• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: Scotland v South Africa, 17/11/2012

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Murrayfield, Edinburgh (17-11-2012, 14:30 GMT)
Scotland.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
South%20Africa.png

Referee: George Clancy (Ireland)
Assistant referees: John Lacey (Ireland), Christophe Berdos (France)
Television match official: Eric Gauzins (France)

SA team released:

15 Zane Kirchner, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Francois Hougaard, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Juandré Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Gurthrö Steenkamp.
16 Schalk Brits, 17 Heinke van der Merwe, 18 CJ van der Linde, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20 Marcell Coetzee, 21 Morné Steyn, 22 Jaco Taute, 23 Lwazi Mvovo.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8247310,00.html

So after HM saying Taute played really well and he wants to play him at either 13 or 15....he drops him.

So after HM saying Taute played really well and he wants to play him at either 13 or 15....he drops him.

The thing you have to remember is that we in SA have a race quota of minimum 4 non-whites to adhere to for the Springbokke. Steenkamp, De Jongh and Pietersen count but HM has to select a fourth; Kirchner. Other sports have far tougher quota's mind you.

HM went as far as saying that Taute had his best game in the green jersey. I just hope Taute doesn't lose confidence over this.

Last edited:
The thing you have to remember is that we in SA have a race quota of minimum 4 non-whites to adhere to for the Springbokke. Steenkamp, De Jongh and Pietersen count but HM has to select a fourth; Kirchner. Other sports have far tougher quota's mind you.

HM went as far as saying that Taute had his best game in the green jersey. I just hope Taute doesn't lose confidence over this.

?

HM doesn't HAVE to have quotas... there is no rule for the national teams regarding quotas. he just does it to keep the politicians off his back.

Yet I don't think this was the case with selection. Taute on the bench gives us cover at both Centre and Fullback, in case JDV pulls a hamstring or if Zane has a kak game. JDV and JDJ are a good combination which will definitely attribute to more attacking from both of them.

It's a pity the young guns didn't get a chance, but I can understand that HM wants to secure his future as well as the Bokke by finishing this tour in the top 4 of the Rankings. if we win the Scots, are we then home and dry?

HM doesn't HAVE to have quotas... there is no rule for the national teams regarding quotas. he just does it to keep the politicians off his back.

Yet I don't think this was the case with selection. Taute on the bench gives us cover at both Centre and Fullback, in case JDV pulls a hamstring or if Zane has a kak game. JDV and JDJ are a good combination which will definitely attribute to more attacking from both of them.

It's a pity the young guns didn't get a chance, but I can understand that HM wants to secure his future as well as the Bokke by finishing this tour in the top 4 of the Rankings. if we win the Scots, are we then home and dry?

Are you sure the national teams aren't subject quota's? Last time I heard this wasn't the case.

If we beat Scotland we'd still top 4 despite a loss to England, yeah.

Steenkamp's not white? my broe... :p

Are you sure the national teams aren't subject quota's? Last time I heard this wasn't the case.

If we beat Scotland we'd still top 4 despite a loss to England, yeah.

I'm dead sure... the Quota system is not applicable to the National teams of South Africa. Fikile Mbalula said that last year before the 2011 RWC.

I'm dead sure... the Quota system is not applicable to the National teams of South Africa. Fikile Mbalula said that last year before the 2011 RWC.

I looked it up, tx. I fear I have derailed the thread a tad LOL. Think I had it mixed up with the juniors.

Last edited:
I saw it's changed, tx. I fear I have derailed the thread a tad LOL.

All good!

HM was under fire a few weeks ago when Mumbles (Gwede Mantashe) made a comment about the Boks being too white and that HM doesn't like black people... Ironically the very next week was the Sports Transformation Summit where our sports minister commended SARU for their progress in transformation in rugby.

Back to the thread.

Our Forwards will need to up the ante, especially Duane Vermeulen. He's been a bit quiet the last 2 games as the Newspapers mentioned already.

Here's what I hope happens on Saturday:

1. That the Bokke win.
2. By at least 4 tries
3. One scored by Gurthro
4. More cohesion by the entire team.

I made a point of catching up on the Scotland v NZ match and I have to say it made me feel a little better as I was worried after a pretty poor SA effort against Ireland. The Scottish tries weren't really all that constructed particularly with one being an intercept and the other a ball popping out of the ruck (illegally?). So all in all I am expecting us to improve and just hoping for the weather to not be too much of a leveling factor.

All good!

HM was under fire a few weeks ago when Mumbles (Gwede Mantashe) made a comment about the Boks being too white and that HM doesn't like black people... Ironically the very next week was the Sports Transformation Summit where our sports minister commended SARU for their progress in transformation in rugby.

Back to the thread.

Our Forwards will need to up the ante, especially Duane Vermeulen. He's been a bit quiet the last 2 games as the Newspapers mentioned already.

Here's what I hope happens on Saturday:

1. That the Bokke win.
2. By at least 4 tries
3. One scored by Gurthro
4. More cohesion by the entire team.

Vermeulen does a lot of donkey work and is hardly ever noticed but his game has dropped. I can't remember him having a week off all year. Burn-out?

I'd just want to see Pienaar pass straight from the ground for once and accurately instead of his usual routine and let Lambie take care of game management. Whatever happened to quick recycling being a 9's primary job?

Vermeulen does a lot of donkey work and is hardly ever noticed but his game has dropped. I can't remember him having a week off all year. Burn-out?

I'd just want to see Pienaar pass straight from the ground for once and accurately instead of his usual routine and let Lambie take care of game management. Whatever happened to quick recycling being a 9's primary job?

Oh it's called Burn-out when a player plays every bloody game of the year when he plays for WP?? but if he's Morne Steyn (who has played the last 3 consecutive years every game for the Bulls and Boks) then he's just kak...

Haha. Duane's donkey work is very good yes, but I agree with the papers, we need some X-factor from him...

Remember that he was injured most of the Super 15, this is not burn out but the way HM wants him to play

Remember that he was injured most of the Super 15, this is not burn out but the way HM wants him to play

hmmm... yeah I don't know about that... What changed since the Aus match at Loftus? Duane had his best game then in the bok jersey and he tried to steal balls at rucks, I just didn't see that last weekend

Dis waar die kak inkom... of een van die areas waar dar kak is :D

^ true that...
:huh:

Uhm...Does Scotland have the attacking efficiency to answer SA's SH running style...this should be a few tries in for SA, at least 2 or 3 I'd imagine.
But recently Scotland has shown some resilience and a surprising (surprising because just coming off a wooden spoon winter) ability to hang in big games, and even take some.

Latest posts