• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: South Africa vs. Ireland [3rd Test] (25/06/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
South%20Africa.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
Ireland.png

Venue: Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth
Time: 17:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 JP Pietersen, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Siya Kolisi, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Jaco Kriel, 21 Rudy Paige, 22 Morne Steyn, 23 Lwazi Mvovo

Ireland: 15 Tiernan O'Halloran, 14 Andrew Trimble, 13 Luke Marshall, 12 Stuart Olding, 11 Keith Earls, 10 Paddy Jackson, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Jordi Murphy, 6 CJ Stander, 5 Devin Toner, 4 Iain Henderson, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best (captain) 1 Jack McGrath

Substitutes: 16 Sean Cronin, 17 Finlay Bealham, 18 Tadhg Furlong, 19 Ultan Dillane, 20 Rhys Ruddock, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Ian Madigan, 23 Matt Healy

Last edited:
Big test for both sides and the only series still up for grabs. Both teams also hit with injuries and though we have a lot of injuries I don't think any of the guys who are out are as critical (though Pollard or Lambie fit would've been nice) as Henshaw is for Ireland perhaps.

Will wait for the team announcement for once.

.."the only series still up for grabs".. Indeed. The latest coming from the Bok camp is all injuries aside and the inclusion of Coenie to cover 1 & 3 in place of Trevor. Otherwise it's all systems go.

With just over 160 mins of play so far in this series, it's still unbelievable to think the Boks still within a shout to win it, thanks to that last (20) minute(s) plot-twist, to setup a final showdown at AC's hometown region of PE.

As for selection, I am anticipating a few changes to the starting XV apart from those that are injury enforced.

I expect we'll see Whitley starting and Kriel and Kitsoff on the bench pretty much guaranteed.
The only other change I will hope for (but not expect) is Combrink starting.

Yeah I think the inclusion of Coenie is more so for tighthead prop cover. So Kitshoff will be Beast's backup.

With Lood De Jager sent back to his franchise, Mostert is a sure bet on the Bench so the locks will stay the same as the previous test.

At the Back row the possibilities are 6. Flouw, 7. Kolisi, 8. Whiteley or 6. Flouw, 7. Kriel, 8. Whiteley or 6. Flouw, 7. Kriel, 8. Kolisi or 6. Flouw, 7. Kriel, 8. Notshe. It all depends on the injury of Whitely and if AC feels the combination is working. I personally would drop Kolisi.

9 and 10 I expect will also stay the same as the previous test.

As for the rest of the backline, my wish is that Combrink to start ahead of Mvovo, but the question is, whether this will happen?

it would be a shame if ireland let it slip in the third test. they looked shattered in the last 20 of the last test. really hoping for another NH series win and after the first test it looked to be that way but SA have certainly made a comeback, they were like banshees around the field to get the series draw

Ugh just another ANC propaganda tactic. "Their Members"... Mmmm, probably just Kolisi and Mvovo... and oh hey look... They were the a**holes that nearly cost us the game!

If we have to go into this i wonder who won us the game .... Combrinck ... Warren ... PSTD .... they have something in common

If we have to go into this i wonder who won us the game .... Combrinck ... Warren ... PSTD .... they have something in common
You're part of the problem honestly.

As is everyone who is calling for Kolisi's head after his 2nd test start ever despite him being no worse than Duane and Flouw were (look at the stats, he's better in many cases, Duane has actually missed more tackles).

Sorry to be contentious for a second, but as much as I hate quotas there is clearly still some institutional racism at play with a lot of the public, if a young white player has a bad debut or bad couple of games we are generally more inclined to "give him a fair shot" but if a black player has a bad game, everyone calls for his head immediately. If a black player drops a ball in a game their is almost a tangible reaction if you watch in a public place, where as if a white player drops a ball its far more easily forgiven.

Yes the government and their sports policies are wrong, but we also need to acknowledge that their are perception problems with rugby as well. John van eeden's comment is one of the more tame things I've seen out of the public since AC took over.

Last edited:
My friend , thank you very much for your opinion now i will give you mine ... i have no problem with AC as coach and the black players selected i back most of them since they deserve to be there , fact still is that those players i mentioned won us the game and i commented on the link of cosatu , so please my friend think before you comment and dont only see racism in everything because that is the kind of people dragging this country down , and i never mentioned race in my comment i asked what do they have in common ... they all have skill in commen dont they ? I guess they do since they won us the game.

Payne's a major loss as he does a lot defensively and has played a big role as a playmaker from fullback over this tour. There was a question as to what the centre partnership would be as Payne may have slotted into 13. If Payne is indeed out we'll likely see: Murray, PJ, Earls, Olding, Marshall, Trimble, O'Halloran

Marmion/Reddan
Madigan
Gilroy/Healy

You're part of the problem honestly.

As is everyone who is calling for Kolisi's head after his 2nd test start ever despite him being no worse than Duane and Flouw were (look at the stats, he's better in many cases, Duane has actually missed more tackles).

Sorry to be contentious for a second, but as much as I hate quotas there is clearly still some institutional racism at play with a lot of the public, if a young white player has a bad debut or bad couple of games we are generally more inclined to "give him a fair shot" but if a black player has a bad game, everyone calls for his head immediately. If a black player drops a ball in a game their is almost a tangible reaction if you watch in a public place, where as if a white player drops a ball its far more easily forgiven.

Yes the government and their sports policies are wrong, but we also need to acknowledge that their are perception problems with rugby as well. John van eeden's comment is one of the more tame things I've seen out of the public since AC took over.

All 3 our back rowers were below par, I agree with you. But all 3 of them are not fresh or new to the Springbok team. Kolisi has racked up a decent 14 caps already for the Boks. The difference between him and Flouw and Duane is that Flouw and Duane have shown us what they can do in the Springbok jersey and has been instrumental for us winning matches. The other problem was that Kolisi is currently on form which he carried from Super Rugby into the Springbok team, but he hasn't shown any form at all in the Springbok jersey. His role as blindside flanker is to make tackles and be a strong ball carrier, and on both those areas he is failing miserably. He hasn't proven to me that he belongs in the Springbok team, and I'd gladly accept Nizam Carr or Notshe in his place as they have shown their hunger for the SA A team, especially Notshe.

Flouw has shown improvement as the games go on, so I'm happy if we keep him there. Remember that if we bring in guys like Kriel, Notshe and Carr, we'll need an experienced head to back them up.

If we take Kolisi and Whiteley for example, both usually benched Springboks, both on form, then clearly Whiteley has made the most of his chances in the Bok jersey. So who deserves the "Fair Shot"??

When you play for the Bokke you don't get many chances to prove your worth. So you have to take the chance you get and make the most of it. Kolisi has been a favourite of AC ever since the WP days, so why should he be overlooked from scrutiny like so many others.

I don't see you disagree with regard to Mvovo though. Is that because he's not a Stormers player? Is it because he was replaced by a former WP player? Or was it maybe just because Combrink is better than him? I thought Mvovo was one of our better performers in the first test, but in the 2nd test he was just awful, and was rightfully replaced. We all agree that Combrink deserved his chance and he took it with both hands and proven that he deserves to be a bok.

Perhaps your provincial favouritism is getting the better of you?

Latest posts