• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints 2017 - 2018

You can't compare Exeter ti Saints.

Exeter has been building that squad for like 6/7 years.

Why not? You could argue Mallinder has been doing the same thing with Saints.

My point in comparing them is that Baxter is able to get more out of less glamorous players than Mallinder is. On paper, the Saints side compares pretty favourably to Exeter's but in practice it doesn't. Coaching has to be a significant part of that.

Why not? You could argue Mallinder has been doing the same thing with Saints.

My point in comparing them is that Baxter is able to get more out of less glamorous players than Mallinder is. On paper, the Saints side compares pretty favourably to Exeter's but in practice it doesn't. Coaching has to be a significant part of that.

Yeh but Baxter hasn't gotten to the point where his core players are starting to age.

Saints did win a prem not too long ago.

True ... that seems like a crazy thought right now though. 3 years might as well be 10.

Needed doing, not sure who we could get. In 1 way I'd love to tempt Lancaster over front leinster but don't see it happening

Needed doing, not sure who we could get. In 1 way I'd love to tempt Lancaster over front leinster but don't see it happening

sam-burgess-mike-ford-bath-rugby-south-sydney-rabbitohs_3374078.jpg

Every coach has a shelf life and he'd probably reached his.

@mkersyshull I was thinking exactly the same about Lancaster. Hope they don't go SH for the sake of it.

Interesting to see how certain players do in the new regime. Looking particularly at Mallinder (we can now drop the jnr), Hill and Brookes. If they extract digits, the latter two could still have a shout of Japan.

Every coach has a shelf life and he'd probably reached his.

@mkersyshull I was thinking exactly the same about Lancaster. Hope they don't go SH for the sake of it.

Interesting to see how certain players do in the new regime. Looking particularly at Mallinder (we can now drop the jnr), Hill and Brookes. If they extract digits, the latter two could still have a shout of Japan.
If you look through the squad it's a pretty good one. And with Bigger joining in the summer could be a very exciting back line (half backs and centres)
Groom/Reinach, Bigger, Francis and Horne
Just need someone who can manage them and choose the correct tactics

so by the laws of the game Mallinder jr must now join Tigers right?

Dear god no....
He'll do one of two things now. Really start playing well under a new coach, or leave because the club sacked his dad. I hope he stays and fulfils his potential because he could be a really good player

I've heard that Tom Wood has reluctantly offered to take on the role of Head Coach himself.
"We'll cross that bridge if we come to it. If I was asked to do it for the benefit of the team, I'd consider it very carefully and probably front up."

Last edited:
Problems have all come from not having a quality 10. Can't expect to compete with the choices available. We've also been going backwards since Manoa left in my opinion. Picamoles papered over the cracks temporarily.

Problems have all come from not having a quality 10. Can't expect to compete with the choices available. We've also been going backwards since Manoa left in my opinion. Picamoles papered over the cracks temporarily.
Got to give Eadie a chance at 8 before saying we need a new one. I feel in the forwards it's the props that really need to step up

Latest posts