• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints 2017 - 2018

What are people's thought on...
1) do we need a new second row to bolster options or is Ribbans the real deal? (Alongside Lawes, Day, Api)
2) has Foden got the till the end of the season to prove himself and that he's still got it?
3) does he move to wing and therefore do we need a new FB? (Or is it Fods, Tuala, and Wilson to cover it)
4) should one of Hutchinson/Malinder/Stephenson be converted to 10/15 as they're all promising centres

What are people's thought on...
1) do we need a new second row to bolster options or is Ribbans the real deal? (Alongside Lawes, Day, Api)
2) has Foden got the till the end of the season to prove himself and that he's still got it?
3) does he move to wing and therefore do we need a new FB? (Or is it Fods, Tuala, and Wilson to cover it)
4) should one of Hutchinson/Malinder/Stephenson be converted to 10/15 as they're all promising centres

I'm obviously not a Saints fan, but as an observer, I'd say:

1) Yes. With the exception of Lawes, Saints' locks are good rather than great and they could do with another quality option.
2) Yes - Foden will have until the end of the season ... mainly because there are only 5 games left to go in the regular season.
3) Possibly. He's looked better on the wing in recent games IMO. You'd need a new fullback though because Tuala and Wilson aren't good enough to be starters.
4) No. You've just signed Piers Francis to play 10 and you can't really convert players to play fly half. At the top level, I think you need to have developed the skills/vision required over years to do it successfully. You wouldn't get that by converting a player. Mallinder has played 10 and could be OK at 15, but surely 12 is his best position. Stephenson just needs a run of injury free games so forget about messing with his position.

I think England see Francis as a 12 who can play 10 rather than vice versa, but it'll be interesting to see how he lines up for Saints.

Any insight in to where the Picamoles money is going?

I think England see Francis as a 12 who can play 10 rather than vice versa, but it'll be interesting to see how he lines up for Saints.

Any insight in to where the Picamoles money is going?
I'm still hoping for a ball carrying explosive 8 but fear signings are finished for the summer. I did fancy anew fullback at the end of last season, but with Reinach, Francis and Horne all coming in I feel that's enough fresh blood in the backs.
We have 2 new props and Eadie (6/8) coming in but let's keep our fingers crossed for a creative and/or explosive number 8 to come in still

I'm still hoping for a ball carrying explosive 8 but fear signings are finished for the summer. I did fancy anew fullback at the end of last season, but with Reinach, Francis and Horne all coming in I feel that's enough fresh blood in the backs.
We have 2 new props and Eadie (6/8) coming in but let's keep our fingers crossed for a creative and/or explosive number 8 to come in still

With all the press they are giving Eadie i assume he will be our 8. Was really hoping for something more but alas Jim and Dorian just can't coach or recruit.

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi to all the Northampton supporters! I'm also new to the sport and have only been watching the premiership for a season. After watching quite a few games last year I thought Northampton seemed like a great club to support (please let me know if I'm wrong haha). I'm still familiarizing myself with the roster and all the positions. I tried to watch a variety of teams last year so I could decide who to support. I've got a pretty good understanding of the game, but not all of the rules so please excuse my ignorance.

You're probably wondering why a Yank cares about rugby, so here's a quick explanation...
My best friend got me interested when he started playing in college and ever since I've been interested in playing. There are few local club teams around the area and I've decided that I want to start training this year so I can play next fall (I'm 27 so I don't have a whole lot of time left).

Hopefully watching the Saints will help me understand the game better so I'm ready for next year. I look forward to chatting with you all this upcoming season. If anyone is in the Southeast Michigan area and knows of any pubs to watch the games please let me know!

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi to all the Northampton supporters! I'm also new to the sport and have only been watching the premiership for a season. After watching quite a few games last year I thought Northampton seemed like a great club to support (please let me know if I'm wrong haha). I'm still familiarizing myself with the roster and all the positions. I tried to watch a variety of teams last year so I could decide who to support. I've got a pretty good understanding of the game, but not all of the rules so please excuse my ignorance.

You're probably wondering why a Yank cares about rugby, so here's a quick explanation...
My best friend got me interested when he started playing in college and ever since I've been interested in playing. There are few local club teams around the area and I've decided that I want to start training this year so I can play next fall (I'm 27 so I don't have a whole lot of time left).

Hopefully watching the Saints will help me understand the game better so I'm ready for next year. I look forward to chatting with you all this upcoming season. If anyone is in the Southeast Michigan area and knows of any pubs to watch the games please let me know!
New supporters (and the questions that go with that) are always welcome. Saints are a great club to support, with highs and lows

Any rule/roster/positional questions just ask. What position you thinking of playing?

New supporters (and the questions that go with that) are always welcome. Saints are a great club to support, with highs and lows

Any rule/roster/positional questions just ask. What position you thinking of playing?

Thanks for the welcome! Honestly, I've looked at all the positions and I'm trying to find the best fit for my body type. Right now I'm pretty thin at 6'2 175lbs. (189cm 79kg). I'm hoping to get back to where I was before at 200lbs (91kg) by next year. I'm assuming for my size I'll be a back. I'm not particularly fast, but I have played contact sports in the past so I'm not afraid of hitting. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome! Honestly, I've looked at all the positions and I'm trying to find the best fit for my body type. Right now I'm pretty thin at 6'2 175lbs. (189cm 79kg). I'm hoping to get back to where I was before at 200lbs (91kg) by next year. I'm assuming for my size I'll be a back. I'm not particularly fast, but I have played contact sports in the past so I'm not afraid of hitting. Any recommendations?
I'm not an expert but at that size you could be backrow or centre depending on your skill set. Someone more experienced than me would be better at helping you with that one. I'll probably recommend staring at flanker and could move to the centres at some point maybe

I'd question your choice of club ;) but I'd second that advice.

If you can get back up to 90kg back row, centre would be best.

To be honest, if you're learning the game, back row is probably easier to pick up. Of course there is a lot to learn re. the breakdown etc. but positioning/defending in the centres is pretty tough as well as learning set plays etc. so I'd say would be the more difficult of the two to pick up quickly.

I've always played as a flanker/hooker and I'm shorter and lighter than you, so you'll be fine!

I'd question your choice of club ;) but I'd second that advice.

If you can get back up to 90kg back row, centre would be best.

To be honest, if you're learning the game, back row is probably easier to pick up. Of course there is a lot to learn re. the breakdown etc. but positioning/defending in the centres is pretty tough as well as learning set plays etc. so I'd say would be the more difficult of the two to pick up quickly.

I've always played as a flanker/hooker and I'm shorter and lighter than you, so you'll be fine!
I'm not an expert but at that size you could be backrow or centre depending on your skill set. Someone more experienced than me would be better at helping you with that one. I'll probably recommend staring at flanker and could move to the centres at some point maybe

Thanks for the advice guys. I would definitely like to be in the scrums if possible, so maybe back row is a good fit!

100% - maybe I'm biased, but definitely the most fun positiom to play IMO.

It sounds as though you're more of an athletic type than being particularly bulky, so I'd suggest watching the way guys like Justin Tipuric or Michael Hooper play rather than someone like Sam Warburton or David Pocock.

Yeah I would say I'm more athletic and lean/lengthy right now (hoping to get more bulky). I'll definitely check out some of those guys you mentioned. Thanks

Is there any news when we might be seeing Reinach and Horne at Saints?

Latest posts