• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June Internationals - South Africa vs. Scotland (15/06/2013)

Awww...now I know how the French feel. :(

Unhappy with the outcome, but congrats to the Boks. They won't be so lucky next time... ;)

das

Awww...now I know how the French feel. :(

Unhappy with the outcome, but congrats to the Boks. They won't be so lucky next time... ;)

das

Nothing to do with luck really........SA were pretty dire, by their standards, and Scotland played well above their level with a team that has seen something like 12 new caps in the last two games.

They played with spirit and skill but made too many mistakes which cost them points in the first half and which they paid for in the second.

Have to say, never thought, throughout the game, that Scotland could win it but you have to give the land of my forefathers a lot of credit for their efforts especially after the display against Samoa last week!!

I think this shows Scotland have finally found the way upwards and are building a very strong team. I wouldn't be surprised if they win the Six Nations somewhere in the next 3 to 5 years.

^ You have forefathers ?!! I've got just one !

:fool:

terribly....terrrrribly sorry about that one.

Well done Scotland! Great game for them, their backline looked organised, they continually harassed us at the breakdown and I can't point out a single player who played really badly.
SA obviously disappointing, poor decision making at times, running when I felt we should kick and kicking when I felt we should run, and our breakdown management needs serious work. Honestly the yellow on Hamilton really saved us in terms of swinging the momentum in our favour, and although it was unnecessary I don't feel like his actions really deserved a yellow, I've seen similar instances get let off with nothing, and a penalty would have been sufficient IMO.

Lots of work to do in the SA camp, but all credit to Scotland for their performance!

Was good to see the arrogance of the arrgoant South Africans arrogantly suggesting the arrogant blowout for SA not come true, though.
Was it arrogant to suggest a 30 point win against a weakened second string Scotland side, that lost convincingly to Samoa, at home, at altitude, facing conditions they aren't used to?
Maybe.

Are you being unprofessional with your blatant Saffer bias? Definitely.

SA tight 5 need to do the tight work. Only Etzebeth looked close to doing his work. Coetzee and Spies still passengers but what else is new.

Scotland very very good with spoiling which made it a tight game and even at 6 - 17 down I felt we'd win out. Good preparation and a good wake up call because Scotland didn't do anything at the breakdown that the Aussies and NZ aren't gonna do and they'll make us pay if we let them have free reign at the breakdown unlike Scotland.

Van Zyl the only one off the bench with a bad game but its unfair to judge on 15 minutes and him wanting to do too much from nothing.

we fell short at 6 and 8, Coetzee with Kolisi is not the right combo, sorry for Botha as he is future star but Kolisi deserved his Man of the match on his debut, well done!
Was an ugly match from the Boks, little rhythm and cohesion

Ja, everyone was expecting a big improvement on last week; how could we not improve!?! And somehow we managed not too; not really. In the scrum Scotland engaged early twice and we got away with one slightly early engagement so no real test there while the line-out was somewhat better but we were totally disinterested at the breakdown for the most part. Glad Flouw will be back as we are in for a hiding in the Rugby championship if the biys don't start taking the tight exchanges seriously.

A few moments of brilliance last week made the difference. It wasn't there today; the Scots were too savvy in their play and too comitted on defence (apart from the slip in concentration that let Engelbrecht in). A lot of potential and talent but we are letting ourselves down not that I want to take anything away from Scotland. The SA public expect more. At least we expect our test players to get the basics right. Our backrow hasn't had any semblence f balance for a while now and we won't get any while Spies and Coetzee are there (or not there to be more accurate).

I said it in 2009 and I'm saying it again now.

START BRUSSOUW

Olyy, I still love you.

Was it arrogant to suggest a 30 point win against a weakened second string Scotland side, that lost convincingly to Samoa, at home, at altitude, facing conditions they aren't used to?
Maybe.

Well, despite all that, Scotland did play better

You NH guys are funny. I enjoyed your posts.

As for the match, man it was ugly and dirty, and what made it worse was Poite's handling of the breakdown area, I thought he was rather poor. Strokosch deliberately tried to slow up our ball every time he could. At the rucks he more than once came in from the side, climbed over and put his foot around the ball. Here I blame Ruan Pienaar as well, he didn't free up the ball quicker, and as expected, Piet Van Zyl did just that when he came on.

It was a match of 2 halves for the boks, first half was dire, especially by guys like Adriaan Strauss. Poor line out throws, obstructive running, and all that 5 m out from the damn tryline!!!

Draggs, i think you were a bit harsh on Spies, he made a lot of tackles, and some good runs, which is more than what could be said about Marcel Coetzee. Siya was immense, and it's a pity Arno got injured so early, as I think if he stayed on, with Kolisi coming in, we would've got a lot more points on the board.

Welcome back Bismarck!!

Not happy with how we played, but at least we now got some questions answered. No, Marcell, is not a solution at 6. Yes, Siya should be in the bok squad. Yes, Ruan Pienaar can ****off back to Ireland. Yes, Eben has learnt from his previous mistakes on how to react.

I agree on Ruan Pienaar - he kept picking up the ball, taking two or three steps to look who to pass to and finally passed. The result was very laboured and predictable ball.

I think Ulster get more out of him as they use him as their main playmaker, so he decides what to do. In the Boks he's a cog in a machine, but he isn't able to get quick ball to etc anywhere near as quick as a lot of the other halfbacks.

Latest posts