• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

poo all over it, i like it :p

Yer i thought it was a bit weird, just thought it was a bit "captain Obvious" that they put "international" above the sides :p :p ah well all fun fun :D

Right then, maybe its just me but I've just switched TV's and played it on my big 50 inch (yes i'm a smug bugger :p), and noticed that in the Team selection screen has a category above the team names - "International". Now being a World cup game, it should be obvious that it contains all international sides surely??? Just a spot, and Adrenaline is pumping after a mighty Gym sesh, so its probs just my brain working over time.. But could this be a hint to "Representative" or unlockable sides. One can only dream i guess.

Played quite a few games against friends, and we all can't wait for full version to get our RWC 11 Drinking rules underway :D

How'd it hold up in multiplayer? My mates are being annoying and havent played it with me yet <_< majority are diveball fans who will only play fifa.
Also post up your drinking rules :D

How'd it hold up in multiplayer? My mates are being annoying and havent played it with me yet <_< majority are diveball fans who will only play fifa.
Also post up your drinking rules :D

So far, its been positive. Feedback has been

"Its like Rugby 08, but its even more fun"

"Most frustrating thing is that its only England v South Africa, for one 5 minute half" (been 1 or two tense 7-7 draws).

Playing against a real person certainly ups the difficulty, and makes it even more rewarding when scoring a try. Found you have to play some sort of "kicking game", even against those that aren't rugby enthusiasts.

Certainly cant wait to get our drink on when released, so i can smash em with my Welsh side ;)

poo all over it, i like it :p

Yer i thought it was a bit weird, just thought it was a bit "captain Obvious" that they put "international" above the sides :p :p ah well all fun fun :D

I'd noticed that too, but presumed that it was some kind of hangover from when they thought the game might have something more in relation to teams.

Although should it be that you can unlock the ability to create your own World XV, Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemipshere selections (unlicensable sides by my understanding of their names), I wouldn't mind in the slightest. This is just me dreaming really.

Liking it so far but VERY, VERY EA08. Looking forward to full version on 26th?

Gonna try it on the home cinema thats just been finished...

rodcinema.jpg

Attachments

• rodcinema.jpg
    rodcinema.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
hell yeah Draggs - gonna need some competition - I've always thought i was a GOD on 08 but never had the opportunity to play it online

Had a couple of games with my brothers last night. Graphics are a bit ave, and its very similar to the older games but it's a really fun game. I may end up grabbing a copy later on.

Liking it so far but VERY, VERY EA08. Looking forward to full version on 26th?

Gonna try it on the home cinema thats just been finished...

rodcinema.jpg

That's a nice picture of you, did you take it on holiday in Yemen?

In a word,....underwhelming. It was nice to play Rugby on the PS3 I guess, but after having played 08 and every other rugby game bar 2004 *shiver* on my pc till my fingers bled i was more excited during the download.

Pros: it's rugby on the PS3, new commentary (felt like I was watching SKYSports), minor graphical update.

Cons: errr anything you may have found irritating in 08 is more than likely still there.

Can't comment on the online play as it's not implemented in the demo, but it's probably the feature I'm looking most forward to. I would have settled for 08 with online play anyway. The rucking system is a move in the right direction, might be more so with the difficulty upped. I think the worst aspect for me was the inability to change the camera on the demo, either that or I'm a mug for not finding the option to change it. Also the use of the right stick to pull off particuler moves felt a little unatural for me after having played so much 08, I hope there's a "classic" button config in the full version.

Flash graphics are fine and all but if the gameplay is rubbish I find myself turning a game off for the most part. So I'll wait for a demo or review of RC before commiting to buy, but so far RWC11 may just fill that much needed gap in my PS3 collection, mainly due to one very important feature...............................did I mention online play.

Right then, maybe its just me but I've just switched TV's and played it on my big 50 inch (yes i'm a smug bugger :p), and noticed that in the Team selection screen has a category above the team names - "International". Now being a World cup game, it should be obvious that it contains all international sides surely???

I'd noticed that too, but presumed that it was some kind of hangover from when they thought the game might have something more in relation to teams.

No-one read my post... *sniff*

Well just finished playing it about 6 times as each team and even though I had lowered my expectations after reading a lot of the comments here, I still found myself feeling pretty apathetic to the demo. I'm in the same boat as those in the forum who felt releasing a demo with an easy only mode was a poor decision and would have had a definite negative impact on the 08 veterans, who have been leaning towards RC.

The sameiness of the gameplay with 08 wasn't great, but the problem is it resulted in a total absence of wow moments, where you got a buzz out of scoring an amazing try or pulled a win out against the odds, or just saw or did something NEW. Medium difficulty would probably have helped, but after playing a heavily modded 08 (on PC) intensively in the leadup to playing the demo there just wasn't enough there to really draw me in. It' not just that this offering is so light in terms of game modes, teams etc. but for 08 players there is also very little on offer in terms of gameplay changes as well.

IMO anyone who enjoys single player modes only will get next to nothing out of RWC11, it's saving grace may be its online, but even that's so bare bones, with virtually no multiplayer supporting mechanisms such as a basic leaderboard tracking wins and losses.

Onto other aspects of the demo.
Grpahics: not my cup of tea, all the players have strange builds with fat asses that sort of stick out and leaves them stuck in a pose which makes it look like they're trying to squeeze out a quiet one. They also appear to be packing semi boners or are wearing cod pieces under their shorts. I'll probably take a bit of stick for noting such details, but it looks strange and a bit creepy.

The stadiums looked too 'boxy' and artificial and the synchronised crowd detracted from the atmosphere/immersion. In 08 you sort of blocked out the stadium and crowd and forgot they even existed, RWC reminds you they are there and it's not a good thing in this case.

Animations: All the same from 08. Sure they have tweaked them slowed some down, sped some up, but its just too similar to provide any excitement or enjoyment seeing the same old animations you've been playing with for 4 or so years. A complete new mocap needed to be done IMO to update and freshen up the onscreen action. In a sport with so much dynamic contact seeing the same animations for years and years gets very very boring.

Gameplay: nuff said above I believe. Also should throw my vote in with those saying kicking physics felt better in 08, bounce of the ball in RWC is very unnatural. Lineouts in 08 for me were better, at least there was something to do, in 2011 dumbing down this component in a game that is already too familiar just felt unneccessary and unwelcome. Attempted to try some of the new gameplay features, but the easy difficulty makes them so unnecessary that you end up feeling as if you are forcing yourself to do them for the sake of it.

Many on this forum may recall making up rules for themselves on 08 to make it more difficult (such as never changing your player), using the new features had the same forced feeling.

Sound: Good job here, captures the atmosphere with the music and crowd chants and tolerable commentary. Really sticks out though against the rest of the game which is of a much lower quality.

If there was no alternative, being the rugby fan I am I would have still got this game simply out of desperation. I was disillusioned with what I had seen of RWC so far after being a big 06 and 08 supporter and the demo did nothing to improve that opinion. I had very little actual 'fun' playing it, the same way I feel about 08 now after 4 years of playing that and RWC felt like I'd never left (not a good thing). I may still pick it up if RC is absolute rubbish in the gameplay department AND I can get it for less that $30NZD.

Well said

what ive taken out of the demo, is that its the small things that are going to make this game. i really like the dummy pass and how an injection of the sprint button opens up holes. i dont mind the rucking system, i think its the best weve seen (so far....) i also am enjoying the foward play, and passing/running from the ruck. the way you can get a foward in the ruck to pick up and dart up the fringes of the ruck, or from the halfback is great, and will be more usefull in the full game, with close matches when your camped in their 22.

ive got a feeling that this game will have the jlr or 06 factor and once its been put down (and with lack of game modes it will) but then picked back up and people decide to have a bit of fun with it, is when its true value will come out. i think what weve descovered is that although bunching is in all game difficulties, but it will be harder to break the line than in the demo. ie - you cant just run crossfeild then turn the corner to make a line break. but really - i dont know how much people can really expect from the bunching, yes its a bit rediculas that its a bit like fooseball (sp?) but the game is played in lines, and often laterally anyway. so to make it realistic and however not like youve got everyone anyware is very difficult.

my overall feel and opinion of this game is that it is simmilar to 08 with better gameplay but with alot of its [rugby 08] flaws and what we expected. i think whats been lacking in the last few rugby games is that it hasnt been new. of course i dont expect completely new gameplay but it needs to feel new. i think thats what the overall opinion that ive gathered is. it seems that it is 08 on ps3 plus some. which im not saying is a bad thing, but you know.

COOL!! But was it a real hold up or did the player get hit hard an drop the ball?
Cheer and Salud

I had it too, I tried to score in the far corner with Fourie but Foden had a cracking tackle which looked like (not sure though, camera's far away and you can't use the manual replay) Fourie got brought down short then turned on his back as momentum took him over. Quite a cool feature. Looks like we won;t see it as much as RC though (Rugby League 3 didn't do it too badly, apart from when the wii controller decided it didn't want to put the ball down in goal and they'd tackle and hold you up <_<)
Think the TRF playtest guys didn;t even think this was in the game, because they didn't come accross it.

Latest posts