• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup 2014 - The Final

The only thing I would say about Billy V was his lack of sportsmanship at the end when Johnny tried to shake his hand. Billy just turned his back on him and kept on walking to the tunnel.

Not quite true... you make it seem as if Billy was offered a hand, to which he refused and walked off.

He was in the process of walking to the changing rooms (clearly very upset - on the verge of tears) when Jonny tapped him on the back two or three times, but Billy kept walking.
At no point did he turn around to see who it was who was trying to get his attention.

The way I see it - it was a 21 year old who had just played in the biggest game of his career, having just put in a massive shift, wanted to get away from the celebrations of the other team.

Not quite true... you make it seem as if Billy was offered a hand, to which he refused and walked off.

He was in the process of walking to the changing rooms (clearly very upset - on the verge of tears) when Jonny tapped him on the back two or three times, but Billy kept walking.
At no point did he turn around to see who it was who was trying to get his attention

The way I see it - it was a 21 year old who had just played in the biggest game of his career, having just put in a massive shift, wanted to get away from the celebrations of the other team.

Exactly; to not even acknowledge him was rude and unsportsmanlike in my book. Just a lack of common courtesy.

Last edited:
Jonny must've said something, he'd know better than to just tap him on the back with no sound given the euphoric volume levels at the time...and Vunipola just walked off.

Anyways, came here to remind ppl of this, not sure anybody's mentioned it here: you guys remember that Bastareaud "drop goal" attempt at the end ?! :lol: fkng dumbass...he knew the game was decided already and wanted to score his own little drop goal.....mmmmyeah...

here, got it:
[video=dailymotion;x1womwh]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1womwh_mathieu-bastareaud-le-futur-jonny-wilkinson_sport[/video]

Last edited:
irrespective of age, size, or social standing and final or not!!!!!!!! at the end of the day you shake all the oppositions hands even if you have lost, and it will never happen again for Fat Billy, as Sir Wilco is playing his lest game on Sat and Billy has not been picked in the Castres team......... shame on him respect is a word often used, but never shown by far too many!!!!!!!!!!!!!

irrespective of age, size, or social standing and final or not!!!!!!!! at the end of the day you shake all the oppositions hands even if you have lost, and it will never happen again for Fat Billy, as Sir Wilco is playing his lest game on Sat and Billy has not been picked in the Castres team......... shame on him respect is a word often used, but never shown by far too many!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn straight. Well put. But I'm pretty sure if any nickname at all, they all go with "Big Billy" though, not "Fat Billy" !! :lol:

It didn't happen straight after the game though... this was after the medal presentations.

So the regular after game handshakes had already taken place - he was already in the tunnel.

Johnny Wilkinson is class personified. Very pleased he's finished his career in a manner befitting his stature. Just peerless kicking as expected, but also some quality ball handling..the one for the first try was just sub..lime. Dare I say it, post Lomu era, Johnny may just be my favourite player over O'Driscoll (ok that's pushing it slightly)

It didn't happen straight after the game though... this was after the medal presentations.

So the regular after game handshakes had already taken place - he was already in the tunnel.

Looked like straight after the game to me. http://youtu.be/xt68cqpFnoQ

Anyway, Billy V's supposedly apologised via Mako's twitter feed. It still reflected badly on him and especially as it was Johnny who he shunned; even though he might not have been aware of it being in such a foul mood. https://twitter.com/mako_vunipola/status/470310743569858560

Last edited:
I have no clue why rats is so hellbent on protecting Vunipola's case, it's the strangest thing...stop coming up with random stuff, dude, he's just clearly at fault lol, let's just move on :lol: so weird...are you his sponsor or smt here, it almost looks like you're trolling us.

Fair enough... I misremembered.

People are still making up the "snub" though - the dude was upset and had tunnel-vision.
It would have been better had he stuck around, but it's hardly the end of the world.

Wait, is that it?! This is the first time I've seen it.
I do agree that at the end of the game you go and shake the hands of all the opposition players, so that's a black mark against Binny's name there, that clip is in no way a snub on Johnny.

There's no chance he'd have heard him over the crowd if he called to him, and considering he was walking through a crowd of people there's no way he'd know if a player was tapping him.

Poor sportsmanship in not staying on the pitch to shake hands, but in no way a personal snub of Wilko. People are sh*tting themselves over nothing here.

win or loose you do not just leave the field of play for the tunnel without saying a word or shaking the oppositions hands at least one, and it is something!!!!!!!!! its bad sportsmanship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RESPECT COSTS NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

win or loose you do not just leave the field of play for the tunnel without saying a word or shaking the oppositions hands at least one, and it is something!!!!!!!!! its bad sportsmanship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RESPECT COSTS NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Costs nothing, but requires humility. And humility costs everything.

nobodies having a go at you Rats!!! well i am not!!! the guy at fault here is Billy and nobody else........ at least Habana apologized on Twitter for his swimming pool antics Billy should do the same..........

that was hilarious, the Habana tweet. The guy dives like a maniac and exaggerates the play like crazy (although again, foul had indeed occurred) and then goes online comfortably seated behind his self-righteous little keyboard after his team's won the H Cup, and all is well, and writes what could be an introduction to some philosophy ethics treatise in sports. Fk that, Bryan. You can't break something intentionally and then apologize for it right after lol. Who the fk is gonna buy that bow-shieeeett.

He did - through Mako, because he doesn't use twitter.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Congrats to Toulon and <a href="https://twitter.com/JonnyWilkinson">@JonnyWilkinson</a> for a great career. My brother apologises as well his emotions got the better of him.</p>&mdash; Mako Vunipola (@Mako_Vunipola) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mako_Vunipola/statuses/470310743569858560">May 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Latest posts