• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Ireland vs New Zealand 24/11/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
congrats to NZ and commiserations to Ireland. Good to see they took it to them but unfortunately couldn't close out the game.

I hope link makes the Wallabies watch this game over and over again and then asks them, do they want to be an Ireland or do they want to be a New Zealand? It's a good way to teach someone that nothing is impossible, even though it may seem that way.

just going through this thread and saw this and had to add:

Thanks for that Flukey but no need to explain as Darwin has already done so. I do however appreciate your comments mate. All good.

Im just saying, Frueans point of view might be different. With players leaving for overseas while they're still hot, it shouldnt be surprising if Fruean goes too. That was my real point and was just throwing that out there cos its possible.

Anyway back to the game.

Very gutted and dissapointed for the Irish. Why cant the All Blacks just lose this one game? ARGH!!
Ireland can definitely hold their heads up high, they played fantastic Rugby and that game did wonders for Rugby Union. Entertaining stuff from both sides, I would have like to see Ireland walk away with the win but instead the ABs will be putting a zero under their L for 2013.

Good on the blacks, good season and they're just good. I was really wrapt to see Crotty score that last try. Crottys a very good player who had to sit on the bench when SBW came to the Crusaders, the thing is, at that time I felt Crotty was really in good nick. Hes had to overcome that and I just think its great that it was he that scored the winner thanks to Coles off load.

Great Rugby.

Have to say this All Blacks team showed what character they have. This was THE perfect way to get their 100% record for 2013: being outplayed but still finding a way to win. They may not be the best international team so far in rugby history; for me they will have to defend their world ***le to earn this accolade, but they are on their way. The squad they are building so far really reminds me of the one England built to win the 2003 WC: a mixture of youth and experience. Only time will tell if this team will surpass all others before them.

That is a hard comment eh, because half the team will be different by the time the world cup comes around, so it isn't really the same side. In so far as you can judge a group of players, the AB group this year has to be up there. Which group has been better in the pro era?

What ... a ... game

That is what rugby is all about, the Irish were flying at everything! So fired up for the game. I won't denigrate the Irish performance by saying the AB's didn't have a great game, I thought this was two good teams going at it. The mental fortitude of the AB's to score THAT try in overtime ... unbelievable.

Alot of people have been saying if the Irish can maintain that form and intensity they would win the six nations, and I agree. But I would say, is it physically possible to play five games of rugby on the trot like that? Look at the toll it took on both sides.

Fantastic game, bravo both teams.

Hmm I'm not sure Blindside, Ireland historically haven't raised their game against the AB's. We normally do it when our backs are against the wall after a poor performance, regardless of the opposition. I think Ireland's forward beasting of the AB's, at least at the breakdown, was far more comprehensive than England's last year. England's backline tore the AB's apart last year, and Ireland's couldn't this year. That was the main difference.

Pretty much where England were last year when they lost two games in a row v Australia and SA. They had their backs to the wall and produced the memorable performance of the year v the ABs. I would say the England pack also beasted the NZ like Ireland did today in the first half and then in the 2nd half the English back line finished the ABs off. The English back line could not do that without their forward pack. But yeah agree the Irish back line just did not do enough; certainly lacked a Tuilagi in your back line. That Sexton missed pen and conversion ultimately cost Ireland the match.

Does that mean ABs should get rid of Read, McCaw because of being outplayed today? I doubt it. Steven Luatua played today and I can see now why Hansen prefers Messam in the big games; because of his better breakdown work. Don't forget the ABs have Jerome Kaino to return next year and it will be interesting to see if he can recapture the form he produced in 2011. I think the point I'm making is that the ABs have faced a lot of teams who play out of their skin in one off matches because they can outplay them at the breakdown e.g. France in 2007 RWC and 2011 RWC final, England 2012 and now Ireland yesterday. It's why in one off matches I.e. WC knockout matches the ABs have struggled because they are a victim of their own success by really bringing out extraordinary performances from the teams they face; an extra focus, pride or fear factor not to be thrashed by All Blacks.

Last edited:
To be fair Ireland effectively threw that away.

You were extremely lucky.

This is the kind of garbage that tells me you know nothing about rugby at all.
That AB squad has been playing top level rugby non-stop since February, with hardly any breaks. They have endured huge travelling and played the most sapping games against South Africa, home and away, that the rugby calendar has to offer. They came up to the northern hemisphere to fulfil the annual treasury revenue gathering autumn international obligations (so that we can afford to keep our players from being poached by the likes of Japan, France and England) when they are at their lowest ebb and we have to endure endless slights about being lucky or being unfairly advantaged by the northern hemisphere referees etc ad infinitum.
It's just sour grapes from sore losers who can't offer any graciousness in defeat.
The Irish team were excellent today.
They were 10 times better than England at Twickenham where the Poms were given an arm and a leg back into that game by the egotistical Craig Joubert.
Ireland played with heart and passion and they really took it to the All Blacks.
I can't believe this is the same team that played like such a bunch of weak willed fairies against Australia.
Why couldn't you play like demons against Aussie as well as us?
That was the best display I have ever seen from Ireland.
The intensity, the passion, really brave performance, shame for Sexton missing his kick, it was easy but he took too long and bottled it and now the die hards will be clamouring to bring back that choker Ronan O'Gara. Sexton is better than that, he'll come good.
19 points to NIL.
I still can't believe that performance by Ireland in the 1st half.
Trouble is the likes of Kearney etc were coming off the field at half time gesticulating and roaring for the camera like they had won the game, crowing and beating their chests. Yeah thats all good stuff AFTER the game is over and you're in front on the scoreboard. But doing it at half time when there is a long 40 minutes of the harder stuff ahead is not the time to do it.
Keep the passion within and store it up for the second half because the job wasn't finished.
Ireland could have broken their duck against New Zealand in that game but they thought it was in the bag at half time and looked beyond the 80 minutes.
The AB's never changed their tack, they kept their heads down and clawed their way back into the game and eventually stifled Ireland out of it by playing high speed but at times low precision rugby.
The All Blacks looked tired in the first half and they had to dig deep to fill in that 19 point hole but what a team that can do that, away from home in front of an awesome roaring crowd and to come from that far back to salvage a win, that was miraculous.
Hats off to Ireland, they were beaten by a team that NEVER says die.
Looking forward to seeing England visit Aotearoa in the New year, it will be their first visit to NZ for 11 years, which is a ridiculously long time frame. Be nice to see a fresh All Black team play against England for a change while England's player will be at the end of a long season for them.
Be nice to gauge the respective efforts.

That is a hard comment eh, because half the team will be different by the time the world cup comes around, so it isn't really the same side. In so far as you can judge a group of players, the AB group this year has to be up there. Which group has been better in the pro era?

For me it's a continuation. I think you will see the vast majority of this squad in 2015; probably not Andrew Hore, but certainly McCaw, Woodcock, Carter, Nonu, Conrad Smith, if they are fit. The big picture is RWC 2015.

Been a while since I posted here but there you go. Was at the game today, first of all hats off to the All Blacks, to go through a calendar year unbeaten shows what a class act they are and to do so in a final game scenario where 19 points down was even more impressive. Thankfully from an Irish perspective there was a massive improvement today and an intensity in play that will hopefully be carried forward to the 6 Nations and beyond.

Ireland was massive! great game of rugby and my heart sank when Ireland was awarded a penalty at 75 minutes but gosh! Sexton missed... my guess is fear just creep in at that moment and the Irish failed close out the game.

nevertheless, Ireland can hold their head up high, it was a brilliant team effort and i thought Healy (the bloke that hates Haka), Heaslip and Murray played really well!

congrats to All Blacks! the never-say-die attitude won the test match, Barrett in my opinion turned the game! :D

I think the 2005 team would go close; Oliver, Jack, McCaw, Carter, C. Smith, Umaga, Rocokoco, Woodcock, Mealamu, Hayman, So'oialo, Mauger, Howlett, McDonald, Marshall, Sivivatu et al (ETA and Jerry Collins of course)

OK, they lost one game away to South Africa, but they started the season with a 3-0 spanking of SCW's much-vaunted British and Irish Lions, won the Tri-Nations through the middle, and finished up the year with a Grand Slam of the Home Nations

Last edited:
Just came up too short again for Ireland. The class of NZ told in the end and maybe the injury list might have been the 1% difference needed.

The first half performance in particular shows Schmidts influence already. Its something to build on for the 6 nations and maybe we might see Schmidt start rebuilding the squad.

yip Barrett was quite superb, threatened with every touch of the ball and was ll over it the time he was on the field.

this is the 3rd or 4th? time Barrett has come off the bench and played a blinder in tests this year.

I don't think that people appreciate what the All Blacks have to face and go through every game. Being 4+points clear top of the IRB rankings and winning game after game, cup after trophy season after season.
What it means is that every team you face throws everything at you, uses unpredictable tactics and pushes the boundaries of the laws too and beyond the limits. For every other team a test against the All Blacks is a chance to make history and because of that they are also the most analyzed and scrutinized team in the game. And all that while being probably the most accessible side in the game for fans and sponsors, because of the brand and the need to raise a lot of cash from overseas to make up for the limited resources within New Zealand to keep players in NZ and not in Europe and Japan where the cash is.
you only need to compare the Irish in this game to the Irish that faced the wallabies last weekend, what was the difference?
And they have to constantly change, the game plan they have that wins games now simply wont win games in 6 months time. They HAVE to change and improve constantly. not just evolve but lead the evolution or even be revolutionary to stay ahead.

All 14 tests in a season won, and 13 of those tests were against the other 5 teams in the top ~6 of the rankings, (Ireland just lost 6th place, now 7th)

I think what they have just accomplished is bigger than a world cup, a world cup basically comes down to winning ~3 specific games every 4 years and someone is guaranteed to win it every time. 4 different teams have done it, 3 of them multiple times

2013 All Blacks are the only time a team has done this in the modern era. Even though all the top teams have a chance to do it every year.

Well said ... moderators are members/posters too ... we don't have to all agree with one another on here, do we ... if we did, there wouldn't be any point in any of us posting ... having differing opinions about players is fine, provided you don't break any defamation laws, being critical of the content of a post is also fine ... making personal attacks on other posters isn't okay in my book.

... I totally understand/have empathy with some members who are feeling a little emotionally raw at the moment - that was so close to a historical win for Ireland, but please, can we stick to remarks about the Rugby?

... anyway, well done Ireland for game you played, and congrats to the All Blacks for the undefeated year

and if Nick comments were about the game then i would agree, he admitted he said something to get a rise and then when he got it the Moderator hat came on and threatened banning, lets not put the cart before the horse, the first problem was Nick "flamming" the irish supporters

That's what makes the ABs such a good team, to be down and be able to score when it matters.

and if Nick comments were about the game then i would agree, he admitted he said something to get a rise and then when he got it the Moderator hat came on and threatened banning, lets not put the cart before the horse, the first problem was Nick "flamming" the irish supporters

I'd respond further to this - but a big point of cmac's complaint was not PMing him, so I won't continue in the public forum.

If you wish to make a complaint in regard to the moderating - talk to any one of the admins.

As it I ask people to remember the context of the original post -

YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Well done Ireland - huge performance. Unlucky.

What heart from the All Blacks though - the number of times I had to leave the room - for that final comeback. Beautiful.

I think everyone, whatever nationality, wanted Ireland to win.

****ing stupid penalty to give away though, and Sexton shouldn't have missed that kick.

I think you'll find there is an island in the Pacific Ocean, that will disagree with you whole heartedly.

Now I need to tune in to see if O'Driscol cries, god I hope he cries.

It was a response to how much I didn't want Ireland to win and really didn't expect anyone to take the remarks so personally, even if it was tounge in cheek. As it is - can we keep on topic about the match - and either report or PM me, cause I'm very over this.

yip Barrett was quite superb, threatened with every touch of the ball and was ll over it the time he was on the field.

this is the 3rd or 4th? time Barrett has come off the bench and played a blinder in tests this year.

Yeah he was fantastic and sometimes it terrifies me! lol He shows absolutely no fear at all, to come off the bench, with the relatively low level of experience he's got, to make those breaks, to catch the high balls under pressure like that ... impressive

Did nobody think of going for a ****ING DROP GOAL... R'OG should have came out of retirement just for that

Still absolutely sick.

Genuinely feel like I'm the victim of some form of assault.

Contrary to almost everyone in here - we deserved to win. We played for 80 minutes and when the final whistle went we had scored more points. Yes, it is sad for Ireland. It looked like they were just trying to close the game out for all of the second half. They needed to show a bit more in that second half rather than just sit on their lead.

I think Ireland's performance was concerning as a NZer. We were absolutely dominated at the breakdown. Mostly this was due to the referee's Northern Hemisphere interpretations when a Southern Hemisphere referee would have blown Ireland off the park. However, we used to be (and McCaw especially) the masters of adapting to suit any referee. I think in certain areas our depth is excellent but in other areas it is really poor (centre, hooker are cases in point). We were unbeaten this season but far from unbeatable.

However, I think we should worry about our weaknesses next season. For me this is probably the greatest All Blacks team of all time. When you think about what they have achieved is greater than winning a World Cup. Four different teams have won the World Cup in the professional era but no one has ever done what this team has. Think about the 2011 World Cup: beating Argentina, Australia and France all at Eden Park. Yes those are tough games and yes there was a lot of pressure. This year, however, we beat Australia 3-0, France 4-0, South Africa 2-0 and won at Stadium Australia, Ellis Park, Twickenham and Stade de France. So many other very good sides and so much great consistency. Really, this team could not have done any better this season. I'm so proud of the boys.

A few observations from that match:

1. Ireland were awesome. Especially Sean O'Brien. He out-McCawed Mcaw.
BUT I felt that perhaps Ireland didn't attack with the same verve in the second half. Though the Irish defence was simply superb.
I was fully prepared to come onto this site this morning and offer my congratulations.

2. Nonu and Dagg were awful. Nonu tripped over his own feet, and had some shocking decision making. Dagg seems like he has forgotten how to play fullback. I am stunned he has continued to get selected this year with the calibre of players we have in that position. I think Conrad Smith being on sabbatical may have saved his bacon.

3. Question: How much of this was actually Schimdt, and how much was the players attitude?

It was both Schmidt and plumtree. And of course the players following their instructions .Sean I O Brien was allowed to get away with illegal turn overs and slowing down the ball .These days McCaw is policed unfairly by the refs '
Israel Dagg is not playing up to the required standard.He is not a factor in the game.Whilst Nonu played with his heart.He broke the game line regularly but did not seem to have the support . He certainly was not the worst player out there .He deserves to be knighted for his commitment to the cause.
Aron cruden had a good game.He must have been under instruction to run the ball from any where in the first 60 minutes, but he put in a controlled performance. .Brodies was lacking energy as was Sam whitelock.Keiran read was not as sharp as he usually else.McCaw tackled valiantly but needs to attack the space when he see's it.He gets opportunities to run but he chooses to go back into the traffic every time .Steve Hansen took too long to change the strategy .Is he suffering from mental exhaustion.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts