• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: Ireland - Wales (08-10-2011, 18:00)

Do you understand the difference between tipping a team to win and writing someone off?

You write someone off if they have no chance of winning. That clearly was not the case for 95+% (probably 99+%) of posters on here, pundits in the media and fans in general.

I think he's trying to add a romantic notion to the tale. Sort of 'France vs NZ 07' or 'ENG VS AUS 07' story about overcoming the odds or some tragic crap like that.

looking towards the this game ireland were the favourites but as the game got closer wales became favourites in a lot of the media, and when i got up to watch this game it just didnt feel like ireland were going to win, more gutted for the older guys o'driscoll, o'gara and o'connell their last world cup fizzled out
i think o'gara was the wrong man for this game because ireland didnt play a kicking game they tried things that perhaps would have worked better with sexton,
now the transition from o'gara to sexton must fully happen to the next 6 nations

I think he's trying to add a romantic notion to the tale. Sort of 'France vs NZ 07' or 'ENG VS AUS 07' story about overcoming the odds or some tragic crap like that.

Well no ... nothing of the sort. In your tiny mind if you believe that then I'll let you have that.

At least we are not going home on a plane :p

Just like the Murphys.....your not bitter!!!!!!

au contraire (or however you spell it). If you dig around the most recent threads you'll find I want Wales to win the tournament for the good of Home Nations and Northern Hemisphere rugby.

Wow ... such a cool guy.

I'm glad you were able to acknowledge that.

hatoffwed.jpg

Well done Wales. Not the outcome I was looking for, but I guess I'll be a gentleman about it.
Aahhhh, screw it...

Bite-my-shiny-metal-a-futurama-3139580-1280-1024.jpg

Really, really hope Wales can do it now, they were superb today. Could be a top side for years to come.

Just out of interest how did this thread turn in to a slagging match between England and Wales.

OH MAN.. Cmon IRELAND.. Had the bucks on you..

Anyways.. The Welsh were on Fire... They look like they are hitting great form at the right time..

OH MAN.. Cmon IRELAND.. Had the bucks on you..

Anyways.. The Welsh were on Fire... They look like they are hitting great form at the right time..
You learned the hard way...never believe in Ireland ... we always cock up :p

So I was on my way to work today when I saw a huge brick wall.

It reminded me of Wales' defending yesterday.

Tehehe, love the total change in attitude towards Wales and Warren Gatland.

I think this Welsh team stands a good chance against France, so it will be very interesting who goes through.

Snoop I agree and when I called for new faces etc I meant over the 4 years as in let's now start a new cycle and gradually work through it but like we need to rotate our teams frequently and well build a squad. We did it to a certain extent here but I'd like us to take it another step.

As in look at a team like this in time:
1. Healy will still be young enough
2. Best and well Sherry is ready I think to be in squads and will overtake Cronin and there is the option of Strauss
3. Hagan gradually to takeover from Ross
4. Donnacha Ryan I think will be better than we think
5. Nagle/Tuohy eventually taking over from the big man when he goes
6. Ferris is still young
7. Sean O'Brien as he would be 8 but Heaslip is still young too
8. Heaslip.
Eventually have players O'Mahony, Ryan, McLaughlin, Ruddock in the mix too
9. Murray will continue to get better.
10. Sexton with Keatley as back-up. Sexton and Murray in time could form a superb halfback team
11. Earls. Really came of age in this World Cup and is a winger.
12. BOD to move there now with eventually maybe Luke Fitz or Macken or someone useful taking over in time.
13. Bowe maybe for now plenty of candidates in a year or 2
14. Trimble is still young despite been around a long time.
15. Felix Jones when fit.

Then add in backs like Cave, Spence, O'Malley maybe, Zebo in time and a few more and there is the bones of a superb pool of players over the next 4 years

You can add Jared Payne to your list of centres too

Edit:- but not this season apparently ... just found out that he's ruptured his Achilles tendon

Last edited:
Yes he is, but because he hasn't played international rugby I think if he gains Irish citizenship or whatever he's available for selection???? I think that's what he means.

This game was spectacular and my game of the weekend. Roberts is just a beast isn't he. The amount of times he crashes and gets up and does it again is a real statement for players all around because everyone seems to be just getting hurt lately.

I'm hoping for a Wales - All Blacks Final... Should be interesting.

Latest posts