• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

Troll? We're trolls if we don't like the game I suspect? o_O You think everyone who says it's bad is an RC fanboy?
Who mentioned Rugby Challenge? I didn't.

A very odd/defensive post, that...

You know how you seem to think its everyone else that has issues ..... Yeah, im not at all sure about that.
Oh, the personal touch. I like that.

Troll Translation Matrix Activated:
You know how I like to spam the hell of these forums with antagonistic, negative posts designed to only annoy other members..... Yeah, that's all i do.

First impressions when the demo loaded up was disappointment. However, I stuck with it and played 8 games on it and I now KNOW I will not be buying this. In short, it's pathetic. I DETEST side view in rugby games, so that didn't help, but the defence setting is now far too fiddly and the gameplay is IDENTICAL to 08. As for the rucks!!!! Wtf?????? The passing isn't as good as it was in 08 and overall it's a HUGE disappointment!!!!

Sounds pretty bad, but I haven't played it yet, so will wait and see. Side view not helping wasn't a critiquing masterpiece, but the part that really sold me on "I'll check this out meself", was the rucks!!!! Wtf????? piece of descriptive terminology.

I certainly hope the game is at least better than the insight from the criticism. :)

alrighty...

I've had my first few games (halves!) on it and my first impression is I like it, its good and it is very similar to HB's previous games in the series.

First game I drew 3-3 playing as England with a Flood drop goal on 40mins. Initially I was surprised at how fast the gameplay was, but I suspect that was due to me trying to remember the old controls now on an Xbox360 controller (previous versions I always played on PS2) and trying not to use the button combinations that are programmed into my brain for playing FIFA.

Difficulty level for the 1st game seemed good, but that was probably down to my crap controls. Subsequent games are now getting much easier as I spot the gaps (same gaps in R06 & R08) in midfield and sprint around them.

Hape & Tindall are set to too fast in my opinion!

I've drawn 2 games, lost 1 and won 3 so far, with my win margin gradually increasing up to 14-0 and above. Though I play in a way as to not always exploit the known AI gaps just so I can score the most tries and win by huge margins. I like to keep it close up front and attempt as many life-like and intricate play as possible.

Things I've liked...

- Quick-tap penalties - much improved, you no longer get smashed after touching the ball to your foot
- Scrumhalf pick up from a ruck - this has been done really well, becomes a viable option to use now and not only to burst 2-3yards for the tryline
- Pick & go from a ruck - again, this is now a viable option for play.. yards can be gained - really like it
- Winning my own put in at a scrum, dillydallying over a set piece choice and the opposition getting a shove on and winning the ball back through the scrum... colour me surprised!
- General pick & go forward play from rucks/mauls & scrums feels improved and useful ingame
- Commentary, sounds very fluid and in keeping with real life commentary. I never listen out carefully (in any sports game) to see if they match up saying exactly with what move has just been performed on the pitch, but as background noise and soundbytes while playing, my opinion is that it sounds very good.
- Grubber kicks, tried this once and was not superman tackled or made to knock on, so from that limited perspective its a 100% improvement :)
- The AI does infringe, initial memory is that I got 2 penalties in a brief spell of a match in my own half when SA were loosing and trying madly to win back possession. This was a very rare occurrence in previous ***les.

Generally, all the animations while the same/very similar to previous ***les, run much smoother or are better suited to this engine their using.

Dislikes...
- same old gaps as previous ***les in the midfield, but we're on Easy, so letting this one slide until I play the full version
- graphics... not great for this generation at all, but I had my eyes open coming into this as to what they would be like, so I'm not going to complain about them when I was already prepared for it. There is a slightly cell-shaded quality to them as Teh Mite had mentioned, but after a few games now this is becoming less noticeable.

Undecided...
Still getting to grips with the Ruck play, initial feel is that I like it, but I need to give it more legs to see how it develops. I do like the rucking strategy options though, as nearest man has helped me out a few times where I'd have been done over in past ***les.
Setplays... not really used them as yet
Lineouts... not seen too many so far, but have seen the AI steal one from me - waiting to see just how random/automated this aspect might become
Chip kick... I've actually not tried it yet

Overall at first impression, IMO it is nothing like a ground breaking or tipple A ***le, but it is a smooth, well paced rendition of rugby that I can already see (with the numerous tweaks and improvements) will be a great addition to the genre, particularly when online play is activated in the full ***le (if the online setup is capable of giving seamless match). There are that much more actual useful gameplay options for a human player to use now, that when faced against another actual person, it should be a proper contest.

(I've never actually played against another person on any of the previous ***les, so am keen at having to pit my wits against another thinking/breathing opponent!)

I agree 100%. Yea, i am a little dissappointed with the graphics, but will lose some graphic quality to full player control, control is much tighter and less animated, all the animations feel more user control, particularly with the forwards at the breakdown you can run in any direction, not forced into a forward animation, feel like you have much more options and variety.
Cheers and Salud

Last edited:
On the plus side, all the troll posts seen on here means there's lesst chance of pubesant morons shouting expletives when playing online.

So people giving their opinions on the game are trolling?

Last edited by a moderator:
<meta charset="utf-8">I have to say I loved it. It was so fun and I really just want to play the full version right now. Commentary was good and wasn't as painful as RC. South africa are a bit to dominant at the rucks thought and won most my ball hahahah. Played with with my bro as south africa and The Ai were good for being on easy. De Villers pilfered the ruck and ran through middle to score. very impressed I must say

Why do you think this?
I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, I'm just wondering why you think 08 was much better etc.

well iv played rugby 06 back on xbox and played rugby 08 on pc they particular the same and i really enjoined it. besides a few things that needed to be fixed and added, but it felt smooth when kicking the ball. the way the ball bounces and looks. in this new rugby game feels weird and cheaply made. i still remember when i purchased rugby 08 for my console i was scared that it will be not good and as soon as i played it i loved it, the gameplay in 08 i like more then this.

one thing ill point out that i liked in the new rugby game that rugby 08 didn't have, is when passing the player actually runs on the ball while in 08 he stood there when u pass the ball

ill try playing the demo again, as i have experienced with many games at first impression to be crap and later to be great. will keep updated.

Last edited:
well iv played rugby 06 back on xbox and played rugby 08 on pc they particular the same and i really enjoined it. besides a few things that needed to be fixed and added, but it felt smooth when kicking the ball. the way the ball bounces and looks. in this new rugby game feels weird and cheaply made. i still remember when i purchased rugby 08 for my console i was scared that it will be not good and as soon as i played it i loved it, the gameplay in 08 i like more then this.

ill try playing the demo again, as i have experienced with many games at first impression to be crap and later to be great. will keep updated.

Hey, you can dislike it as much as you want, your at least criticising it without making a song and dance over it. :)

^LOL. i really like rugby games, but i just thought this one wasen't for my likings

ill stick to COD :D

one thing ill point out that i liked in the new rugby game that rugby 08 didn't have, is when passing the player actually runs on the ball while in 08 he stood there when u pass the ball

That's fair enough - Like I said, everyone will their own opinion of the game, you not liking it is not wrong, neither is my liking it
Was just wondering what it was about the demo you didn't like

I think with regards to RWC, that many people were expecting it to be a rugby "sim" rather than a game - I believe HB said that that's what they were working towards?
To me it feels like a fun game rather than a simulator - has anyone played the "arcade" versions of NFL and Madden they sell on the XBL Arcade thing? It's obviously not as arcadey as them, but i think it feels more like a pick up, play a few games for fun, put down again, kind of game rather than a sim game
If any of that makes sense :D

It is an incentive to upgrade to gold. Gold members get a week of exclusive access to the demo then it is available for everyone. I don't see it changing...
Thats fair enough,
ill have to wait the week though unfortunately :(

Played a fair bit now. A couple of points.

- Its too easy which really takes the enjoyment out of it. Really cant judge that though until playing the higher difficulties.
- It kinda feels really cheap. I dont know but I don't get hit with a feeling of huge quality.
- It felt good for the first couple of minutes to play a rugby game again

I am very deflated right now. I still think that this will be a purchase for me though. Playing against real people should still be fun.

Found a new tackle animation. One tackler goes for the legs and the other hits the chest(from behind) Hape got pretty much destroyed

That's fair enough - Like I said, everyone will their own opinion of the game, you not liking it is not wrong, neither is my liking it
Was just wondering what it was about the demo you didn't like

I think with regards to RWC, that many people were expecting it to be a rugby "sim" rather than a game - I believe HB said that that's what they were working towards?
To me it feels like a fun game rather than a simulator - has anyone played the "arcade" versions of NFL and Madden they sell on the XBL Arcade thing? It's obviously not as arcadey as them, but i think it feels more like a pick up, play a few games for fun, put down again, kind of game rather than a sim game
If any of that makes sense :D

Well if that's the case, I may not like it that much meself. Still, I think I might give it a go for a while first and see how I feel. Nothing better to do.....

Hurry up on PS3!!!

Played a fair bit now. A couple of points.

- Its too easy which really takes the enjoyment out of it. Really cant judge that though until playing the higher difficulties.
- It kinda feels really cheap. I dont know but I don't get hit with a feeling of huge quality.
- It felt good for the first couple of minutes to play a rugby game again

I am very deflated right now. I still think that this will be a purchase for me though. Playing against real people should still be fun.

Well, there we go. Someone else didn't like it and didn't have to start ranting. Fair enough to ya. :)

My review

Pros:
Super fun
Love to smash those poms

Cons
Don't really care
People are a bunch of idiots that critise this game( Fed to much games that have a huge budget)

Good to hear the feedback guys good or bad.

Some things to note though

- Demo is easy
- We limited the amount of options for the demo to default options. So that means sideline camera which has always been our default camera.

This is the great thing about demos, it lets you get a taste of what the full game will bring at the end of August. To choose not to play the full version is everyone's given right but the best feedback is constructive feedback.

Ask anybody the top 3 things they would have fixed about Rugby 08... one of the things definitely would have been the bunching... But still it remains! I don't know why this wasn't addressed, didn't HB come to this very forum and ask for ideas for improvement etc? And none of you guys thought to mention the 'bunching'!!!
I don't know how this slipped through the gaps, but it did...
A blanket could cover all the chasing players...

Another thing, I know the crowd will always be repeated character models. But how 3! yes 3! end up sitting next to each other doing the exact same cheering motion, wearing the exact same clothes is beyond me...

I'm a PS3 man so still waiting till tomorrow. However looking at the posts there's more negative than positive. People cancelling pre-orders. That says a lot. Generally when you pre order you have great intentions to get the game. If someone plays a demo and then decides to cancel is not a good thing at all. I hope HB read these comments.

Latest posts