Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
6Nations.jpg

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (10/03/2012 - 14:30)

Wales.png
Versus Magners.png
Italy.png

Ref: George Clancy

WALES:
Leigh Halfpenny, Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips; Gethin Jenkins (c), Matthew Rees, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Danny Lydiate, Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau
BENCH: Ken Owens, Paul James, Luke Charteris, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams

Last edited:
Slow first half for Wales but they'll pick it up in the second.

I think this could be much like the Irish win of Italy especially if Wales play to their strenghts they will be far too strong for the Italians, Jamie Roberts wont play or be involved and will be saved for the final game against France expect Scott Williams to start with Ashley Beck or Gavin Henson on the bench, other than that I dont envisage to many changes from Gatland could see the now fit again Luke Charteris getting a call up and having some involvement but it may be a bit too soon for him.

I've heard about the experimental side thing but not Bergamasco at 10 :lol:... are you joking?

Ignore my post, im an idiot :p

Last edited by a moderator:
On Italian message boards, it is rumoured that Brunel may field an experimental side with Mirco Bergamasco at possibly at 10

I have heard a few saying this as they want to have a full strength side to face Scotland in what would be the wooden spoon game.

Fair enough,
What happened to Orquera and that other Italian fly half Bocchino?
I thought Marcato was a handy player, but heard he's playing Italian club rugby now

I heard talk that they were considering Gerard Fraser a few years back. Why didn't that ever come to anything?

Italy have called up Aironi player Joshua Furno an Australian born lock to replace Carlo del Fava after he was injured for Aironi and ruled out of the six nations Furno who is 22 has one cap, Luke Charteris has been added to the Welsh squad has I assumed would happen in a previous post and Gavin Henson's hopes of playing have been dented as a calf injury ruled him out of the Blues last match.

here is a lowdown on Italian fly halves not in the squad

Luciano Orquera: one of the most pathetic tacklers of all time, and doesn't make it up with good goal kicking either, has a decent pass but overall a pants player who would struggle to make a Championship or ProD2 side, was selected for the squad for the 6 Nations but pulled out injured, returned last week but not in contention for Wales

Andrea Marcato: not that great player, but was more decent than Burton or Orquera, currently playing for Calvisano and has a body made out of glass, spending most of the last two seasons injured, came back this season but last weekend went off after 3 minutes injured again

Fraser was mentioned around the same time they selected Gower, but it then was found out he was not qualified (tried to qualify because he married an Italian but failed), and his spells in Italy hadn't been 36 months consecutively, he stayed in Italy until 2010 and was just about to become qualified and then left to play in France with Bordeaux, he is now 33 as well

note that Italy are looking around the globe for a solution:

James Ambrosini an Italian qualified Australian Under 20 international is joining Treviso next year, Argentinecentre/fly half Juan Pablo Socino who is currently with Nottingham is also being targeted as he is Italian qualified

whilst full back Julien Caminati who is French but Italian qualified and the goal kicker for Brive turned them down in favour of trying for the France team

I've also heard Jonathan Wisniewski is Italian qualified but like Caminati turned it down in favour of trying for France.

Are Italy really struggling that much with proper home grown players to look over seas for players.

Don't get me wrong there have been enough Welshmen over the years who had "dodgy" accents, and a few now are not born in the valleys, but for me players have to have an affinity with a country and consider it their home country, not just look for international caps.

It should be who do you care about and support, where is your heart and that's the only team you can play for. end of!

I've also heard Jonathan Wisniewski is Italian qualified but like Caminati turned it down in favour of trying for France.

Ye he is he turned Mallet down in 2009 I think.

Also can posters please ensure they are not double posting. Thanks.

WALES:

Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips; Gethin Jenkins (c), Matthew Rees, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Danny Lydiate, Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau

BENCH- Ken Owens, Paul James, Luke Charteris, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams

Does anyone know how serious Sam's knee injury is? I am hoping they have looked at the opposition and decided he will be more important against France (not putting Italy down!)

I would have liked Scott Williams to come into the centres, and given Roberts a rest, although I think this may still happen, Wales like to put people who are not fully fit into the side then change about. With Charteris on the bench, if all goes to plan we could have a full squad come the France game. This would give us a nice selection headache when Sam comes in, who drops out of the 22, and which locks start.

Lock used to be our weakest position, but we are looking so much stronger there, I feel we now are short of quality props outside our 22.

Gatland experimented once against Italy and it almost backfired, good to see that he has selected a strong side.

Tipuric wont let us down and may just show conclusively that we really do have an alternative at 7.
hope that Jr is truly fit or that his inclusion is to fool the Italians, a half fit Jamie wont do us any favours.
Rees, on the park but his open side prop is captain, odd that?????

Gatland experimented once against Italy and it almost backfired, good to see that he has selected a strong side.

to be fair that was an away match, and Italy are poor away from home so I don't think Wales would struggle even if they did experiment

I remember from that Italy match in 2009 we learnt that Yapp, Rhys Thomas, Jon Thomas and Andy Powell were all not good enough so there was something to be taken from it

Latest posts