• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup Quarter Final: Munster v Ulster - 08/04/2012

Oh well. On the bright side, we can now fill in the nervous wait by arguing over which prop combination to use.

a red card offence?? jesus if thats a red card then shouldnt fighting be like a 4 month ban or something?

If we used this "what if" scenario none of us would get up in the morning, "what if I get hit by a bus" or "what if everyone has bought all the petrol meaning I'm stuck on the hard shoulder of the M4 for 6 hours".

I maintain this tackle would have been applauded not long ago and yet now he gets citied? Ridic. I've only spoke my view on this, obviously differs from your own which is fair enough.

Not chuffed about the WUM thing though..

You also don't walk down a bus lane though do you? The reason you don't think about it is because you are comfortable that you have minimised the risk as much as you can.

Whether it used to be applauded or not, the fact is that by tackling a player in that fashion he has increased the risk of serious injury to an unacceptable level.

Is it just me that thinks this was worse than the likes of Warburton's in the WC? This looks intentional, where he picks up one leg, twists, then attempts to drive him into the ground. He even puts his own weight into it, which could have caused a really serious injury if Jones' head had landed in the wrong place. Not saying that Warburton's wasn't potentially dangerous as well, but that was more to do with Warburton going too low, then Clerk's own weight taking over, followed by Warburton not realising and going for the jackle.

As long as there's consistency, then I'm happy. Ulster were probably lucky (or Wales unlucky, however you want to look at it), because if one deserved a red, then so does the other, as well as Bradley's in the 6 nations. That could have changed the game completely.

The problem with tackles such as these, is the twist element. It's perfectly possible to do a good dump tackle without twisting the player, so that the tackled player lands harmlessly on his back, not neck.. Unfortunately some ref's don't seem to differentiate and I've seen some genuine dump tackles yellow carded, but this was dangerous. Despite being angry at the time of Warburton's tackle, and still maintain there was no intent there, his mistake was lifting the legs which always runs the risk of turning the player because the centre of gravity is always going to be above the line of the tackle. Maybe a yellow would have been suffice, but there we go.

There was nothing malicious in it, I'm not even sure it merits a ban as Afoa did bring him down safely (well, it ended out safely)

I'm not so sure about that. Bringing him down safely wouldn't have involved leaving the ground himself to put more weight behind the tackle. I'd argue that letting a player go is safer than that, although both are far from 'bringing him down safely'. The bold element is the important bit, glad he was ok afterwards.

Last edited:
Who cares Munster lost Ulster won, Munster now need to regroup and sort some problems out. The only good thing to come out of this game from a Irish perspective is that Kidney cant ignore some of these talented Ulster players now.

Saw it on the day and knew it would be a citing.

Nothing malicious about it. Bit careless given how the IRB are about these tackles at the moment so it was just a bit stupid.

Not surprised by the ban.

Who cares Munster lost Ulster won, Munster now need to regroup and sort some problems out. The only good thing to come out of this game from a Irish perspective is that Kidney cant ignore some of these talented Ulster players now.

Hah! Just watch him.

In fairness I think it a fair ban and Afoa probably won't be missed massively in Semi Final.
Just glad it really wasn't a major talking point of game and didn't take away from fact Ulster won this with a superb team performance

Jheesh, I've just seen Leinster have beaten Edinburgh 54-13. Surely it's Ulster to make it through this semi?

Edinburgh's up and under tactics that worked against Toulouse won't work against Ulster, as Terblanche is very good under the high ball, they'll have to think of a new tactic

Never know, playoff games are very different to league games.

HC in general really. We gave Edinburgh a thorough going over at their gaff and took a bonus point the week before they went and beat Racing Metro in Paris.

Going by league form, this match should end up with them crying and calling us 'Daddy'. It's probably not, and it definitely won't if we dwell upon that, as they'll tear into any hint of complacency.

HC in general really. We gave Edinburgh a thorough going over at their gaff and took a bonus point the week before they went and beat Racing Metro in Paris.

Going by league form, this match should end up with them crying and calling us 'Daddy'. It's probably not, and it definitely won't if we dwell upon that, as they'll tear into any hint of complacency.

I think Ulster will beat Edinburgh, although I don't think it will be a thrashing

Leinster vs Clermont is harder to call, Leinster are the best team in Europe but it's in France and Clermont have good support so that evens it up

Latest posts