• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup v Super 15 play-off on the cards

Intercept King JDV

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
A lucrative "clash of the hemispheres" game to determine the world's best club side looks set to be introduced from as soon as 2012.

The idea has been talked about for years but now rugby union officials are looking to capitalise on sponsorship monies which makes the match more likely.

English newspaper The Guardian reports that all the major unions are now fully behind the proposal and are redoubling their efforts to finalise a firm date for the match, which would be staged in Europe, possibly in early December.

Premier Rugby Limited, the body that represents the leading English clubs has been heavily involved in the negotiations for a match that would bolster revenues for the clubs involved.

Officials are also concerned that any delay in organising the match will leave the way clear for promoters from outside the sport to take advantage and snap up the idea.

"Our clubs, as well as those in Europe and the southern hemisphere, have had approaches from Monaco, Abu Dhabi and, most recently, from South Africa." PRL chief executive Mark McCafferty told The Guardian.

"If the stakeholders within rugby don't create this, somebody else will and we'll find an outsider coming in."

If the match went ahead immediately it would pit current Heineken Cup champions Leinster against the current Super14 champions the Bulls.

If that does not spark enough interest how about the Crusaders taking on Toulouse for a starting match based on past overall successes.

"It's us who have been pushing it," McCafferty said.

"The only issue we're trying to crack is the date. The sticking points at the moment are the dates of the new domestic competitions in the southern hemisphere, but we're still working on it.

"I think it's got to be around the autumn time, either pre or post the autumn internationals."

"That's the only time when the southern hemisphere teams are still playing and the majority of their players are in Europe."

McCafferty is well aware of how congested the rugby calendar is which will only worsen when the Super14 expands to a Super15 in 2011.

Under Premier Rugby's deal with the Rugby Football Union, the majority of England internationals, for example, would be unavailable from late October until the end of November.

The first weekend of December might be feasible if all European clubs are in agreement.

"We can manage it because, at most, only two clubs from an individual league - whether it be France, England or the Magners League - would be affected, so you're only having to rearrange one fixture," McCafferty said.

"We've developed something that isn't disruptive to existing competitions.

"Everyone has got an appetite to do it if we can just find a date. Further discussions are continuing with the southern hemisphere to see if we can find one."

In order to get the concept off the ground McCafferty does not feel that it would be beneficial to play the fixture at a neutral venue.

"You've got to do it in a rugby heartland. I don't think going to play in an empty stadium somewhere would be beneficial."

England's RFU have indicated that they would support the fixture as would the French Rugby Federation.

SANZAR who run rugby in the Southern Hemisphere have been looking for ways to raise rugby union's profile and earn more money from the game.
Source

Finally they have started moving in the right direction, will be great to see a SH team destroying a NH team;)
***waiting for another SH vs NH fight to start***

...JUST JOKING

Finding a date that will suite both hemispheres will be tough though, somewhere in December sounds almost the best to me.And I think playing at a neutral venue is the way to go.

Is there such thing as a neutral venue? A third hemisphere we're not aware of. Play it somewhere like Dubai and the SH team would likely win. Play it somewhere like Monaco and the NH team would likely win. Play it in the Americas and nobody will turn up to see it.

This match wouldn't be a success... No more then the league world club cup is anyway.

And December is no good for the NH teams: Slap in the middle of their busiest part of the season.

Come play the game at Cowboy stadium in Dallas, the game needs exposure in the USA and that would be a great place to play in

Come play the game at Cowboy stadium in Dallas, the game needs exposure in the USA and that would be a great place to play in

That's a gridiron stadium, right? I don't think the pitch is wide enough to play rugby...

Cowboys stadium has been design also with soccer in mind ( Last year Chelsea came and play in the stadium ). Yes it is a football stadium but there is plenty of space to lay a rugby pitch on top ot it.

How about in Georgia? Lekso would love that!

Well if they can't play it at a "neutral venue", they'll have to play home and away.But it would be great if they play it in places like America, Japan, Georgia, Hong Kong, Dubai ect...Taking rugby to people!

Well I mean it'd be kinda stupid holding it in a neutral venue like Dubai. How are the fans gonna get there? Rugby fans aren't rich... hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!! yes they are

Well I mean it'd be kinda stupid holding it in a neutral venue like Dubai. How are the fans gonna get there?

Boeing-747-8-1..jpg

spaceball..gif
80279502_edd1f6956&#.jpg

3291756572_923f4da&#99.jpg

Attachments

• 3883108888_6ba48c25&.jpg
    3883108888_6ba48c25&.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 4
Relax mate, I've got an Irish specific method of travel lined up for you...

Horses_Swimming_&#67.JPG

Ah racism, but it's ok apparently because we're the same colour.

i reckon play 3 games .

one game on the NH teams home turf

one game on SH teams home turf

and final game in a neutral venue americas/ hong kong / dubai etc.

Bring the third game to the new Dallas Cowboys stadium and its guaranteed to sell out. Plus that would mean I'd get the chance to see the Saders live if they win next year.

Dallas Stadium would only bring in 12 rednecks, 2 youkels and a couple of Dualling Banjos.

The Amweican market wouldn't take up on it, especially in the southern states, because they all see it as "unprofessional looking" Gridiron.

Latest posts