• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints 2017 - 2018

I didn't particularly notice him in defence... which is an improvement over his well-earned reputation.
If I keep not noticing him in defence, I'll happily change my opinion.
I think that's as far as he'll go. He won't be making big hits, but will do a job (like Goode and Foden both do)

Totally agreed. The lad cops a lot of flak, but has all the raw ingredients to be very very good.

Can't help feeling he'd be better away from his Dad though. That goes for anyone, Ford, Faz or whoever.

Based upon the last two performances, I am going to have to revise my prediction ... well done Saints.

Exciting to see Lawes playing so well along with Ribbans and Collins.

On the first game we're relegation candidates, on the last 2 games pushing for top 4. Hope the first game was just a blip and we don't see a season on inconsistency

So a reflection after the last 2 weeks (maybe we all over reacted after the first game)
Lots of players doing well
1) Back line needs slickeninng up but I'll wait for new signings to settle and an out an out 10 to be fit before judgement
2) lineout working very well
3) carrying from forwards and backs good

4) big need for improvement - scrum. How can this be fixed? Try different props? New scrum coach? (My calls for West out have taken a back seat because of all the other areas going well)

New wish list. In order and not a final list

1) new coaching team (especially DOR and head coach)
2) LH prop
3) Winger (for next year to replace North but not a big money signing)

Thoughts?

New wish list. In order and not a final list

1) new coaching team (especially DOR and head coach)
2) LH prop
3) Winger (for next year to replace North but not a big money signing)

Thoughts?

Your linked to Bassett and matt Symons from Wasps in TRP.

Bassett would be a good replacement for North and will save you a marquee spot.

Your linked to Bassett and matt Symons from Wasps in TRP.

Bassett would be a good replacement for North and will save you a marquee spot.
Bassett would be good, and I do like the look of Symons but don't this we need a second row.
Need a new DOR after this evening

Will Mallinder walk? Here's to hoping.

Another performance lacking anything positive.

Mallinder won't walk. I'm not generally one to advocate sacking coaches, but surely the evidence suggests he is not the man to take Saints forward.

I did say at the beginning of the season that I thought Saints would struggle and after eating my words for a short spell, it looks as though I may have been mainly correct.

I look at their squad and I struggle to see how/why they're playing so poorly and shipping so many points. Obviously injuries and suspensions haven't helped but they have better quality in depth than most clubs but Mallinder doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of them.

Their first choice 23 lacks a little x-factor, but it's a team that's mostly made up of test players and solid Premiership performers.

1. Waller - solid Prem player
2. Hartley - England captain
3. Ford-Robinson - solid Prem player
4. Lawes - top quality test player
5. Day - solid Prem player
6. Wood - experienced international
7. Gibson - solid Prem player
8. Harrison - test player
9. Groom - test player
10. Francis - test player
11. Collins - good, young Prem player
12. Burrell - test player
13. Horne - experienced international
14. North - experienced international
15. Mallinder - good, young Prem player

16. Haywood - solid Prem player
17. Van Wyk - looks decent enough
18. Brookes/Hill - test players
19. Ribbans - good, young Prem player
20. Ludlam - good, young Prem player
21. Reinach - test player
22. Myler - solid Prem player
23. Foden - test player

Add in players like Stephenson, Hutchison, Tuala and Eadie and that's a very solid squad. Brussow will add to the mix too.

Compared to say, Exeter, I'd argue that player for player, Saints arguably have the better squad. The problem seems to be mainly with coaching ...

This is exactly what I was thinking, it might not be a Premiership winning squad due to lack of x-factor but it's a squad good enough for fighting for the semis

We need new coaches, it ha to be the reason

Compared to say, Exeter, I'd argue that player for player, Saints arguably have the better squad. The problem seems to be mainly with coaching ...

You can't compare Exeter ti Saints.

Exeter has been building that squad for like 6/7 years.

Latest posts