• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Ireland vs New Zealand 24/11/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
what a game, hiss and a roar from the Irish at the start. I don't think many teams would have been able to come back from that but the AB's have done it before and they did it again.

In the end the Irish did have a chance to seal the game and didn't take it. They left the door open and the All Blacks were happy to take it after a massive 2nd half. that final couple minutes were maybe the best rugby all season. a stint on defense then a tactical running multi-play effort all the way up field finishing with a try well after the 80th min.

That final conversion will be talked about but to me it shows the Irish did not do proper homework on Cruden. He shuffles and pauses before he kicks but a shuffle is not a forward movement towards the ball. You cannot charge untill the kicker advances towards the ball.

Ben Smith had a big game, so did Read - going to he hard to pick the IRB player of the year but really it should be one of these guys.

The Bench was critical. barrett, Messam, Coles, Crotty, Ben Franks all featured in a big way in the 2nd half, again you would have to say that was the difference again.

Man what a game, worth getting up at 5am to watch :)

I remember when Ireland smashed England and spoilt a grand slam in the process a few years ago. I told myself 'well, they'd have beaten anyone playing like that', kinda proved it today. If they had kept up the tempo they would have won comfortably. I think New Zealand should be worried by how close they have come to defeat in their past three games.

I'm not saying it was a contentious call. I'm saying an Ulster player was chosen over a Leinster player so how could there be anti-Ulster bias?

You and I have different definitions of bias. Picking no-brainer players from the three main provinces is not proof of a lack of bias to me. Consistently going to one province in tight selection calls suggests bias could be there. I don't think anyone is suggesting Schmidt is picking Leinster players irregardless of the national team's good. I think there's a possibility his idea of what players are right is being influenced by his time as Leinster coach, either conciously or unconciously, and I think that constitutes bias if right. Don't want to get overboard, see what happens, but it isn't pleasing.

Irish got away with murder at the breakdown. That was the only reason the Irish got anywhere near the All Blacks. Any time the All Blacks got into the Irish 22 they'd slow it down, play off their feet, or put hands in the ruck. Nigel Owens warned and warned them yet never dug into his pocket.

this, glad someone else said it I hate always being the one *****ing about the refs lol.

still a great effort from the Irish though.

You expect to get games where the ref seems against you, like this week and last for the All Blacks. I think the thing about this All Black side is that they still win a lot of those games, definitely more and more of them over the last 4 years or so.

this, glad someone else said it I hate always being the one *****ing about the refs lol.

still a great effort from the Irish though.

You expect to get games where the ref seems against you, like this week and last for the All Blacks. I think the thing about this All Black side is that they still win a lot of those games, definitely more and more of them over the last 4 years or so.
To be fair I reckon both teams were as bad on the floor , McCaw was his usual self on the floor and we were slowed down massively. Indeed a hand in the pocket could have come out a few times.

I think Ireland deserves a little uhm...

IRELAND !!! IRELAND !! IRELAND !!! IRELAND !!!!!!!!!!!!

...yeah, probably due.
What a fkn classic, maaaassive respect to Ireland. Such a pleasure to watch, I want to watch that first half over again.

Last edited:
Wow Ireland. SO clsoe guys. Just saw the HLs this morning. And wow.

First the Kiwis and Shaun Johnson and now the All Blacks.

I remember when Ireland smashed England and spoilt a grand slam in the process a few years ago. I told myself 'well, they'd have beaten anyone playing like that', kinda proved it today. If they had kept up the tempo they would have won comfortably. I think New Zealand should be worried by how close they have come to defeat in their past three games.

To be fair I think they will just be proud they managed to get the perfect season. Its more than 6 months until their next game so these results count for not much next season. They probably know themselves they have played progressively worse this tour. Its the end of a long season, they deserve to celebrate. Next season they will be fresh ready for the next challenge, back to back perfect seasons. First challenge will be the consecutive wins record probably.

Ireland congratulations on the performance. I know most would take an ugly win over a glorious defeat but still that was a good effort.
The Aussie game was a bit sad but each side of it there were two terrific performances. I expected Samoa to challenge Ireland and they were thrashed. This game was meant to be a thrashing, yet the upset nearly happened. I'd say it would be considered the upset of the year if you ask me.

Aussie is definitely a team on the up, look out next year. Argentina might take a bit longer then some expected to get their first win in TRC. I said it wouldn't be in the first 5 years and got laughed at on this site. 2 years down and they look like there further off the pace to be honest.

Last edited:
*peeks in...based on the amount of cursing assumes NZ won...gives Ireland a consolatory pat on the back...checks to see if any Ireland/NH fans are looking...does happy dance...runs away*

das

I did not expect that from the Irish. Good game you guys had us done for 79 minutes. I thought the worse I was already ready to give my congrats you stopped history but made your own history speech. But alas we won. I know you dont want moral victories but that was one hell of a turn around in a week. If you produce that in the 6 nations its gonna be one hell of a tournament.

Been a while since I posted here but there you go. Was at the game today, first of all hats off to the All Blacks, to go through a calendar year unbeaten shows what a class act they are and to do so in a final game scenario where 19 points down was even more impressive. Thankfully from an Irish perspective there was a massive improvement today and an intensity in play that will hopefully be carried forward to the 6 Nations and beyond. I've never experienced an atmosphere like it at an Irish game, that last 3 minutes of a position of utter euphoria to sheer devastation will stay with me for a long time. So many players today stood up and accounted for themselves today and it's certainly not like me to try and take the positives out of a defeat, we lost after all, but **** it that was a savage effort from the team and needs to be recognised. Last week was an embarrassing performance but thankfully that was put right today, just hope Schmidt et al don't rest on their laurels and kick on and build from this performance.

Feel so gutted for you Irish posters :( What a fantastic match, and an inspirational performance by Ireland. I'm eating my words from earlier in the thread, I gave the Irish no chance. I'll keep my gob shut on such matters in the future :p

I know from years of supporting Wales how terrible these sorts of results feel, and I'm sure my fellow Wales fans would agree. It's just cruel. Never despair, the six nations is round the corner and if Ireland can keep that intensity up it's going to be one hell of a tournament! :)

*peeks in...based on the amount of cursing assumes NZ won...gives Ireland a consolatory pat on the back...checks to see if any Ireland/NH fans are looking...does happy dance...runs away*

It would have been so much better if you hadn't made that comment......sooooooooooo much better...:p

Will Ireland carry this performance into the Six Nations or was it a one off because of who they were playing? Teams always seem to step it up against New Zealand.

Got to say, Sean O'Brien has impressed me so so much the past year or so.
I was a big fan when he first burst onto the scene as a 6/8, but when they started shoving him in at 7 his form dropped, his weight dropped, and he just wasn't very effective.
He's got the perfect balance now though - great work at the break down (outplayed McCaw today) and physicality to match with the best of them.
Probably the form 7 in the NH at the moment - outstanding.

Will Ireland carry this performance into the Six Nations or was it a one off because of who they were playing? Teams always seem to step it up against New Zealand.

of course they will ! Just look at England last year, they beat NZ and then...uhm.
:p

Why stop at professional era? Or outside back?

Personally I think Brian O'Driscoll is better than any person New Zealand has produced ever.

Was I trying to get a rise? Sure. I wish I was more sensitive to your very emotional state. Sorry.
As it is - you can't keep making personal attacks at members, there were some very frequent ones at PD on another thread. There is no procedure - and frankly I'm perfectly comfortable with telling you in a thread as being sworn at is really not on - especially when I was making a remark about a player and not a member. PM me if you wish to discuss it further.

Nick, it is out of line to admit you were trying to get a rise out of people and then threaten a ban when you get it, the best way to have avoided this would be to not have tried to wind people up

have to admit i would not have been too gutted if Ireland had won, a "perfect season" doesn't actually mean anything but the first win over the AB's would have been massive!, hope that didn't sounds too arrogant

good work ireland, hope you learnt how to beat us from this and bring it to the next game...will be great to watch

Ireland don't!!! Your guess is as good as mine, I'd trust Schmidt is the man to take Ireland from being great players who can achieve great results to being a great team though and I think we'll need to beat the All Blacks under his reign because once Schmidt becomes the All Blacks coach they'll never lose!

It'll take a lot to cheer me up after today rugbywise but beating your lot twice in the next few weeks will be a good start. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts