TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_56743038_martin_johnson2.jpg

England team manager Martin Johnson has stood down after three and a half years in the role.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15756480.stm

Last edited:
Wow. I genuinely didn't see that coming.

It would be good if he went away to coach a club team for a good 10 years and then reapply with the credentials.

Surprised at that as well - thought he might do right after the WC, but when he didn't I thought he'd be in for another 4 years

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Looks like those pesky welshies are going to poach wiggy Rowntree too. At least we still have the great Rob Andrew in place!

BBC and Guardian both reporting his resignation. BBC says an RFU statement expected this afternoon. BBC also refers to an on-line piece on the Daily Mail website (so it must be true!).

I'm in two minds on this; clearly his time as England's coach was never that successful but, like many others, I felt it was a mistaken appointment in the first place. But maybe he would have grown into the role. I'm not sure he needs 10 years as a club coach, as suggested above, before being considered again but, yes, he certainly needs some time at a major club in order to prove his merit as a coach.

It was a mistaken appointment, too many people in the press/public eye were pushing him at the time when they should have left well alone. After what he did for English rugby as a player they should have let him enjoy a bit of TV punditry and some after dinner speaking. Instead he took a job with a crap coaching/backroom/organizational set up which would have been tough for a seasoned coach.

I think, overall, his reign as England manager has come out with a number of positives. He's put the foundations in for us to play with some real flare in the backs, he's brought through quite a few youngsters, we've won the most recent six nations, but that result against Australia last autumn has to be the crowning achievement. I think he also took us forward on an ability-level, and I think we'd have gone forward (although not fast enough) under him if he had continued. But I think we do need to pick up the pace in development, and I'd like to see a proven coach do it.

Who are the front-runners? Mallinder and Mallett?

The incidents with Tindall etc. must have pushed him further out the door; I think Johnson and his bosses came to blows.

Stick Steve Diamond in, just for a few days, as he'll probably headbutt Rob Andrew

Rob Andrew asked on five live if he should go said No and he has no intention of going.

BBC and Guardian both reporting his resignation. BBC says an RFU statement expected this afternoon. BBC also refers to an on-line piece on the Daily Mail website (so it must be true!).

I'm in two minds on this; clearly his time as England's coach was never that successful but, like many others, I felt it was a mistaken appointment in the first place. But maybe he would have grown into the role. I'm not sure he needs 10 years as a club coach, as suggested above, before being considered again but, yes, he certainly needs some time at a major club in order to prove his merit as a coach.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Andrew has to go.

Anyway, first good step along the road to starting the 6N with a clean sheet. Realistically, we want to have a new coach & staff sorted by January. I want Mallinder.

It is painfully obvious to the rugby public the Rob Andrew needs to leave. He's human - as far as I'm aware - surely he knows that realises that he is doing more harm than good. When people like Tindall and Johnson leave (or are pushed) prematurely you know somethings wrong. His record in the position is hardly glittering. John Kirwan would be a fantastic coach for any team, he proved that at Italy and Japan, leaving both much stronger than when he started.