• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Wales - 06/08/2011 - RWC Warm Up

Then you could have Vainikolo on one wing and Delon on the other and you'd be laughing! ;)
You know it
Joe Simpson at 9, Waldrom and Fourie in the backrow
Hartley and Stevens in the front row

Bang tidy.

Did know one hear about Worsley, Waldrom, Strettle, JSD and Chuter being cut.

Who remembers the last time Gavin Henson went up against a young English #13?

See cyRils avatar if you've forgotten ;)
Wonder if that'll happen again? :p

Honestly, that looks more like Henson is sexually molesting him, then attempting to kidnap him rather than make a tackle.

Right, people didn't seem to realise it shame on me being so lazy.

How confident are you feeling about Englands chances Olyy? Not just about the warm up but the world cup in general.

I saw Ashton and Foden posing in the new kits on TV and have to say Ashton looked battered, and we know Courtney Lawes and various others have been injured during training. It might sound odd but Im really happy about this. I know nothing turns you into a better team than getting beasted and beasting each other like that for weeks. Nothing can bring you to test intensity like a test game but hopefully they've gotten close.

I really don't know - It's either going to be really good, or pretty bad
Tindall and Moody have said Johnson has been running the camps the way that Woodward led them into the 2003 WC, which can only be a good thing
I think the trial games they did were a great idea - Gets them to try out combinations and get real match fitness, while it still being training
Also gets Johnson to see who's good on the pitch not just in the gym etc.

I'm really excited about the warmups, suppose we'll know after the Ireland match what our chances will be (hopefully we get a win over Ireland, God knows we've waited long enough - They're the England to our France :p )

Yeah, I see what you mean about Jonno being like Woodward. No stone left unturned with all this GPS technology and even getting Mclaren statistical experts in. Of course he'll be doing it in his own Jonno way (seriously looking forward to his reactions in the stands - throwing radios about, punching the seat etc). But we all know (the all blacks especially know) that one great team can bomb out after one performance thats not quite enough.

I understand completley when it comes to Ireland. Why can we not just notch one up on them? Slippery little green men are not good for us :/

I personally think we'll get to the Semi's after taking France out of the Quarters in a tight match. Semi's against Australia is anyones guess. They'll obviously be the favourites which means alot of Aussie sports personalities will harp on about how they are going to 'put more than 30 points on us' (actual quote from an Aussie player in 2007). Wether they will have extra motivation from losing back to back will be interesting, a third successive world cup defeat to England will mean every self respecting Aussie man will have to kill themselves. All in all, we definatley have what it takes to progress to the finals through that path, wether we do is another matter entirely.

Aye, as you said, once you're out of the groups anything could happen - To bring up 2007 yet again, who would've expected England to reach the final after that group stage?
Madness
Going to make for a tense September :lol:

well considering who's now been dropped from the squad, I'd like to see (for future reference AOTP does not mean hip hop supergroup Army of the Pharoahs, but Already On The Plane):

1. Corbisiero (Sheridan AOTP)
2. Hartley
3. Stevens (Cole AOTP)
4. Botha (don't really think he should be in the squad, but we know all about Shaw)
5. Palmer
6. Robshaw
7. Wood (AOTP)
8. Haskell (Easter AOTP)
9. Simpson (Youngs AOTP)
10. Flood (needs some form back)
11. Monye (Cueto AOTP)
12. Flutey
13. Tuilagi
14. Sharples (Ashton AOTP)
15. Armitage (Foden AOTP)

16. Mears
17. Wilson
18. Deacon
19. Croft
20. Wigglesworth
21. Hodgson
22. Banahan (so he can come on and get injured)

The reason you can't beat Ireland is that it always means more to Ireland. This is a fact for the team England is the team to beat with so much history. I know it's not the same in England or even all of Ireland but it's the match the players want to win most. Apparently last time PO'C speach brought tears to the eyes of a few players Trimbles' name is the only one I know.

It also helps that we're better.;)

More like O'Connell punched him

He wouldn't have the ability to cry if that happens. Also I don't think that the reason for Ireland winning is that they're ''up for it'' that didn't work pre 2000, Ireland do usually play their best against England and at their best they've better than England the last 7 years. It's England's problem if they can't get up for an International match and they are up for most of them sothats not it.

it's a mixture of the two.

Ireland, Scotland and Wales always have the ability to produce their best performances against England. It's not a coincidence. Which is why, at times when England on paper and form are a vastly superior team, our Celtic rivals can produce the upset, eg. 1999 Wales, 2000 Scotland, 2001 Ireland etc. etc. None of these upsets occur with the tri nations, do they?

Ireland's recent dominance is partly that, but more to do with the fact that since 2004 Ireland have simply been a better team - in fact, the generation of BOD, ROG, POC etc. has always had the ability to be one of the world's better teams. So even when England are better, like this year's 6N, the Irish had the ability in them to be fired up enough (probably by the prospect of spoiling England's party) enough to completely blow away a good team.

I wouldn't be that confident of the Irish, they beat a bad playing England team, who's 2 key players were out of form since the middle of the 6N. No doubt they have some great players, but I think if they meet in NZ England will win.

I read something the other day that England might only take Youngs and Care to New Zealand and use a combination of Foden (who played a fair bit of Scrumhalf before being a fulltime fullback) and Flutey (never seen him play scrumhalf in my life? Maybe he did it in the ITM cup back in the day or something) to cover in case of emergency

This would be insane

It's a bit of doubled edged sword with Youngs being injured - he's going to have had a long time with no rugby going into the group stage, however it means Joe Simpson is guaranteed game time during the warm ups - Hopefully he shows some of the form he has showed during the Aviva, because he's been cracking
Also can play wing pretty well, so worth a spot on the plane, imo :p

I'd be tempted to start him in this match, and then bring Care on if things start going ***s up

Not if Ireland can play like they did in the 6n the England team IMO doesn't have the experience to cope with that sort of attack, although England unlike Ireland up their game at world cups so it would be a game that could go either way. Ireland would go in favorites with most bookies I'd think. I'd love to see that match in a WC as well.

Ah, you never know
England were missing first and second choice captains for the 6N match - both of whom are fit now
I don't think experience would have anything to do with it - it'd just interesting to see the two teams going against each other again
(though preferably with Matt-fking-Banahan at 13 - he was shocking in that match)
Flood-Youngs were both poor in that match: Youngs won't be playing this one, and Flood could well be replaced by Wilko or Hodgson (if only to test them out)

Latest posts