently strong and runs intelligent lines

Definitely a systems player rather than a spark-something-from-nothing one - more of a Cueto than a Robinson (though about a foot taller than either)

I think most people direct their ire towards the WRU. Not to say there's none towards him but nothing extreme (other than the usual minority of nutters who send death threats and all that kind of sick ****)

The rest of the hatred stuff will just be theatrical sporting **** like booing him if he ever plays in Cardiff or whatever. I hope he fails miserably in his international rugby career but on a human level i obviously hope he has every success in life outside of rugby.

That won't happen as the welsh general population arnt as nice nor smart as the amazing fantastic English.

It's science.

If we persist with the kicking game plan then Roebuck really has to start. He's purpose built for it.

If we do actually play more expansively then personally I'd edge towards Feyi-Waboso as I think he's a notably better attacking weapon.

Freeman has to start on the other wing regardless of game plan.

Going to be interesting to see if Borthwick press conferences (Particularly after future defeats) have constant questions about if the RFU should keep the ban on non English playing players. Rightly or wrongly a lot of people will find it a rule that is outdated.

Ditto people will also ask Borthwick I suspect about the various rumours about several players called up for the Six nations who are likely to go to France this or next summer and if any of those rejected a hybrid contract.

Last edited:
Farrell going to racing or not, not sure he deserves to be in the England squad. Smith and smith have skills Farrell can only dream of.

Farrell going to racing or not, not sure he deserves to be in the England squad. Smith and smith have skills Farrell can only dream of.
Best possible outcome for all parties really - England get to move on from Farrell without having to drop him, Farrell gets to go make a bunch of cash away from the British media

Best possible outcome for all parties really - England get to move on from Farrell without having to drop him, Farrell gets to go make a bunch of cash away from the British media
Through going by the comments on the BBC website a lot of people see it as he faked mental health issues so he could focus on moving away.

Plus if also puts a lot of pressure on the RFU to make sure the hybrid contracts work as come 2027 if they don't people will say why are the RFU self sabotaging.

Yep. Just wish he'd been able to finish his England career on a high note. Whether you like his play style or not the man has always given 100% commitment to the shirt and deserved a decent send off.

Through going by the comments on the BBC website a lot of people see it as he faked mental health issues so he could focus on moving away.

Plus if also puts a lot of pressure on the RFU to make sure the hybrid contracts work as come 2027 if they don't people will say why are the RFU self sabotaging.
You think he'll come back on a hybrid contract?

Don't think Farrell leaving is gonna move the dial much on wanting to pick players abroad.

See how good they look if they're only licensed to hoof it high. Exhibit A: Ford, G.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but Farrell still has plenty of skill. It was more that, whether through his instinct or coaching instruction, we didn't see enough of it. Real Achilles heel was lack of a running game which restricted his threat and I'd more put down to a lack of speed and acceleration than anything else.

Latest posts