• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

I flip flop on it to be honest. I can totally see where you're coming from and most days agree with you and think it should just be 1 parent and/or 5 years residency but at the same time a 25% blood line is a decent amount as well but yeah I hear ya, I don't for 1 second think Nick Tompkins, for example, is really Welsh but it is what it is I suppose.
Its a very difficult thing to judge.

Theres many players with incredibly small links to countries who given their all for that country in long careers, i fully understand that....and i have no doubt that Waboso for example will give his all and is potentially a fantastic player available to England...

But it just feels a bit........Meh....

And if Wales had sorted the 25 cap issue out (which will potentially affect Wabosos Medical Degree) would he have chosen Wales?

would he have chosen Wales?
1000000000% would, sounds like he only made the decision to choose England a couple of weeks ago (I'm guessing after his agent spoke to WRU and they said they're not budging on the 25 cap rule), before that everything pointed to him going for Wales

1000000000% would, sounds like he only made the decision to choose England a couple of weeks ago (I'm guessing after his agent spoke to WRU and they said they're not budging on the 25 cap rule), before that everything pointed to him going for Wales
Yeah thats my thoughts aswell....

Got quite a bit to thank the various Cardiff Unis for really. IFW headed for England after being turned down by Cardiff while Met spawned Dombrandt and Pearson (and Northmore), following in the illustrious stud marks of Colin Smart of aftershave fame.

Its a very difficult thing to judge.

Theres many players with incredibly small links to countries who given their all for that country in long careers, i fully understand that....and i have no doubt that Waboso for example will give his all and is potentially a fantastic player available to England...

But it just feels a bit........Meh....

And if Wales had sorted the 25 cap issue out (which will potentially affect Wabosos Medical Degree) would he have chosen Wales?
Yeah as olly said he was definitely joining wales as he said the below only about 3 months ago so it's safe to assume he wanted to play for Wales. I don't begrudge him his decision, I can understand it and I would've scrapped the 25 cap rule long ago but having said that if it was me personally I would never play for England. I would happily have a successful club career but he's chosen the old enemy so **** him.

"I'd love to be a Welsh international," he said. "But realistically, I know there are parts of my game that I need to work on to even be close to being on that international level. It's more about working on my weaknesses and strengthening my strong points."

"I think [my ambition to play for Wales] is very superficial actually. Obviously I would love for that to happen but I feel I need to get some high-level game time under my belt first - but hopefully at some point, yeah."

1) Do I think Farrell faked mental health issues? No absolutely not.

2) Do I think this move was on the cards or he was putting feelers out which led to his decision to make himself unavailable knowing it would likely be done deal after squad announcement? Yes

1 probably led to 2

Got quite a bit to thank the various Cardiff Unis for really. IFW headed for England after being turned down by Cardiff while Met spawned Dombrandt and Pearson (and Northmore), following in the illustrious stud marks of Colin Smart of aftershave fame.
And Underhill....

He's not an out and out speedster - like he's definitely fast enough for wing but he's not in the realms of a Radwan or a Reed
He's probably the best winger in the country under the high ball atm (Watson not considered as he's injured), his retainment stats are crazy and he's done a lot of work with League coaches to perfect (accurate) slap backs as well, which I think is an underutilised skill in Union
Decently strong and runs intelligent lines

Definitely a systems player rather than a spark-something-from-nothing one - more of a Cueto than a Robinson (though about a foot taller than either)
No wonder Borthwick has selected him.

English clubs love poaching Welsh players. It's what they do.

He he.
Wouldn't be so easily done if Welsh clubs loved paying their players.
And Underhill....
Quite a different situation as he'd already played in the Prem for Gloucester and had played England U20s. Cardiff can't really claim to have had much/any part in developing him. In fact I'm fairly sure he never even played a game for them, he was purely at the uni to study.

Dombrandt, Pearson and Northmore were nobodies before going to Met. They did a ton of development with them and played for them every week.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be so easily done if Welsh clubs loved paying their players.

Quite a different situation as he'd already played in the Prem for Gloucester and had played England U20s. Cardiff can't really claim to have developed him. In fact I'm fairly sure he never even played a game for them, he was purely there to study.

Dombrandt, Pearson and Northmore were nobodies before going to Met. They did a ton of development with them and played for them every week.
Not helped that we only have 4 professional (debatable) sides. If we had a dozen like you they would and yet the WRU want to cut us down by even more and limit playing opportunities yet even more of our promising young talent.

Which is why I don't understand why they don't bin off the 25 cap rule. Let these young Welsh players develop in England but still be eligible to lay for Wales. Annoying.

Ospreys developed Underhill.

Ha ha. I knew when I was typing that it was, what is it now, 10? But **** it. You know what I mean. lol.
TBF I think there are 12 full time academies still as Wasps has continued on as a generic Midlands one, and Leeds' academy is still going (the players just have to go elsewhere once they graduate it)

I think London Irishes got absorbed by the other London clubs, though? Might be imagining that

He's not an out and out speedster - like he's definitely fast enough for wing but he's not in the realms of a Radwan or a Reed
He's probably the best winger in the country under the high ball atm (Watson not considered as he's injured), his retainment stats are crazy and he's done a lot of work with League coaches to perfect (accurate) slap backs as well, which I think is an underutilised skill in Union
Decently strong and runs intelligent lines

Definitely a systems player rather than a spark-something-from-nothing one - more of a Cueto than a Robinson (though about a foot taller than either)
He is solid to good in all departments
To be fair...Dombrandt is actually excellent at the breakdown and im sure hes the second highest turnover maker at quins? So that gives you another angle if you play Dombrandt at 8...
He is very good over the ball. He has been the last few seasons. His work rate has really improved. He will never however never be the most abrasive 8 or have really high ruck stats. That's not his game. Nor is it CCS game. The point I was making is that for me CCS and Dombrandt are fine at club level with Evans.
However I would be very concerned about them playing in the same back row for England

How bad is the Lawrence injury? Ojomoh has been called up along with Muir.

LCD also injured and replaced by Blamire

He is very good over the ball. He has been the last few seasons. His work rate has really improved. He will never however never be the most abrasive 8 or have really high ruck stats. That's not his game.
I mean that's just provably untrue. This season he's had the most turnovers of anyone in the squad, has hit the second most attacking rucks of anyone in the squad (behind Roots) and has hit the most defensive rucks of anyone in the squad.

I'm really not much of a fan of Dombrandt and frankly don't think he'll ever be an international standard back rower but to say he'll never have high ruck stats is just… false.

He is solid to good in all departments

He is very good over the ball. He has been the last few seasons. His work rate has really improved. He will never however never be the most abrasive 8 or have really high ruck stats. That's not his game. Nor is it CCS game. The point I was making is that for me CCS and Dombrandt are fine at club level with Evans.
However I would be very concerned about them playing in the same back row for England
Add Earl and the breakdown would be left to Itoje and Dombrandt reluctantly.
My BR
6. Pearson
7. Curry
8. Earl

Latest posts