• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Ireland vs New Zealand 24/11/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst thing is so much effort went into 79 minutes and 40 seconds to stay in the lead only to end up losing. People will look back on the record books and simply see another NZ win. The atmosphere and performances on the field will be forgotten. We were close in 2012 but I can't remember the performance all too well. To have that taken away in the last 20 seconds is heart breaking because of that. My next worry is that this is just another backs to the wall Irish performance. We've seen too many of those and now we need consistency. Something that O'Connell talked about in his interview. We have seen these one off big performances before to only go back to average rugby. Attrition is something that needs to be addressed probably. Teams from the SH can perform at that level consistently throughout the year but up in the NH we get the odd performance that everyone goes crazy over. The Six Nations will be very interesting to see whether Ireland are really on their way back up or if it was just another out of the blue performance.

So guys, what have we learned today?? Conrad Smith is the best player around the world

;)

FWIW, George Hook was great value on RTE post match.
My question is this; was that the start of a new era for Ireland, or a very gutsy performance but not necessarily the new norm?

Aww man!!

The Irish was soo close! Snatching defeat out of the jaws of Victory. Every team must from now on wear green against the All Blacks! That's the only way to challenge them and possibly beat them...

Anyways, guys, relax, and remember this thread when you vote for SH poster of the year next year...

I don't think Schmidt's team selection was ideal, but he was vindicated by the performance of every player he picked. There is no way you can say Ireland would have won if Tuohy had started. Toner had a good game, as did McCarthy when he came on. Hopefully Tuohy will get a look in for the Six Nations.

I'm going to get a big ****ing aromatic duck now. Really crispy. Should soften the this crushing blow through the medium of delectable morsels of the east.

I'd nearly head up to the big smoke and go on the lash as I'm sure it's going to be a loose one.

My question is this; was that the start of a new era for Ireland, or a very gutsy performance but not necessarily the new norm?

As always, at least he makes you laugh when all you want to do is cry!

We can only hope it's not the latter but it's incredible what difference one good performance can make.

Ugh, I think me, Johnny Cash and half of Ireland will be tossing and turning tonight imagining what could have been if that kick had gone over.

It's Schmidt time baby.
I'm not even upset. The key to happiness is so simple. Look at this.
http://galadarling.com/article/100-things-to-do-when-youre-upset-the-sad-trombone-list
That's what happens when you google "things to make you happy when you're sad". Whose up for a slumber party?

Last edited:
Ireland the brave. That's twice now they came critically close in two years against the no.1 side. Like I said, I'm glad Ireland took a beating against Australia, it made them react. All teams need this every once in a while, and I'm glad it happened to them a week prior. And they came out as I thought: focused, and with nothing to lose, so confident and not too nervous. No I didn't think they'd score 3 straight tries in 20minutes :p !

New Zealand have been magnificent this year, I've emphasized this countless times now. But out of their entire year, they looked the most vulnerable in Europe by far:
threatened to draw in Paris with a determined scrum some meters away from the line, subjected to white waves of rucks in Twickenham and a huge comeback to see their lead taken for another 1-digit win, and finally the scare of their year with this.

Things are looking bright, bright, bright for Ireland. I didn't think they had that defense in them, and that attack sure wasn't too bad either :)
That match was a delight, and with England having a good year, France starting to establish firmly, Wales the double reigning champs and Scotland showing good form in parts this year the 6N looks wiiiiide open !

...yeh fk Italy this year.

When asked if he's feeling more positive after last week's loss, he said:

I think you're positive when you win test matches.......I don't think that we can be accepting of narrow losses or nearly wins.

That's why Ireland will be on the right track with this coach. To hell with moral victories, let's back ourselves to beat top teams. Ireland blew it today. Perhaps they lacked belief in the second half. One area New Zealand are superior to all other sides is in their mindset. They don't accept second best.

See, that's the difference between your coach and our former one, who was more than pleased to be moral winners.

The difference between the sides? Devin Toner starting instead of Dan Tuohy.

Absolutely true, was going to make the self-same point myself, Tuohy would never have given away one of the cheapest penalties of all time five yards from his own white line. Three points there and then iirc, game winning margin ;)

Schmidt is some coach but he's just one voice in the collective and the voice of him and the coaches will always to an extent be drowned out by the 23 guys on the pitch. That's far from the only big game they've blown at the last in recent times. I think Schmidt is going to need a significant infusion of new blood for a new era.

There is no way you can say Ireland would have won if Tuohy had started. Toner had a good game, as did McCarthy when he came on. Hopefully Tuohy will get a look in for the Six Nations.
Whoosh!

My post is in response to all the claims of Leinster bias aimed at the coach in the wake of the team announcement. Toner over Tuohy and D'arcy over Marshall were the two mains ones. There was also the Dave Kearney over Trimble selection which proved a pro-Leinster and anti-Ulster bias. That Ulster's Rory Best started over Leinster's Sean Cronin was conveniently forgotten.

I'm rapt O'Driscol will retire having lost every game against us.

Last edited:
Oh right, my apologies, I am responding to posts in this thread with absolutely no context, having only read page 13 onwards of this thread. I guess i proved your point rather spectacularly!

Whoosh!

My post is in response to all the claims of Leinster bias aimed at the coach in the wake of the team announcement. Toner over Tuohy and D'arcy over Marshall were the two mains ones. There was also the Dave Kearney over Trimble selection which proved a pro-Leinster and anti-Ulster bias. That Ulster's Rory Best started over Leinster's Sean Cronin was conveniently forgotten.

Wait, what? In what corner of creation was that a remotely contentious call?

Whoosh!

Listen, I don't think the majority of Ulster fans will even suggest we would have won if calls went their way, myself included. Would I have changed any of the lineup? Probably. Would it have made a difference? Doubtful. Let's not start arguments or try to take the high ground here.

Man, what an awesome performance by the Irish...I thought that the ABs will trash them by at least 20...

Anyway, I think that Barrett really changed the pace for the ABs, Dagg was not surprinsingly mediocre today, he has been in a poor form since the NH tour begun.

P.S. Someone said earlier that any other sugby nation would have wanted Ireland to win this game, I guess that it's not true for Romanai anyway :)

Wait, what? In what corner of creation was that a remotely contentious call?
I'm not saying it was a contentious call. I'm saying an Ulster player was chosen over a Leinster player so how could there be anti-Ulster bias?

Listen, I don't think the majority of Ulster fans will even suggest we would have won if calls went their way, myself included. Would I have changed any of the lineup? Probably. Would it have made a difference? Doubtful. Let's not start arguments or try to take the high ground here.
Exactly what I'm saying. Provincial rivalry is bull**** in an Ireland context. I want the best team selected regardless of provincial allegiance. I'm sure the coach is doing the same. He picked Toner over Tuohy, for example, because he thought it was the better call. I happen to agree with that but disagree with the decision to pick D'arcy over Marshall. Some posters, primarily on another forum, use these decisions as a blatant sign of Schmidt's bias. It's nonsense.

New Zealand have been magnificent this year, I've emphasized this countless times now. But out of their entire year, they looked the most vulnerable in Europe by far:
threatened to draw in Paris with a determined scrum some meters away from the line, subjected to white waves of rucks in Twickenham and a huge comeback to see their lead taken for another 1-digit win, and finally the scare of their year with this.

That's very true, but one may note that they are basically at the end of their rugby season, whereas the NH players are in the exact opposite position...

I'm not saying it was a contentious call. I'm saying an Ulster player was chosen over a Leinster player so how could there be anti-Ulster bias?

Exactly what I'm saying. Provincial rivalry is bull**** in an Ireland context. I want the best team selected regardless of provincial allegiance. I'm sure the coach is doing the same. He picked Toner over Tuohy, for example, because he thought it was the better call. I happen to agree with that but disagree with the decision to pick D'arcy over Marshall. Some posters, primarily on another forum, use these decisions as a blatant sign of Schmidt's bias. It's nonsense.

I'm taking that point of view because there is absolutely nothing else the Irish team could have done more, and the fact that he had a very good performance today. Any other day I still would have had Tuohy over him, because ultimately I think he provides a better platform at the scrum and has superior ball carrying. HOWEVER, what I'm getting at is that it would have made no difference on the outcome of today's game.

And on the Best - Cronin thing; that's like saying because Kidney had at least 1 Leinster and Ulster player in his team there wasn't a Munster bias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts