• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Paddy Power world cup squad odds is worth a laugh.
1/50
Maro Itoje
Mako Vunipola
Owen Farrell

1/20
Ben Youngs

1/16
Jonny May

1/14
Billy Vunipola
Jamie George
Elliot Daly

1/10
Chris Ashton
Courtney Lawes

1/9
Danny Care

1/7
Kyle Sinckler

1/6
Dylan Hartley
Ben Teo

1/5
Sam Underhill
Joe Launchbury
George Ford

2/9
Mike Brown
Henry Slade

3/10
Jack Nowell
Alec Hepburn

4/11
George Kruis
Alex Lozowski

2/5
Sam Simmonds
Harry Williams
Manu Tuilagi

8/15
Mark Wilson

8/13
Nick Isiekwe

4/6
Jonathan Joseph
Ellis Genge
Tom Curry
Anthony Watson

8/11
Dan Cole
Brad Shields

5/6
Ben Moon
Jonny Hill

10/11
Zach Mercer
Chris Robshaw

6/5
Luke Cowan Dickie

5/4
Danny Cipriani
Nathan Hughes

6/4
Richard Wigglesworth

7/4
Jason Woodward
Ben Spencer

2/1
Alex Goode
Dan Robson
Lewis Boyce
Ollie Devoto
Tom Dunn
Denny Solomona
Marcus Smith

11/4
Jack Singleton
Beno Obano

3/1
Matt Kvesic
Tom Youngs

10/3
Henry Trinder

7/1
Joe Marchant
David Strettle

4/1
Jake Cooper-Wooley
Nathan Earle
Semesa Rokoduguni

5/1
Val Rapava Ruskin
Don Armand
Piers FRANCIS
Alex Lewington
Ben Curry
Tom Wood
Gary Graham

6/1
Ben Morgan
Jackson Wray

7/1
Elliott Stooke
Charlie Ewels

8/1
Marland Yarde

10/1
Jack Innard
James Haskell

14/1
Joe Marler

16/1
Joe Simmonds
Brad Barritt
Kieran Brookes
Toby Flood
Callum Braley
Graham Kitchener
Will Spencer

20/1
Matt Banahan
Henry Thomas
Rob Webber
Ben Earl

25/1
Teimana Harrison
Joe Simpson
Charlie Sharples
Olly Woodburn

50/1
Freddie Burns
Billy Twelvetrees
Calum Clark
Josh Bassett

100/1
Luther Burrell
Christian Wade

Hask has to be worth a shout at 10/1 he's only a few injuries away I feel to make the squad.

Right then, updated 2019WC squad: shoot me down
  1. Genge, Vunipola, Moon (prefer Vunipola finishing as he still hasn't sured up scrummaging 100%)
  2. George, Taylor, Hartley (time for Hartley to take a back seat, I love Taylor when hes not injured)
  3. Cole, Sinckler, Williams
  4. Itoje, Lawes
  5. Kruis, Launchbury
  6. Wilson, Shields (Although I'm desperate for Armand and Ewers to be given a go)
  7. Underhill, Curry
  8. Vunipola

9. Youngs, Robson, (Wigglesworth)
  10. Farrell, Ford,
  11. May, Cokanasiga
  12. Manu OR Teo, Lozowski
  13. Joseph, Slade
  14. Watson, Nowell
  15. Daly (Brown)

All in all a good series for England. Japan was a low point but other than that I think we can be proud of the performances. If someone had offered me wins against SA, Japan and Australia as well as a 1 point loss to NZ prior to the series, I'd have taken it happily. TBH I reckon EJ would've too.

All in all a good series for England. Japan was a low point but other than that I think we can be proud of the performances. If someone had offered me wins against SA, Japan and Australia as well as a 1 point loss to NZ prior to the series, I'd have taken it happily. TBH I reckon EJ would've too.

I honestly thought winning 1 was a possiblity at the start, but EJ has made some better selections and we've had some players rise up to the occasion. Still got some work, but overall I'm very happy. However it needs to continue into the 6N's.

Before the autumn with all these injures I'd have taken 3-1.

Going In to this I wanted to see a replacement for Marler, a back up for Billy, bring in Underhill I'm back row with Curry. I think Moon, Wilson have been 2 of the best players for England. Curry got injured but Underhill was impressive and Cokanasiga was a highlight too.

Obviously negatives Daly doesn't work at 15, Slade didn't really take his chance at 13 and set piece has been dodgy all series. But positives outweigh the negatives imo.

My 2019 RWC 31 man squad currently would be
1. Vunipola, Genge, Moon
2. George, Hartley, Cowan-Dickie
3. Sinckler, Cole, Williams
4. Itoje, Ewels
5. Lawes, Launchbury
6. Wilson, Underhill
7. Curry, Simmonds
8. Bunipola,
9. Youngs, Wigglesworth, Care
10. Ford, Farrell,
11. May, Nowell
12. Te'o,
13. Manu, Daly
14. Cokasigna,
15. Brown, Watson

Right well before we go to WC squads, I reckon we need a good showing in the 6N's and put last year behind us. This is my starting team, though I haven't completely committed in a couple of positions.

1. Genge (If fit and comes back with some form)
2. George (He will be No.1 and we know what Hartley brings, let him get some experience)
3. Sinckler (Really improved after S.A)
4. Itoje (If he cuts out the silly penalties and improves in the line out a bit more he really will be world class, but Retallick showed him up)
5. This one I honestly think depends on opposition and who is in form as Lawes, Kruis and Launchbury all offer something different. I reckon you have to look at the opposition here and who they will pick. For me this is a great situation if all are fit because we can adapt our game with different players for each opponent.
6. Underhill (He's fantastic in defence puts the opposition under pressure.)
7. Curry (We need more turnovers in more competitive games and he needs some experience before the world cup)
8. Wilson (Played fantastically and I think we need to give Billy a rest to really recover before the world cup)
9. Youngs (Not much choice really)
10. Ford (I don't want Te'o near the team at the moment and so Faz to 12 and Ford back at 10)
11. May (He's one of the best wingers in the world right now)
12. Farrell (Hope he learns how to wrap his arms, but he does bring out the best in this team and without Hartley we need someone who can captain.)
13. Joseph (If he's back then he strengthens our defence and has the ability to make good breaks.)
14. Cokanasiga (Taken his opportunities, Nowell for me is too slow for a winger and should be in midfield)
15. Brown (We need that stability and no one else has stood up to replace him.)

16. Hartley (Again no other real option who has played their way into contention. Taylor or LCD train as back up potentially)
17. Vunipola (Harsh on Moon, he's definitely in the squad)
18. Williams (Cole just gives away too many penalties and his strengths don't make up for his weaknesses.)
19. Lawes/Kruis/Launchbury (again depending on who the opposition is or who is in form. Ewels unlucky, but it's such a competitive position)
20. Shields (He stepped up against Australia, but I think others have had a better Autumn overall. Too soon for Mercer, though he looked good at times. Hughes should not be near the team at the moment.)
21. I honestly don't know...I wanted Robson, but seems he ****** in Eddies water bottle. Care is too inconsistent right now and while Wigglesworth is playing well, he is getting on.
22. Tuilagi (If he stays fit and can get some real form back, then he may be the piece of the puzzle to help England break the gainline and open up sides. However we don't want to break him.)
23. Daly (He's a great player, but he's not stand out at the moment in any one position. However he's a hell of a utility back to bring on.)

I don't know how to feel about the autumn.

We've given some very good players a chance, given some poor ones too many chances - some genuinely embarrassing play mixed with some pretty good.

Fairly happy with the tour.
May has carried on his form as one of the best wingers in world rugby IMO.
Underhill has gotten through the series uninjured and shown the type of form he had last time he played for England.
Sinckler finishing with the form he had during the lions tour.

I think we have develop some depth in positions we needed.
With Moon stepping up it has helped the blow of Marler.
Cokasigna gives us a genuine power option on the wing.
Wilson has proved a to be at least a decent international 8, a position he really isn't that used to IMO.
Ewels has put serious pressure on the lock options IMO having great impact in every game.
Manu did something.

Some question marks on
Daly as a 15
Slade as a 13
Both shown some very good things and some very poor things.

Then the players who really haven't done much but as you say keep getting played.
Shields
Te'o

My 2019 RWC 31 man squad currently would be
1. Vunipola, Genge, Moon
2. George, Hartley, Cowan-Dickie
3. Sinckler, Cole, Williams
4. Itoje, Ewels
5. Lawes, Launchbury
6. Wilson, Underhill
7. Curry, Simmonds
8. Bunipola,
9. Youngs, Wigglesworth, Care
10. Ford, Farrell,
11. May, Nowell
12. Te'o,
13. Manu, Daly
14. Cokasigna,
15. Brown, Watson

Honestly I don't want Te'o anywhere near the squad based on the AI's. He's done very little for so much faith from Eddie. I'd Have Joseph or Slade in there, who I know are both 13's, but England have shown their midfield can be fluid. Also thought Shields was far better against Aus and if he shows that form consistently he would challenge Simmonds' place in the squad.

Honestly I don't want Te'o anywhere near the squad based on the AI's. He's done very little for so much faith from Eddie. I'd Have Joseph or Slade in there, who I know are both 13's, but England have shown their midfield can be fluid. Also thought Shields was far better against Aus and if he shows that form consistently he would challenge Simmonds' place in the squad.

I just don't see Eddie dropping him. Not many other proper 12 options.

Hartley is one of my first names on the sheet, tbh. This series showed his importance both as a player and a captain.

Moon has been my find of the series. Not saying he's been the best player in an England shirt but to come in as like 6th choice LH, having many (including me) wondering how we got to the point where he was getting the nod, he has been excellent.

Right well before we go to WC squads, I reckon we need a good showing in the 6N's and put last year behind us. This is my starting team, though I haven't completely committed in a couple of positions.

1. Genge (If fit and comes back with some form)
2. George (He will be No.1 and we know what Hartley brings, let him get some experience)
3. Sinckler (Really improved after S.A)
4. Itoje (If he cuts out the silly penalties and improves in the line out a bit more he really will be world class, but Retallick showed him up)
5. This one I honestly think depends on opposition and who is in form as Lawes, Kruis and Launchbury all offer something different. I reckon you have to look at the opposition here and who they will pick. For me this is a great situation if all are fit because we can adapt our game with different players for each opponent.
6. Underhill (He's fantastic in defence puts the opposition under pressure.)
7. Curry (We need more turnovers in more competitive games and he needs some experience before the world cup)
8. Wilson (Played fantastically and I think we need to give Billy a rest to really recover before the world cup)
9. Youngs (Not much choice really)
10. Ford (I don't want Te'o near the team at the moment and so Faz to 12 and Ford back at 10)
11. May (He's one of the best wingers in the world right now)
12. Farrell (Hope he learns how to wrap his arms, but he does bring out the best in this team and without Hartley we need someone who can captain.)
13. Joseph (If he's back then he strengthens our defence and has the ability to make good breaks.)
14. Cokanasiga (Taken his opportunities, Nowell for me is too slow for a winger and should be in midfield)
15. Brown (We need that stability and no one else has stood up to replace him.)

16. Hartley (Again no other real option who has played their way into contention. Taylor or LCD train as back up potentially)
17. Vunipola (Harsh on Moon, he's definitely in the squad)
18. Williams (Cole just gives away too many penalties and his strengths don't make up for his weaknesses.)
19. Lawes/Kruis/Launchbury (again depending on who the opposition is or who is in form. Ewels unlucky, but it's such a competitive position)
20. Shields (He stepped up against Australia, but I think others have had a better Autumn overall. Too soon for Mercer, though he looked good at times. Hughes should not be near the team at the moment.)
21. I honestly don't know...I wanted Robson, but seems he ****** in Eddies water bottle. Care is too inconsistent right now and while Wigglesworth is playing well, he is getting on.
22. Tuilagi (If he stays fit and can get some real form back, then he may be the piece of the puzzle to help England break the gainline and open up sides. However we don't want to break him.)
23. Daly (He's a great player, but he's not stand out at the moment in any one position. However he's a hell of a utility back to bring on.)
The only thing is do differently to this is swap JJ and Manu; whilst not giving up on Billy just yet.Hartley would start a crunch game as well.

For the 6N though, I'd be getting game into the back row you've put, with Billy terrorising defences off the bench; and equally, get as much game-time as possible into Cokanasiga, and Daly at FB.

Watson surely is the best option at FB when he's fit. Brown has got much better for not playing, but we were moaning about him for good reason when he was starting, we're now moaning about Daly for equally good reason. Watson offers more than either for my money.

Watson surely is the best option at FB when he's fit. Brown has got much better for not playing, but we were moaning about him for good reason when he was starting, we're now moaning about Daly for equally good reason. Watson offers more than either for my money.
If only he could get as much club-level game-time at FB as Daly did. Then we'd know for sure if we could take the risk at international level.

Personally though, I'd be starting 10 Ford, 11 May, 12 Farrell, 13 Tuilagi, 14 Cokanasiga.
I want a FB who is defensively solid as a rock behind them all have their... issues in defence, and all of them different ones.
It'd then be between Daly and Watson for the 23 shirt

Very strongly disagree with the people who are suggesting Shields hasn't been at least "good", I think the back-row as a unit has worked incredibly well, and has without a doubt been the biggest improvement we've seen in the team this series.

In fact, I'd be reluctant to change it whatsoever for the time being. Billy on the bench please.

If our scrum works as well as it did today with Lawes and Itoje (and that's a big if), then I'm pretty happy with how that's going.

Last edited:

Latest posts