• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints 2017 - 2018

Very pleased to see Ludlam getting a proper chance. Looking at the Saracens lineup, he'll be up against Itoje playing at 6 and Wray at 7. Neither is a natural 7 so it'll be interesting to see how much of an influence his breakdown skills will have.

I'm also pleased to see Mitchell on the bench. Less pleased with Burrell starting - particularly given that Stephenson or Hutchinson haven't made the 23.

Very pleased to see Ludlam getting a proper chance. Looking at the Saracens lineup, he'll be up against Itoje playing at 6 and Wray at 7. Neither is a natural 7 so it'll be interesting to see how much of an influence his breakdown skills will have.

I'm also pleased to see Mitchell on the bench. Less pleased with Burrell starting - particularly given that Stephenson or Hutchinson haven't made the 23.
Only a little thing but he Ludlam will be opposite Burger, not Wray. Wray's at 8. At least that's what it says on the Saracens team announcement.

Good to see Ludlam starting. And with regards to Burrell, he had a good last few games of the season, looked back to his best. If he can replicate that it would be fantastic. Not sure if the selection is with Barritt in mind opposite and Malinder's defence?

Looks good though, especially considering you have Francis, Horne, Reinach and North to add into that back line

If i'm honest:

Waller is so average at LH
Hartley is a great leader but not a ball carrier
Brookes isn't fit enough for even the championship
Lawes should be running the lineout by now
Day is brilliant
Wood is a passenger in the tackle and the ruck and offers no carrying game at all
Ludlam is a brilliant young player
Eadie will be a good squad player
Groom is good
Mallinder can't tackle and has no game management
Collions is great
Burrell can't pass or tackle and shouldn't be in the team at all
Nafi is not a top4 13, i can't wait for horne
Foden is looking good on the wing
Ace has played really well so far at FB

I think we need a massive clear out of players and coaches if we want to avoid becoming a mid table team. We have brought poorly for 3 years and have had little or no proper game plan.

Time for a change.

Surely Hill needs a run out at tight head, as well as adding JFR (TH) and the new SA prop (LH).

Malinder is a good player but not a fly half. Francis (10) Malinder (12) Horne (13) looks like a strong midfield, and the experience either side of Harry will help.

Not sure Ace brings enough at fullback for me. Solid and dependable (mostly) but I like a FB who picks great lines or is creative.

Wing looks great

All the problems are either upfront (lots of contracts run out this year which could be interesting) and the systems (specifically defensively) and that's the coaches fault.

So I say we need a spring clean in the forwards and new coaches

Ps. Sorry it got a bit ranty

I know this is far ahead but looks like next year we might have:
9 Groom/Reinach 10 Bigger 11 Foden 12 Francis 13 Horne 14 North 15 Malinder
That doesn't look half bad

Now some improvement in the forwards (especially back row and carrying, I'd take Brussow and Shields) and we can just fast forward this season

I know this is far ahead but looks like next year we might have:
9 Groom/Reinach 10 Bigger 11 Foden 12 Francis 13 Horne 14 North 15 Malinder
That doesn't look half bad

Now some improvement in the forwards (especially back row and carrying, I'd take Brussow and Shields) and we can just fast forward this season
That's if you don't get relegated, which although unlikely I really wouldn't rule out.

Why does Mallinder Sr persist with Mallinder Jr at 10? He has some major flaws in his game but I genuinely believe that he has the potential to be world class at 12/15. He's so clearly not a 10, he doesn't have the game management but has a fantastic ball running game. 10 just isn't accommodating of his skill set. Do you really not have any better options there ATM? When's Francis available?

Surely Worcester are in the mix too

Not denying we're in that mix, but I think of all the teams who'll be in the bottom 4 or 5 we've shown the most promising recent form if you look at the back end of last season. Once we get our big players back I think we'll be alright & get some momentum going.

Bottom half of the table is going to be tighter than ever though.

I don't think there is any chance we will go down. We were missing a lot of players and lost against the European champions. We aren't going to threaten the top 4 but we are league above the bottom 3-4 in the table.

I think it's more the nature of the defeat that has got people talking about Saints as a relegation candidate. They did reasonably well to show some fight and come back in the second half, but they were absolutely destroyed in the first half. It reminds me a bit of the first Bledisloe Cup game a few weeks back - in other words - is it the dominant team taking their foot off the gas or is it a genuine comeback? It's impossible to say.

This week will be a better measure of where Saints are right now. It's a tricky one for Mallinder as anything other than a win doesn't really help. Given that it's at home and it's Leicester, even a narrow defeat and a losing BP would be bad news IMO.

I've said since Picamoles left that I thought Saints would struggle this season, but for me, they'll be in the lower half of the mid table slog from 6-10th rather than being dragged in to a genuine relegation battle.

I agree, I think we'll struggle to get top European rugby next season (might be able to scrape 7th and have the playoff again) but don't think we're in for a relegation fight (fingers crossed)
I reckon a 7-10th finish

So Brussow is coming
Looks like it could be a back row of
6 Wood/Gibson
7 Brussow/Ludlham
8 Eadie/Harrison

Not too bad

We do seem to have 3 TH props (Brooks, Hill and JFR) but keep stick with Brooks who isn't playing well, give Hill a go.
We do need a stronger loose-head in my opinion, can't JFR play here?

Why does Mallinder Sr persist with Mallinder Jr at 10? He has some major flaws in his game but I genuinely believe that he has the potential to be world class at 12/15. He's so clearly not a 10, he doesn't have the game management but has a fantastic ball running game. 10 just isn't accommodating of his skill set. Do you really not have any better options there ATM? When's Francis available?
Agree with Mallinder at 15 long term, assuming Biggar's nailed on at 10 when he arrives and Francis at 12 then if he's to stay at Saints FB is his best bet, I still think If/when his dad goes he'll go too...

Agree with Mallinder at 15 long term, assuming Biggar's nailed on at 10 when he arrives and Francis at 12 then if he's to stay at Saints FB is his best bet, I still think If/when his dad goes he'll go too...
I think if he managed to covert to a 15 he will stay. Then our back line looks pretty tasty for next season (and pretty good this) if they're on form.
9 Groom/Reinach
10 Francis/Bigger
11 Collins/Foden/Estelles
12 Francis/Burrell/Stephenson/Hutchinson
13 Horne/Tuitavake
14 North/Pisi
15 Mallinder/Tuala

Quite a bit of strength in depth there. Loads of centres so Mallinder does need to move or we probably need to let some go

I'd still wince at the idea of Mallinder as my last line of defence

I didn't particularly notice him in defence... which is an improvement over his well-earned reputation.
If I keep not noticing him in defence, I'll happily change my opinion.

Latest posts