Heineken Cup Final 2008

The Heineken Cup Final

• Munster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toulouse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Don't see the interest to integrate SH players to play this game

Sorry, I might look like a bad looser, but Munster doesn't deserve this win.
I Won't judge the style, it would be laughable, but particulary things around rucks that have been judged for TLS as Munster did what they want...

I lied, I will say more. Looking back now, Munster got very lucky. On numerous occasions they just pulled the ball to their side after a Toulouse ruck had been formed, and that 'penalty' and sin binning against Pelous was laughable and it won Munster the game in the end.
If it's any consolation, Toulouse scored a try that Munster couldn't dream of scoring. Clerc being out was also a key factor, O'Gara constantly marked the winger who had replaced him and he was nervous all night. I wonder whether Skrela coming next season will be a good thing, as Kelleher had a mare early on, so perhaps JBS can go scrum-half and Skrela fly-half. Then again, scratch that, there's no way Kelleher could ever play as bad as Skrela.
/rant.

I can read many comments on french forums about Ellissalde's decision to kick when he was a meter from the touchline, the difference is not here.

I can remind how often the referee was shouting "leave it red" so quickly after every black ruck, but never heard so much reactions whem they were red.
Never saw the ball given to TLS despite they moved forward on rucks, with the ball in (finest achievement Ellissalde pulling out the ball on it's touchline, and a blackscrum to come)
Who I especially appreciated in TLS: Jauzion and Bouillou, excellent in the air, Heyman's of course but also Donghi who was brilliant facing Howlett. Kelleher, even if he was less performant than in the laests matches, is indispensable in defense.

I lied, I will say more. Looking back now, Munster got very lucky. On numerous occasions they just pulled the ball to their side after a Toulouse ruck had been formed, and that 'penalty' and sin binning against Pelous was laughable and it won Munster the game in the end.
If it's any consolation, Toulouse scored a try that Munster couldn't dream of scoring. Clerc being out was also a key factor, O'Gara constantly marked the winger who had replaced him and he was nervous all night. I wonder whether Skrela coming next season will be a good thing, as Kelleher had a mare early on, so perhaps JBS can go scrum-half and Skrela fly-half. Then again, scratch that, there's no way Kelleher could ever play as bad as Skrela.
/rant. [/b]

*Netural View at the game!

Pretty much agreed. It was a typical performance from France (or French club, they only show up when they want!!!) Munster played a game that suited Tolouse for a period. I could not understand why they started kicking the ball and then kept on doing it all day.
I was annoyed before getting into this game today! I hope no Munster fan take this to heart but I have to say the few I came across were a bunch of selfish idiots (oh the harshness) and far away from the Irish people Ive met in the past. I have to admit that the fans I were sitting around were rude and once again selfish! If you are told to sit down then you do so not ignore people and stewards who tell you to do so, SIT DOWN! Also a few fans did not have a clue about rugby and were shouting poor and I mean poor abuse to the ref. Voice your opinion but do it when the decision is actually wrong! Also when moving out of the seats it's ok for you to move but when I had to move to stretch my legs out and then get a mouthful for doing so by leaving my seat is so BLOODY ANNOYING!
Pelous sin binning was a funny one, striking out against an opponent is a card offence but Quinlan's dramatics made it worse. This is not football my son! If you want to start acting and throwing some stupid moves out there go elsewhere, there is no need for it in this game!
Munster did dominate possession and did the job. It was not attractive and it did make the game very boring. But not every game can be spectacular. But I did find Munster's negativity had played a part in a very boring game. Especially when they started to close the game out. I just hoped that what happened against the Blue did not occur again!
Rucks were an interesting issue for me. I felt big Nige did a reasonable job here but he could have thrown a few penalties in on both sides but Munster were constantly handling in the ruck! BUT if the ref don't spot it then its fair game!
TMO did a great job in not awarding the try, he could have easily given it and did not, he clearly dropped the ball. Again the crowd's reaction was just funny becasue it was just like listening to little moaning baby!
The try scored by Tolouse was against the run of the Munster tide. Time after time Tolouse were holding them out and doing a decent job in defending but Munster kept on pilling the pressure. But the try was a good one, some lovely play and I have to admitt it silenced the Munster crowd! For a period!
I may sound bitter but I do want to congratulate Munster on their victory!

I felt big Nige did a reasonable job here but he could have thrown a few penalties in on both sides but Munster were constantly handling in the ruck! BUT if the ref don't spot it then its fair game!
TMO did a great job in not awarding the try, he could have easily given it and did not, he clearly dropped the ball. Again the crowd's reaction was just funny becasue it was just like listening to little moaning baby!

[/b]

This is doubly inexcusable from this ref who already judged Munster's H cup quarter and semi-finals !!! (here again, quite a special nomination, is the arbitral corps missing so much men ?)

I do not accept the refused try can't be considered as a compensation, as you can watch it on and on, in slow motion or accelerate, it is not a try (Accepting it would have been the cherry on the cake)

Sorry, I might look like a bad looser, but Munster doesn't deserve this win. [/b]
Did Toulouse actually look like scoring themselves at all during this match? One excellent try on the counter but I'm struggling to remember one moment of concerted Toulouse pressure after the opening 20 mins.

Munster did everything they had to do to win. They had complete control of the ball and given that Toulouse spent all day on the wrong side you can hardly expect Muster to come roaring our with an expansive game. As it was the Toulouse pack was dominated all day, their lineout was shakey, they were turned over in one or two scrums at crucial times, and their back row was completely and utterly dominated. The were hammered in the turnover count, and gave away a lot of stupid penalties despite continous warnings from the referee.

Yes, the Pelous yellow was severe but the penalty was not. It did not however win Munster the game, their was a four point swing in Toulouses favour during that 10 mins.

The fact remains that Munster came out of the hardest group in the tournament, they were away from home in both the quarters and the semis, and here today they won. It was fugly but dont go harping on about how fantastic Toulouse were. They didnt exactly bring an expansive game either. Heymans aside they looked less threatening then Munster did for the entire match.

This is doubly inexcusable from this ref who already judged Munster's H cup quarter and semi-finals !!! (here again, quite a special nomination, is the arbitral corps missing so much men ?) [/b]
And the penalty count went against them on both occasions, Munster didnt want him reffing this match either.

1) Did Toulouse actually look like scoring themselves at all during this match? One excellent try on the counter but I'm struggling to remember one moment of concerted Toulouse pressure after the opening 20 mins.

2) Munster did everything they had to do to win. They had complete control of the ball and given that Toulouse spent all day on the wrong side you can hardly expect Muster to come roaring our with an expansive game. As it was the Toulouse pack was dominated all day, their lineout was shakey, they were turned over in one or two scrums at crucial times, and their back row was completely and utterly dominated. The were hammered in the turnover count, and gave away a lot of stupid penalties despite continous warnings from the referee.

3) Yes, the Pelous yellow was severe but the penalty was not. It did not however win Munster the game, their was a four point swing in Toulouses favour during that 10 mins.
[/b]
1) Yep, after Toulouse's try where Ellisalde completely squandered the game by kicking a poor kick to the far touchline which was collected easily by Marcus Horan over his tryline. A drop-goal here would have made it even

2) Not to mention they had to rely on Ellisalde missing two kicks, dodgy refereeing around the breakdown and an abysmal decision by the touch-judge in regards to Pelous' yellow-card (See point 3).

3) How can you call that a penalty? It was a soft kick (That would definately not hurt anyone in the slightest, childish indeed, but hardly penalty worthy and Quinlan's reaction could have easily resulted in a reversed penalty for trying to influence the referee's decision.

<div class='quotemain'>
I felt big Nige did a reasonable job here but he could have thrown a few penalties in on both sides but Munster were constantly handling in the ruck! BUT if the ref don't spot it then its fair game!

[/b]

This is doubly inexcusable from this ref who already judged Munster's H cup quarter and semi-finals !!! (here again, quite a special nomination, is the arbitral corps missing so much men ?)

I do not accept the refused try can't be considered as a compensation, as you can watch it on and on, in slow motion or accelerate, it is not a try (Accepting it would have been the cherry on the cake) [/b][/quote]

Sorry what is wong with Nigel O today? Oh sorry just because he was not French? I beg to pardon but he is rated the current best Northen Hemesphire ref! Even other ref's say hes one of the best!

Also read what I said about the not given try, cause your response made no sense!

Say what you will but you cannot deny Munster deserved it. Like Logorrhea said, one moment of Individual brilliance aside when did Toulouse look like scoring? Munster never went for a Dropgoal, always for seven points. O'Gara 100% in a HEC final again. Quinlan and O'Connell were immense.

Sad to see Deccie and Williams go but hopefully they will bring the same success to Ireland and Australia

Cúige Mumhan Abú

Say what you will but you cannot deny Munster deserved it. Like Logorrhea said, one moment of Individual brilliance aside when did Toulouse look like scoring?
[/b]
They looked like scoring many times at the beginning of the first half and they were inches from it the second half but as I said earlier, Ellisalde squandered that oppurtunity with a sliced kick across field.
And I can hardly blame Munster not attempting a drop-goal when they were already in the lead with minutes left, that's just common sense. At the resulting kick-off, Toulouse could've regained possession and scored.

The cause I'm deceived is because I'm used to loose against England this way but not facing fighting Irish
The cause I'm angry is because some french team are again penalised (generally the more creative ones) much more easily than their opposant who generally have the interrest to do so (retarding or scratching the ball in rucks, 3rd line not correctly in contact with the scrum,...).

How can you call that a penalty? [/b]
You cant kick an opponent and not get penalised. Your right, it wasnt nasty, but it was damned stupid. Quinlan is that kind of player. He's the one everyone loves to hate because he gets right in your face and does everything he can to upset you. Similar to Regan or Back. Home fans love him, away fans hate him. Pelous was just stupid for falling for it.

As for the other two points, youve just blamed the referee, the touch judge, and you referenced one poorly executed crossfield kick. You really think thats why Munster won it?

Oh.................. on a side point. In an interview after the match O'Gara confirmed he was screaming for O'Leary to give him the ball for the drop goal, but it was too loud in the stadium. He actually managed to look ****** off while remembering it.

<div class='quotemain'> How can you call that a penalty? [/b]
1) You cant kick an opponent and not get penalised. Your right, it wasnt nasty, but it was damned stupid. Quinlan is that kind of player. He's the one everyone loves to hate because he gets right in your face and does everything he can to upset you. Similar to Regan or Back. Home fans love him, away fans hate him. Pelous was just stupid for falling for it.

2) As for the other two points, youve just blamed the referee, the touch judge, and you referenced one poorly executed crossfield kick. You really think thats why Munster won it?

Oh.................. on a side point. In an interview after the match O'Gara confirmed he was screaming for O'Leary to give him the ball for the drop goal, but it was too loud in the stadium. He actually managed to look ****** off while remembering it.
[/b][/quote]
1) Well like I said, Quinlan's pathetic football'esque reaction could have resulted in a reversed penalty. Whatever the interpretation, is was not a yellow card, and if Toulouse had their captain on the field during the time where Ellisalde kicked the ball away literally on the Munster tryline, I doubt events would have unfolded in Munster's favour.

2) Yep. Owen's missed a few things at the breakdown and dismissed Quinlan not binding in the scrums.

The only positive is that these teams made it to the final instead of a bunch of lesser teams fluking their way through in ****-easy pools. At the end of the day, I knew that a controversial decision would decide it in the end; and it did. What's-his-face's try was genius and the passion and determination shown by both teams was more than anyone could have asked for. Congratulations Munster, they certainly won it the hard way through that pool and away in two knockout games. Still, I'm backing Toulouse to go all the way next year! JUST YOU WAIT DAMNIT!!! :%#%#: :%#%#: :%#%#:

:(

[/b]

Could have been the last chance for TLS then, as he'd already been blocked twice in the match

Still, I'm backing Toulouse to go all the way next year! JUST YOU WAIT DAMNIT!!! :%#%#: :%#%#: :%#%#: :(
[/b]

Positive point
Michalak is coming back
Negative point
Skrela is coming !!!!

Say what you will but you cannot deny Munster deserved it. Like Logorrhea said, one moment of Individual brilliance aside when did Toulouse look like scoring? Munster never went for a Dropgoal, always for seven points. O'Gara 100% in a HEC final again. Quinlan and O'Connell were immense.

Sad to see Deccie and Williams go but hopefully they will bring the same success to Ireland and Australia

Cúige Mumhan Abú [/b]

Of course Munster deserved it ....

But how can you say Tolouse never looked like scoring ... I can count a few times both in the first half and second half when they came close!

Munster were robbed! Two tries disallowed :bleh!:

Thought we were in trouble when we gave away the penalty before half time, but the cute hoor plays came good - we've lost too many times to cynical english play not to pick up a few tips and hints.

Kidney's half time talk: Lads, at the end of the third quarter just grab your opponent by the neck and throttle him for twenty minutes.

Elissalde wasted THE chance with a poor cross kick. After that it was just a question of keeping possession away from Heymans - brilliant player, Toulouse's only hope. Jauzion was doing his stuff, but nothing from him at the end.

Thought Pelous was playing great, but the kick in the arse was sooooo stupid from an experienced player.

Again my brother said he was off for a **** and didn't come back for half and hour because he was too nervous to watch the end. And he's a very serious supporter.

Munster have beaten the All Blacks.

This victory to a New Zealander comes as no suprise to a club with a great history as clubs such as Munster or Cardiff or Orange Free State are well remembered and respected in All Black infamous folklore.

The average New Zeander rugby fan 10 years ago would have never heard of the Toulouse rugby club.

So with Munster winning their second ***le in 3 years....yep that would be expected from a New Zealand standpoint....no real surprise at all.

Congratulations. :cheers:

Latest posts